LSU - Tom Petty Hype Video

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
The song slows down too much at the end....kind of drags along. The, "heeeeeeey, babay" sounds impressive, but then quiets down to the "won't back down" part that drops in tone, tempo and volume. It just doesn't work.

Not to mention, once again, that its a song underdogs hoping to win would sing. It should be Auburns fight song when they play Alabama. That would be fitting. Our singing it? It doesn't fit for me. And trust me, it doesn't resonate with recruits.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
What I really want to know is if any of the petty Petty detractors have been in the stands when we sang it. If not give it a shot.
I have. It sounds worse in the stands then it does on TV.

On TV you hear the whole, collective crowd singing together, which doesn't sound too bad. But in the stands, you don't really hear the crowd singing as one. What you hear are the individual voices of the people right around you who are singing. Badly, for the most part.

Not to mention, once again, that its a song underdogs hoping to win would sing. It should be Auburns fight song when they play Alabama. That would be fitting. Our singing it? It doesn't fit for me. And trust me, it doesn't resonate with recruits.

Excellent point. We are so beaten down from years of mediocrity that a song about "standing our ground," and, "not backing down," makes sense to us. We expect that IF we have a lead in a game, it's probably a tentative lead that we're struggling to hold onto. This is not a song sung by a team that is accustomed to DOMINATING.

I'm not opposed to it when it came about initially. It was a cool tribute to the man.
But it's run it's course and it's too damn slow.

Yep. Do it once more for the USCe game and then that's it. No one will complain if they quietly drop this "tradition" after this season.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Don’t y’all listen to Petty to get hyped? I know when I’m at the gym it’s all I listen to and I’m assuming that’s what the players do too

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
Petty's family goes along with "Tom Petty Day" at UF, and the song being played and all that, because they get money out of it. Tom Petty himself probably would not have embraced it too enthusiastically, if he even allowed it at all.

As you probably know, Petty's attitude growing up in Gainesville was more resentful than respectful of the university and the "elite" college students who made fun of hippy pothead musicians like him.

Now he is having the last laugh, every time those snobby Gators sing his song and then end up losing the game. Which has happened too many times at this point. Often because we did the opposite of what the song said, and "backed down" when we needed to make a play.

Hopefully this new "tradition," and the era of losing that it has become associated with, will end after this year.
Maybe they'll replace it with "Bad" by Michael Jackson.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Because they’ve lost their edge. Nothing like playing won’t back down, when you’re trailing by 21 and haven’t forced a punt all game. So cool.

If there was one positive I saw last night it was the mass exodus before that nonsense. People are getting bored with it. Play quality football. That’s what people love. Anyone who goes for a rock show while being mocked by everyone else in cfb should stay home.
Even if we were playing well it would still suck. It's too freakin' slow for a hype song.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I thought the Petty thing was only going to be for one season following his death. I was stunned it was made a permanent thing. I think it should be axed, and I love Petty.

So should the two-bits thing, but people are a lot more emotional about that one.

:runs and hides and waits for the explosion of heads:

:run:

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
I thought the Petty thing was only going to be for one season following his death. I was stunned it was made a permanent thing. I think it should be axed, and I love Petty.

So should the two-bits thing, but people are a lot more emotional about that one.

:runs and hides and waits for the explosion of heads:

:run:
re: Mr. Two Bits, I'd like to see them drop the "Honorary Mr. Two Bits of the Week" deal and appoint a permanent Mr. Two Bits. Not anybody well-known, just a regular fan who wants to take over the old tradition. Maybe the original guy, George Edmondson, has a grandson or something like that who'd be willing to do it.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
re: Mr. Two Bits, I'd like to see them drop the "Honorary Mr. Two Bits of the Week" deal and appoint a permanent Mr. Two Bits. Not anybody well-known, just a regular fan who wants to take over the old tradition. Maybe the original guy, George Edmondson, has a grandson or something like that who'd be willing to do it.

A younger kid tried that in like 2012-14 range. It didn’t go over well and he was mercilessly booed. Probably didn’t help that we were playing bad at the time. Not sure what became of him, but he seemed to take the booing pretty hard, so something like ISIS wouldn’t shock me.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
A younger kid tried that in like 2012-14 range. It didn’t go over well and he was mercilessly booed. Probably didn’t help that we were playing bad at the time. Not sure what became of him, but he seemed to take the booing pretty hard, so something like ISIS wouldn’t shock me.
:lol2: At the very least he's probably a Nole fan now

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
I think it's being used as a sneaky ploy to crowd out "We Are the Boys," otherwise they'd have put the Petty song somewhere else during the game, like after the first quarter. All they have to do now is "accidentally" play the Petty song first and everyone under 40 years old will just start singing it and forget about "We Are the Boys." Then they'll claim it's better and "We Are the Boys" is sexist and needs to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator