Looking back on the SECOND HALF of the 2010s of Gator Football

QueenCityGator

University of Florida Alumnus
Aug 12, 2014
Usually I don’t post at work, but I have nothing else to do better today.

What are your memories (good/bad) from the second half of the decade?

My general thoughts:
- McElwain hired. “Up and coming” coach who supposedly had an offensive pedigree. At the time I thought it wasn’t the worst or best hire. Wow, what a disaster!
- Offensive doldrums still around. Many of our games still not fun to watch. I guess it wasn’t just Muschamp’s fault.
- It’s weird to consider two seasons “disasters” when you win the SEC East division. Some consider this NOT an accomplishment, I disagree (not defending Mac overall, just saying this was one of his few positives).
- Uncompetitive and overmatched against ranked teams. When you go into a game against a highly ranked team and expect to lose, that’s a problem.
- Talent gap begins to widen with Bama, OSU, etc. Recruiting has a few hits but many misses.
- The Will Grier era. What a crazy few weeks. He wasn’t lighting the world on fire with his offense, but he definitely had the ability to make our offense much better. Then came the drug test . . .Then came the QB controversy which led to Grier’s departure.
- Credit card scam. Bunch of players suspended. Mac has no control of the team.
- Bye bye McElwain. Crazy situation with the “death threats”. Smart thing to terminate him after the UGA game (will never forget that postgame smile)
- Hello Mullen. A lukewarm welcome by many on this board, which was understandable. But at least he had history being with the Gators during our glory years, which is a positive.
- Franks is Driskel 2.0. Treon, Del Rio, Appleby, and Zaire all suck. Trask is a hidden gem.
- We become “DBU” at some point, not exactly when. We have great talent, but it seems to falter at key moments.
- Still a few struggles on offense and defense, but now we actually look competitive against good teams (and dominate bad teams). 10 wins and a good bowl game becomes the standard. Starting after year 3, SEC championship should be the standard. We should be in the college playoffs a few times in the 2020s, hopefully winning a championship game or two.

Top victories:
2015 vs #3 Ole Miss (Grier’s one big game)
2016 vs #16 LSU
2016 Outback Bowl vs Iowa
2017 vs #23 Tennessee – Heave to Cleve
2018 vs #23 MSU
2018 vs #5 LSU - Couldn't watch b/c I had something more important to do (get married!). I know it was crazy decision, but gotta please the love of my life :)
2018 vs Michigan in Peach Bowl
2019 vs #7 Auburn

Noteworthy games:
2015 vs NMSU. Mac’s first game. We score 61. Maybe we’ll become offensively competent (no!)?
2015 vs Vanderbilt. Took a miracle FG by a crappy kicker to beat them
2015 vs FAU. Struggled vs a crappy team.
2015 vs FSU. 27-2 loss. Scoring streak still lives!
2015 vs Michigan in Citrus Bowl. Totally overmatched.
2016 vs Bama in SEC Championship. Totally overmatched.
2017 vs Michigan. Opening game. We look incompetent. What a shock!
2018 vs UGA and MIzz. back to back blowouts. Everyone asking if Mullen is the right coach.
2018 vs FSU. Finally we dominate them for the first time in a long time.
Leaving out 2019 because it’s so recent.

Any other thoughts?

Name and town if you wish to opine.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
4257b8948fb1d15125402812e0ecb8f1.jpg

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Sit back, close your eyes, clear the cache on anything you’ve learned over the past 60 months.

Now try and imagine you’re Jeremy Foley and your job is, using the enormous amount of funds and cachet available, to bring in a top-flight replacement for Will Muschamp.

Your answer? A guy with a silly toothy grin and a 22-16 career record in the Mountain West, who rides sharks naked and throws around corny expressions like “pretty cool,” and who sounds like he’s much better suited to pump insurance from B-rated companies than decide what to do on third-and 7.

Welcome to Gainesville, Butters.

H20Gator

Sep 27, 2015
- We become “DBU” at some point, not exactly when.
- 10 wins and a good bowl game becomes the standard.
I like these recap threads—a pretty good summary of the significant events, I think. I want to say DBU started during Meyer—definitely in use for Chump. And I would phrase it, "finally back to a standard expectation of 10 wins and a good bowl game."

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
- Offensive doldrums still around. Many of our games still not fun to watch. I guess it wasn’t just Muschamp’s fault.
Amazingly poor take. Astonishing really give the benefit of hindsight. I guess I could forgive you wanting to be a pumper at the time. Perhaps you are heavily invested in Avatard's marjuana business and stay stoned.

The offense continued to suck bc dumbazz Fooley went out and hired two guys that Chimp would have loved to have as OCs. Why would the offense change?
- It’s weird to consider two seasons “disasters” when you win the SEC East division. Some consider this NOT an accomplishment, I disagree (not defending Mac overall, just saying this was one of his few positives).
Yes you are still defending Butterteeth and no, being slightly better than Mizzu and knocking them off their reign isn't an accomplishment.
- Franks is Driskel 2.0.
Go check the stats and get back with me. The sad truth is Treon produced more than Disktard. Franks produced like 2.5 times the offense as Dipshyt.
We become “DBU” at some point, not exactly when..
Muskrat. We had better DB talent before but we also had LB and DL talent then too. Only this moron thinks that DBs are all that matters.

DBU = losing.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Photoshopped people in the stands.

Also, I walked past baseball every single day I was in Hoggetowne and I never once saw someone tailgating. Who are these clowns kidding?

Last edited:

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Somehow you forgot the 2015 Tennessee game.
What a rollercoaster of emotions that game was.

Good friend of mine is a Vol, he’s a good guy and not a braggart or annoying fan at all. I had texted him to congratulate them on breaking the streak right before the drive to take the lead.

The rest is history.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Amazingly poor take. Astonishing really give the benefit of hindsight. I guess I could forgive you wanting to be a pumper at the time. Perhaps you are heavily invested in Avatard's marjuana business and stay stoned.

The offense continued to suck bc dumbazz Fooley went out and hired two guys that Chimp would have loved to have as OCs. Why would the offense change?
Yes you are still defending Butterteeth and no, being slightly better than Mizzu and knocking them off their reign isn't an accomplishment.
Go check the stats and get back with me. The sad truth is Treon produced more than Disktard. Franks produced like 2.5 times the offense as Dipshyt.
Muskrat. We had better DB talent before but we also had LB and DL talent then too. Only this moron thinks that DBs are all that matters.

DBU = losing.

DBU is a stupid fcvking moniker and one we rarely live up to when it really counts. If I had a nickel for every time one of our loud mouth DBs spouted off before a big game only to get torched, I’d be a rich man (that fcvtard before the Tennessee game a few years ago talking about can a duck pull a truck?).

I wish the coaches would shut that DBU trash talk down once & for all.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
DBU is a stupid fcvking moniker and one we rarely live up to when it really counts. If I had a nickel for every time one of our loud mouth DBs spouted off before a big game only to get torched, I’d be a rich man (that fcvtard before the Tennessee game a few years ago talking about can a duck pull a truck?).

I wish the coaches would shut that DBU trash talk down once & for all.
Besides, Id much rather be DTU, DLU, LBU, or just Championship U.

DBU sounds like a loser azz dwag.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Photoshopped people in the stands.

Also, I walked past baseball every single day I was in Hoggetowne and I never once saw someone tailgating. Who are these clowns kidding?

Not a chance. It’s all real down to the Canadian landscape in the background.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator