Little Bits & Small Pieces: Florida vs Charlotte

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Appreciate the explanation. Having dealt with cancer for several years now I am always curious.
I hope yours is in a good place. I’ve joked that it made me accept, begrudgingly, that I am mortal after all. But I also learned to live life a day at a time. I can take time to appreciate a lot of the nuances that I rarely noticed before. That’s been one positive.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Get well C2. That is all the matters. As for the team I do not think that the O-Line is any good at all regardless of who plays. Amazing how the run game is marginal against D-3 undersized teams at times. Why? Is it b/c the run game scheme is more horizontal than power, requiring your O-Linemen to be athletic and agile and our O-Linemen are very slow and very unathletic? And those undersized defenses do not take on blocks but find gaps and take chances with their quickness? Against lesser opponents why would you not run more downhill, hat on hat blocking? Is the lack of success in the red zone on offense have anything to do with play sequencing? I think it does. Interesting they use the misdirection TE play on the goal line against the D7 teams and not against a more capable opponent. That is Cousin Eddie-esque. . On defense I understand a lot of the positive vibes but I still see too many guys out of position and a lot of unsure assignment looks. The FG kicker being 5 for 5 is great but there has to be a reason you kick 5 FG's and not all of that is in a game plan. Great that special teams looked better but again a D5 opponent. Any reason why they do not look like that against real opponents? Punting is punting, punt receiving is punt receiving and smart decisions are smart decisions, opponent irrelevant.

Wishing you great health and a full recovery.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
ONE WEEK after the OL pushed Tennessee all over the effing field, suddenly they are being called an awful unit. I really don't get it.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I hope yours is in a good place. I’ve joked that it made me accept, begrudgingly, that I am mortal after all. But I also learned to live life a day at a time. I can take time to appreciate a lot of the nuances that I rarely noticed before. That’s been one positive.
Mine is stage 4 prostate cancer that has spread into my tailbone. I have done many radiation treatments (48 I believe) and am now on hormone therapy to slow down any more growth. Its no fun on top of my failed back surgery that also causes chronic pain 24/7. I am on fentanyl pain patches that help some. I also only have 1/3rd of one kidney that functions. The other is useless. Other than that I am ok.

Last edited:

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
I think our young D had some transition difficulties dealing effectively with a pro style QB at first, then facing an athletic Jalon Jones running options.
**Mistakes handled properly are what we call Experience**
This bunch will be better for it.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
Cover this place ain’t the same with out you, get well and great to see you back.
Go Gators beat them damn cats.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Get well C2. That is all the matters. As for the team I do not think that the O-Line is any good at all regardless of who plays. Amazing how the run game is marginal against D-3 undersized teams at times. Why? Is it b/c the run game scheme is more horizontal than power, requiring your O-Linemen to be athletic and agile and our O-Linemen are very slow and very unathletic? And those undersized defenses do not take on blocks but find gaps and take chances with their quickness? Against lesser opponents why would you not run more downhill, hat on hat blocking? Is the lack of success in the red zone on offense have anything to do with play sequencing? I think it does. Interesting they use the misdirection TE play on the goal line against the D7 teams and not against a more capable opponent. That is Cousin Eddie-esque. . On defense I understand a lot of the positive vibes but I still see too many guys out of position and a lot of unsure assignment looks. The FG kicker being 5 for 5 is great but there has to be a reason you kick 5 FG's and not all of that is in a game plan. Great that special teams looked better but again a D5 opponent. Any reason why they do not look like that against real opponents? Punting is punting, punt receiving is punt receiving and smart decisions are smart decisions, opponent irrelevant.

Wishing you great health and a full recovery.
Thanks for the well wishes. Don’t read too much into what I write about Billy and our Gators. They aren’t world beaters by any means, especially after pretty much a dud of an offensive game against a meh team. And you’re certainly correct that we still have some obvious missed assignments on defense e.g. coverage against UT had several instances of being too slow flipping the hips and running with the receiver and instead chasing. Coaching has and will continue to change this for the better, but you cannot discount the youth that is being called upon. It makes it a process more than we’d like it to be. It’s not there, but it’s coming.

