Let's talk defense versus South Carolina

QueenCityGator

University of Florida Alumnus
Aug 12, 2014
How are they going to perform? Usually we can take for granted that our defense will do fine (half of Kentucky game and entire Alabama game notwithstanding), but when you play an opponent who has scored under 28 points only once, than there is cause for genuine concern. What's going to be our strength/weakness - run defense or secondary?

In the words of our Dear Leader, discuss!

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'd focus on shutting down the run, trying to make them one dimensional. Put Thompson under pressure and for sure he'll hit some passes but he will also throw some picks IMO

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Let Hargraves chase their best WR and put pressure on the QB,

Floridagator

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
I'm actually liking our secondary way more after the last game but keep in mind that was Vandy! SOS will have a home run play or two ready for our aggressive defense. With our O showing big play ability I'm very interested in seeing this chess match

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I like our CBs. Our safeties still have a long way to go.

SOS loves fades and seam routes. The seam routes will kill our safeties if we aren't better.

Luckily their secondary is probably the worst in the SEC. Treon may really have a big game if we let him.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I think we struggle on both sides of the ball. Hopefully we can create a few turnovers...

ReelGatorDoc

Sep 9, 2014
I think the best chance for our D to play their best is to have the O move the chains and put some points on the board. Keep the D rested
by solid drives with points. Then the D will have the enerrgy to fly around and dominate, period.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Our secondary has benefited from the pass rush our front 4 has been able to generate. I think we really need that to continue this week, as our safeties aren't a team strength.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Might be a lot of points scored this weekend. We definitely need to pressure the sh*t out of Dylan Thompson, otherwise it's going to be about a 4 hour game.

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
My concern with the defense all year has been safety play. Hoping Neal is healthy for this one. Would almost like to see the young corners worked in at safety. We need some speed back there. They have trouble keeping pace with TEs. Watching some of the slow footed safety play continually gives me flashbacks to Run Lindsey Run. When Dylan misses, he tends to miss high. Some ball hawking safety play could generate some picks.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
As long as our safeties are not exposed we should be good defensively, but that's a big if being that Spurrier's offense loves the middle of the field and especially as Law also mentioned the seams. It is be nesscary for our defensive line to spend the night in their backfield.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I hope to see alot of man. We seem to get burnt alot when we play zone. I think our corners are playing good enough. Like everyone else I worry about our safetys. I think they're going to have to let treon throw more this game aswell.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
You know SOS will want to salvage a terrible season by beating us and the Taters. I fully expect Dunce to go full UGA mode again, pound the ball with success and hopefully chew up clock in the process and keep the Cock offense off the field.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'd like to see a poll with this thread. Maybe an O/U on passing yards yielded or rushing yards.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I think we'll start Leon Orr and he will shut down their running game...allowing our secondary to have a big day!!

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n101482 said:
I like our CBs. Our safeties still have a long way to go.

SOS loves fades and seam routes. The seam routes will kill our safeties if we aren't better.

Luckily their secondary is probably the worst in the SEC. Treon may really have a big game if we let him.

Their TE Rory Anderson is very athletic and is a matchup problem for us. Steve likes the seam route with him matched up
on a backer. When they get around the 25 he usually dials that up . Many times resulting in a score. Roland and Cooper are
good, but Anderson is the guy that concerns me here. They're going to hit some plays in the passing game and score some. They're going to
move it on us, but if we play well in the redzone we'll win.

KCgator

Superhero
Sep 7, 2014
SC is simply putrid this year. Not worried at all. The Wizard will pull try to expose our safeties but it won't be enough. Treon passes for 300 plus and we get 200 on the ground. Good Guys 35 - Wizards 17

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
KCgator;n101757 said:
SC is simply putrid this year. Not worried at all. The Wizard will pull try to expose our safeties but it won't be enough. Treon passes for 300 plus and we get 200 on the ground. Good Guys 35 - Wizards 17

Wake up! Come on wake up! Sorry...you were dreaming....

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator