La'Mical Perine: Touble in the RB room?

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Lemons said he was miserable last year because Mcelwain's offense sucked the life out of the team.
Idk if that's what Perine is tweeting about. Perine has to know that this looks like he's saying he's not happy. RB and WR might have some unhappy players a few more games into the season. Let's see who gets touches. Pierce is a beast and might be the best back. But i bet he gets the 4 game redshirt treatment. It's between Scarlett, Davis and Perine. That's one guy too many when we have a bunch of WRs that need touches too. Plus we have a QB that's going to keep it on some option plays. Is Perine the odd man out? Probably. I like Perine's ability a lot. I think I'm probably in the minority on this board when it comes to Perine. I still think they need to feed Davis first, then Scarlett. **The offensive line will have to figure out how to run block first though**
It's hard to know what really going on. Only Scarlett graded champion and he did squat with the ball in his hands. I did see him pass block and that's probably what's going to keep him in front. Most of these running backs either can't pass block or wont. I'm also still waiting for one of these guys to take it to the house. Pierce could have juked the last tackler on one of his runs but wanted to run over him instead.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Perine is the best all around back on the team.....Davis doesn't appear to be 100% and as we all know any of these backs are only one play away from getting more touches due to injuries.
I don't see him as the best. I think that Frosh kid was probably better in HS, and is certainly better now. He did most of his damage running behind the 2nd and 3rd string OL, although I admit the 1st teamers weren't stellar.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
I’m a Perine fan. I’ll say that right here, right now.

Perine got 2 touches for 28 yards.

Pierce got 9 touches for 73 yards.

WTF? Pierce led the entire team w/ touches?
Yes, because he is the best RB on the field and he's only a baby.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
You don't like comedy?

You're getting pretty defensive about a joke(that wasn't aimed at you).
Calm down!

tenor.gif

Jack o' Diamonds

My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts...
Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2015
I’m a Perine fan. I’ll say that right here, right now.

Perine got 2 touches for 28 yards.

Pierce got 9 touches for 73 yards.

WTF? Pierce led the entire team w/ touches?
I suspect the reason Pierce got more touches, is because he was in during trash time. We weren't passing, just running clock...

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I don't see him as the best. I think that Frosh kid was probably better in HS,
Best all around as in blocking, catching and running...Davis has better break away/homerun ability when he's 100% and the freshmen looks good so far against inferior competition but I doubt he evens knows the protection assignments at this point.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Best all around as in blocking, catching and running...Davis has better break away/homerun ability when he's 100% and the freshmen looks good so far against inferior competition but I doubt he evens knows the protection assignments at this point.
I doubt that too. Only Scarlett graded champ -- probably because he pass blocked.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
These coaches will share the rock.

We have not even gotten into the season and Mullen is a Run First and likes fresh legs.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
We have a lot of RBs which is a good problem to have for the team but it might bruise some egos in that they have to share carries. On the other hand they don't get beat down like Alabama's running backs with nothing left when they go to the NFL.

Well maybe 2 at most should be getting most of the carries in games that don't involve cupcakes or haven't turned into blowouts. I wonder if Perine feels he will be the odd man out on getting many touches with Davis getting healthier.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

Scarlett was a big liability pass blocking in 2016 so I guess he has improved a lot there. He literally let a few guys run right around him without even making an effort to block them.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Well maybe 2 at most should be getting most of the carries in games that don't involve cupcakes or haven't turned into blowouts. I wonder if Perine feels he will be the odd man out on getting many touches with Davis getting healthier.

I think we just over analyzed his tweet. Subsequent comments dont seem to indicate that he has any issues. Someone said Lemons said Mac sucked the life out of the team. Perine may have just been responding to that by saying nothing could take away his love for the game.

I do believe one or two backs may soon become frustrated if they don’t get carries.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
I’m not ready to jump off the Scarlett train yet. His first game he played in a year and a half or better. I love our RB depth, not really too nervous with any of them back there. With Franks being a big part of the running game now too, carries will just be limited. At some point Mullen will probably limit it to 2 guys getting the bulk of the carriers.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
It's a good problem to have, but we do have too many competent backs right now so it's going to be impossible to keep them all happy without production suffering. Like someone mentioned above, at most, you want to split reps between 2 of them in competitive games because they need the carries to get into a rhythm.

If they all are almost interchangeable then the best way to keep them content is to play the older guys telling the younger guys they will get the mop-up duty while waiting their turn. The older guys should be better at pass protection too so there is that benefit. So basically it should probably be Scarlett and Perine getting most of the important carries with the other guys splitting the remainder. If Scarlett and Perine have big years they could move on to the NFL making Davis, Pierce, Lemons the "old" guys and the incoming freshman next in line.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Starting this week we’ll start to see who the coaches trust the most...nothing from the first game is really all that relevant with the backs at this point.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Starting this week we’ll start to see who the coaches trust the most...nothing from the first game is really all that relevant with the backs at this point.

Agree....and all backs better understand that every touch matters. Better see that relentless effort DM is preaching.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.