Regarding the running game, it relies as much or more on properly carrying out assignments and being able to manipulate and recognize the defense’s alignments and techniques to our formations, shifts, motions, etc. This worked pretty good against UT and if interested there’s a piece on SEC Network called “Read and React” that breaks down a few of these run staples and explains the nuances. Good football stuff but you’re correct that we seem to struggle in short ydge power run situations. There’s need for attention there obviously.

My biggest hope is that eventually, sooner than later, Billy will decide to get an OC or at least a passing game coordinator. This alone would have to help with clock and game management situations.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Mine is stage 4 prostate cancer that has spread into my tailbone. I have done many radiation treatments (45 I believe) and am now on hormone therapy to slow down any more growth. Its no fun on top of my failed back surgery that also causes chronic pain 24/7. I am on fentanyl pain patches that help some. I also only have 1/3rd of one kidney that functions. The other is useless. Other than that I am ok.
Praying for you brother

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Great write up as always. God's speed to you cover and praying for your continued resilience in you battle.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
ONE WEEK after the OL pushed Tennessee all over the effing field, suddenly they are being called an awful unit. I really don't get it.
The back up OL was putrid (missing 4 starters including TE ) against Charlotte after our second drive. Some of the worse pass pro I've seen in recent years.

We had our starting center back for the UT game but he was held out in this game. He's the OL "QB".

We actually didn't play that bad on offense considering the big uglies didn't eat thier Wheaties.

Kudos to Charlotte's DL.

Defense didn't make good adjustments when thier QB ran the option. First not setting the edge, then not prepared for the cutback. That was play calling. Surprised by that.

On a positive note:

STs
* 5 FGs and an extra point with no misses
* A partially blocked punt
* A good return (negated by penlaty)

Offense
* 5 or 6 intermediate route completions (outs, crossing, slant) - the Jumpman!

Defense
* Less than 200 yards
* Take out the completions to the TE and its less than 100.

Still a young team being young.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Godspeed to your health, cover. Thanks for getting a writeup in. It may not have been pretty, but we were never in danger of losing. As long as we have Coach Hambone, I think our defense will give us a chance to win every game. All three phases of the game will find stuff on film to clean up, but overall it was the kind of game we've come to expect from Billy Ball. I liked what we did with the passing game in the 1st quarter and Mertz continues to impress. The punt return team showed some flashes as well. ETN continues to prove that he should be the #1 back, but I don't mind that Johnson took the bulk of the carries last night. No sense in getting ETN banged up in a cupcake game.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Just so frustrating to move the ball fairly easily, but then as soon as an important down comes along such as 3rd down or a redzone play, everything goes to hell in a handbasket. One touchdown against these chumps after stalling out 5 times in or near the red zone. 1 for 9 on 3rd downs. I love my Gators but that's a problem.

HumbleGator

Nov 4, 2017
Sending prayers your way C2, so glad to have you back!

As much as I appreciate what Montrell Johnson brings, I'm baffled as heck why he received twice as many, carries yesterday as Trevor Entienne; it's very concerning. I could care less about who starts, but in my opinion, Trevor is our most explosive back avg 7 ypc, and Montrell should be the change of pace complimentary back.

I genuinely believe in Billy being the right guy long-term; however, I hope he doesn't continue to stick to his current offensive approach and management.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Good to have you back Cover!
Nice write up, although I'm a bit more pessimistic after last night.

I just can't trust Napier right now. We had a solid gameplan, which was well executed on both sides of the ball for the first half of the Tennessee game.
Then, What?
Was the huge Tennessee win, last years Utah win?

I guess, it will all unfold next week at Kentucky.
Which is sad actually, we are now gauging how good our team is, or can be, with a game in Lexington?????

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Good to have you back Cover!
Nice write up, although I'm a bit more pessimistic after last night.

I just can't trust Napier right now. We had a solid gameplan, which was well executed on both sides of the ball for the first half of the Tennessee game.
Then, What?
Was the huge Tennessee win, last years Utah win?

I guess, it will all unfold next week at Kentucky.
Which is sad actually, we are now gauging how good our team is, or can be, with a game in Lexington?????
It really is sad because Ky used to be a given. Now they expect to beat us even in our own house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator