LSU sues Chavis for "Loss of Recruits"

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
biggator6;n185668 said:
We FIRED him.. non-compete is null and void if we fire someone..
You can repeat it all you want but you ARE WRONG. Repeat it again. It doesnt change anything.

Firing someone is just another contingency in the contract, which includes payments of certain additional money over a certain time and certain contract terms to be completed. Aparently Fooley negotiated duties that we owed (paying 6 more million over two years) while he didnt include any obligations for his dawgboy lover such as not competing in certain ways. Look there are some restrictions that would be considered unreasonable restraints and voided by law, however limiting certain activities with respect to a conference opponent would certainly be upheld.

Just another reason Fooley is the worlds best AD.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n185727 said:
Just another reason Fooley is the worlds best AD.

didn't you just see what the track team accomplished?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yes, Fooley would make an excellent Assistant AD of Sports That Don't Matter.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Just stow the judgement on Foley for a few years. His place in Gator history rides squarely on the performance of the new guy. If Mac succeeds, Foley will retire a hero. If Mac fails, the ghosts of Zook, Mush, and Mac will haunt him.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
biggator6;185668 said:
We FIRED him.. non-compete is null and void if we fire someone. It's in place so they can't leave of their own free will and compete against us.

Yeah. That's not true. I take it that you've never signed a non-compete.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n185548 said:
You absoluely can put no compete clause in a coaches contract and enfoce them for the length of the contract.

We either chose not to add one or chose not to enforce it if we did.

That's as far as I will go. I know that I Love Will trampstamp is embarrassing enough for you.

I could swear that contract was posted here one time and said he couldn't recruit against us for 1 year if he took an SEC position. Maybe Foley didn't get the language to include if he was fired and it only applied if he left on his own or maybe Foley just decided to ignore it. Another possibility is maybe the language said if he took another head coaching position in the SEC.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n185835 said:
I could swear that contract was posted here one time and said he couldn't recruit against us for 1 year if he took an SEC position. Maybe Foley didn't get the language to include if he was fired and it only applied if he left on his own or maybe Foley just decided to ignore it. Another possibility is maybe the language said if he took another head coaching position in the SEC.

I would bet that it was if it was a lateral move. Either way, it's over and it would be tough to prove if Auburn already had them on their radar or not. Also what if the kids decided to contact Auburn upon him going there? That could also always an excuse as well.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
TheDouglas78;n185848 said:
Also what if the kids decided to contact Auburn upon him going there? That could also always an excuse as well.

Good point, and equally unproveable. (is that a word?)

biggator6

Oct 2, 2014
GatorJ;n185778 said:
Yeah. That's not true. I take it that you've never signed a non-compete.

I have.. and EVERY one I've ever had to sign was null if I was let go. Otherwise, companies could lay off employees and still limit where they could go (hint: that doesn't fly).

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
biggator6;n185957 said:
I have.. and EVERY one I've ever had to sign was null if I was let go. Otherwise, companies could lay off employees and still limit where they could go (hint: that doesn't fly).
It's different in the fast food industry, I guess.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
biggator6;n185957 said:

It actually does in many industries.... the higher the paygrade the more restrictive the non-compete usually is.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
biggator6;n185957 said:

Especially in the state of Florida.....I've signed many and none of them held any water.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
biggator6;n185957 said:

Hint: don't quit your day job because your law career isnt promising.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n186017 said:
Especially in the state of Florida.....I've signed many and none of them held any water.

It probably depends on the court. Even when there is controlling case law courts love to say why a case is technically different and try to ignore the case law.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
biggator6;185957 said:

There's no way you've signed one. I've never signed or seen a non-compete that goes void if you're fired. Florida is a right to work state but non-competes are still held up. Judges usually allow them to be in force for the first year in Florida. The general rule in sales is to not call on your client base for the first year and companies won't pursue legal action.

When you get hired by another company in any high level sales one of the first questions is "can you show us your non-compete?"

biggator6

Oct 2, 2014
GatorJ;n186672 said:
There's no way you've signed one. I've never signed or seen a non-compete that goes void if you're fired. Florida is a right to work state but non-competes are still held up. Judges usually allow them to be in force for the first year in Florida. The general rule in sales is to not call on your client base for the first year and companies won't pursue legal action.

When you get hired by another company in any high level sales one of the first questions is "can you show us your non-compete?"

I work in the tech business.. a vague non-compete would essentially be 'you must leave this industry' because at some level you can claim almost everyone as a competitor. Florida (where I do not live anymore) has become more employer-friendly in this case. My friend got sued and lost because he went into a previous customer before that 'first year' you mentioned.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
My noncompete seriously mentions like 20 different companies.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I should sue Muschdawg for wasting 3 years of my life.... and for all the repairs to my walls

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The common sense (logic) for the non-compete is that an employee cannot use the #1 employment "contacts" he
made by virtue of being in the employment of company #1 and then take them away from the company. Sometimes
it's just a geographical area of customer base. Sometimes it's otherwise based …. like no SEC operating. I think
Foley goofed. Even if Auburn & UF had prior contact with a defensive recruit, Muschamp might not have any contact
with the kid,. Just his presence at Auburn could flip the kid. And Foley should have foreseen that UF would be very
"needy" after Messedchomps departure. Lawsuits do occur in this area.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
biggator6;n185957 said:

Nope, not true. There is case law to prove it. We've had this discussion already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator