Mac ain't it...

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
If McElwain does what you suggest, "drain the swamp" (an expression touted by another fool), what will that accomplish?
First, the mediocre recruiting, that everyone is complaining about, will get worse sine recruiting is about relationships.
Second, it will reinforce the idea that McElwain doesn't know what he's doing since he's the person who chose the staff in the first place. We had a hint that this was the case when he had to fire the secondary coach after only one year because he was incompetent.
Third, just who is going to want to come to UF to serve under a guy that is on the hot seat? UF will have to pay a lot, and guarantee multi-year contracts. Roper got paid by UF for doing nothing. Muschamp is STILL being paid by UF.
If UF loses to S.C., isn't it inevitable that McElwain will be fired? The only question will be: When? The total, and utter, embarrassment that UF's fans will have to endure after losing to the guy they blame for EVERYTHING wrong with UF's football program will be catastrophic. How can a UF fan even show their face if UF loses to Muschamp? At home, no less!
This week is the "rubicon" for UF's football program. Losing to Muschamp will be worse, much worse, than losing to Georgia Southern. At least fans could console themselves with Skyler Mornhinweg, injuries, "midline", etc. after losing to Georgia Southern. But, after over two years of demonizing Muschamp, to lose to him is unthinkable. Yet, here we are facing, as Hirohito said, "the unendurable."
It's similar to the feeling that, I suspect, that the folks that have spent decades hating the Clintons will have after Hilary whips their ass.
No, my friend, it's not a solution to rearrange the chairs on the Titanic, which is what staff changes entail. It's time to fire the Captain of the ship if S. C. walks out of the Swamp a winner.
Agreed. If we lose this game, no jobs are safe. Period. No excuses, no "we have injuries", no "we'll work on it." Nothing is acceptable if we are to lose.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If McElwain does what you suggest,
You smell like cotton candy and crablegs, and you obviously aren't particularly sober. Not sure why I didn't notice you earlier. Perhaps because you were more of a fly on our azz kinda gNoll Troll.

So, soberjohn, you ready to admit you are a Criminole? I must admit, just the alcoholism should have been a sign earlier.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Sorry, but I'm done thinking Mac can turn the ship around. This guy can't prepare, can't adjust, and can't recruit.
I hate to lose. But I don't mind losing to a better team, if we play our best. What I hate to see is a Gator team that isn't even competitive
I'm sure he is good at something, but I'm at a loss for what it might be.

Some claim he is a quarterback whisperer and the pride of the also rans in the Mountain West.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
And if it was only this game. But it's been every game against every ranked team in two years. And now against one of the worst defenses in the SEC.

Amen GatorJ . Using our sequential memories doesn't it seem like this is the performance that
Mac-n-crew have been grooming us for. This Gator team has been stuck in a ditch and Mac set
our wheels straight ahead right down the ditch-lane ?? Those poor Gator players who put their
trust in Mac or in what UF football should offer. As bad as QB #1 has performed, any real coach
would have other QBs percolating to go in. Our 2nd choice QB-teakettle should have been whistling
loudly several games ago. Mac better start drinking those PED shakes he confiscated from Grier.

SoberJohn

BANNED
Jul 3, 2015
You smell like cotton candy and crablegs, and you obviously aren't particularly sober. Not sure why I didn't notice you earlier. Perhaps because you were more of a fly on our azz kinda gNoll Troll.

So, soberjohn, you ready to admit you are a Criminole? I must admit, just the alcoholism should have been a sign earlier.
Being coherent is not one of your strong points, is it? I suspect you want to "Make America Great Again."

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

You're usually pretty in tune with these things. You're slipping, Law.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Mac ain't it!

Well said.

:shocked:

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
If McElwain does what you suggest, "drain the swamp" (an expression touted by another fool), what will that accomplish?
First, the mediocre recruiting, that everyone is complaining about, will get worse sine recruiting is about relationships.
Second, it will reinforce the idea that McElwain doesn't know what he's doing since he's the person who chose the staff in the first place. We had a hint that this was the case when he had to fire the secondary coach after only one year because he was incompetent.
Third, just who is going to want to come to UF to serve under a guy that is on the hot seat? UF will have to pay a lot, and guarantee multi-year contracts. Roper got paid by UF for doing nothing. Muschamp is STILL being paid by UF.
If UF loses to S.C., isn't it inevitable that McElwain will be fired? The only question will be: When? The total, and utter, embarrassment that UF's fans will have to endure after losing to the guy they blame for EVERYTHING wrong with UF's football program will be catastrophic. How can a UF fan even show their face if UF loses to Muschamp? At home, no less!
This week is the "rubicon" for UF's football program. Losing to Muschamp will be worse, much worse, than losing to Georgia Southern. At least fans could console themselves with Skyler Mornhinweg, injuries, "midline", etc. after losing to Georgia Southern. But, after over two years of demonizing Muschamp, to lose to him is unthinkable. Yet, here we are facing, as Hirohito said, "the unendurable."
It's similar to the feeling that, I suspect, that the folks that have spent decades hating the Clintons will have after Hilary whips their ass.
No, my friend, it's not a solution to rearrange the chairs on the Titanic, which is what staff changes entail. It's time to fire the Captain of the ship if S. C. walks out of the Swamp a winner.

No one worth a damn is going to come work for a guy who is on the hot seat. It's a one year gig.

Bama&GatorFan

Friends in high places
Dec 5, 2015
I hate making coaching changes, but Mac's recruiting is just going to get worse, making it harder to recover. All the players have to know that his days are numbered. Might as well go ahead and do it.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Being coherent is not one of your strong points, is it? I suspect you want to "Make America Great Again."

I think that nothing would be more appropriate in America today than having a felon as president. This alone defines the nation we have become.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'm sure Strickland is ready. i imagine hes still upset he never got a chance to fire mullen.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Thread title keeps ringing in my head.

I struggle wondering how deep into the coaching he gets vs staying a step away and letting his coordinators and position coaches be the main voice in the players' collective ear. I just don't know how much he controls. As HBC, he is accountable for all levels and aspects of coaching, but I don't know how much he actually does.

As a leader, we've seen enough "aw shucks" and lack of fire to know that's his message to the program, "Just happy to be here, aren't you?". As a manager over the functional areas, is he just waiting for recruiters to tell him who they think they can get, or is he giving assignments saying a recruiter has to meet a need or get a certain kid? Is he working with the offense and QBs, or a step away having Nuss own those? Whatever it is, it ain't working.

Ultimately, Mac has to own it all. Heading into his third year, with a staff that's essentially intact from the beginning, he has to get improvement from his staff both on and off the field. I haven't seen that yet. Alternatively, it becomes time to replace and upgrade staff. I don't know how much 'loyalty' will play into his decision making on staff, but as we've seen from his player selection (sticking with LDR, if that's him rather than Nuss) - we don't have promising experience with his decision making thus far.

I refuse to use the word 'hope' anymore. I no longer 'hope' he makes the right staffing changes. He either does, or he doesn't - it's on him, and we're stuck riding that decision. I don't hope we win the next game, or at least show improvement - the improvement hasn't shown up yet, and it is on him and the staff to make it happen or not.

I've lost hope. I haven't lost expectations, and those expectations mirror that of the Gator nation - win, or be replaced.

bayou gator

Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Thread title keeps ringing in my head.

I struggle wondering how deep into the coaching he gets vs staying a step away and letting his coordinators and position coaches be the main voice in the players' collective ear. I just don't know how much he controls. As HBC, he is accountable for all levels and aspects of coaching, but I don't know how much he actually does.

As a leader, we've seen enough "aw shucks" and lack of fire to know that's his message to the program, "Just happy to be here, aren't you?". As a manager over the functional areas, is he just waiting for recruiters to tell him who they think they can get, or is he giving assignments saying a recruiter has to meet a need or get a certain kid? Is he working with the offense and QBs, or a step away having Nuss own those? Whatever it is, it ain't working.

Ultimately, Mac has to own it all. Heading into his third year, with a staff that's essentially intact from the beginning, he has to get improvement from his staff both on and off the field. I haven't seen that yet. Alternatively, it becomes time to replace and upgrade staff. I don't know how much 'loyalty' will play into his decision making on staff, but as we've seen from his player selection (sticking with LDR, if that's him rather than Nuss) - we don't have promising experience with his decision making thus far.

I refuse to use the word 'hope' anymore. I no longer 'hope' he makes the right staffing changes. He either does, or he doesn't - it's on him, and we're stuck riding that decision. I don't hope we win the next game, or at least show improvement - the improvement hasn't shown up yet, and it is on him and the staff to make it happen or not.

I've lost hope. I haven't lost expectations, and those expectations mirror that of the Gator nation - win, or be replaced.

Damn good post. I think you did a good job of synthesizing the frustrated thoughts of the Gator Nation. We're all kinda dumbfounded and bewildered over trying to figure out just wtf is going on, and we've grown numb to the losses. I think a lot of us at this point are expecting to lose against any decent team we play, and are just hoping we don't continue getting embarrassed on a national stage. I'm dying to at least see SOME KIND OF PRODUCTIVE CHANGE!! It feels like we've done nothing but regress for 7 damn years, and I'm beyond frustrated. The fact that we're paying the equivalent of Ft Knox in the salaries of what I believe are the 2 worst, high profile coaches in all of college football, just blows my f'ing mind!

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
Sorry, but I'm done thinking Mac can turn the ship around. This guy can't prepare, can't adjust, and can't recruit.
I hate to lose. But I don't mind losing to a better team, if we play our best. What I hate to see is a Gator team that isn't even competitive. Today was a disgrace. There's no excuse for watching us play like a botched abortion on national television. I don't know where we go from here, but it ain't gonna be pretty.
In all weather...

Go Gators! Spurrier Bless
He doesn't communicate with his staff or correct them. Any good coach would've ripped Nuss for his play calling long ago or never hired him and benched LDR. He did neither even with LDR "hurt". He's a complete hands off coach who is too arrogant to see that having a laissez faire attitude with a mediocre staff doesn't work. He never holds himself or the staff accountable. Players aren't benched regardless of how bad they play. It's either the players fault or golly that team was good.

His refusal to adapt the offense is atrocious and scary. He's stuck in 2009 like someone else said. Even Saban evolved quickly once he saw What works now. This team should be focused and ready to play but like Mac they're soft and just happy to be there. There's no winning mindset on this team. It's hope we get a lead and then play not to lose or at least we competed. Zero fire or killer instinct. That doesn't mean be all WM-Brian Kelly psycho either. That means when a player or coach screws up you correct them and you ALWAYS GO FOR THE THROAT when leading. In order for this team to win again, we're gonna need a meyer type coach that understands how to instill and build the mindset of a champion mentally before we see it on the field. IMO Mac's mindset is just as bad for recruiting as the play on the field.

His hires have been a disaster save for 3.

Nord
Summers
Collins
Callahan
Rumph
Williams
Shannon

All are meh coaches and recruiters and never are excited or angry. They just go through the motions. None of these guys should have been hired here.

bayou gator

Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
If we're playing a game of "gotcha" maybe Mac is it. ??
Unfortunately, Foley played that game with him and got him. Maybe Foley can just take Mac with him...? I don't think anyone around here wants him anymore.

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
It seems obvious to me that Foley sold us a bill of goods on McElwain. In fact, if you look at all three football hires, I think he took the easy way out on all three. When his "top" choices eliminated themselves, Foley just slinked away down the easiest path for himself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator