Mark Thompson is going to be special

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
The very first play he trucks the guy going into the endzone. Nothing in that video showed me that he avoids contact at all. Runs north and south with power and speed. Much of the main reason no one got close at times was his speed. This guy looks as if the up side is great.
Just rewatched the video. He put his head down looking to initiate contact 5 times. 3 of those were at the goal line. He hurdled 3 guys and he ran out of bounds 2 times not wanting to hit a DB. Don't get me wrong he is very shifty, has good feet and good vision. And I liked a lot of what he does. And I'm glad he's a Gator.

But there were a lot of plays where he looked to bounce it outside and dance in the hole (which he could at that level). He won't be able to do that in the SEC.

He's bigger than Fournette. Fournette hits so hard guys avoid tackling him by the end of the game. *Watch LSU Auburn. For a guy that is 230-240 pounds I was expecting to see he running over a lot of people at a community college. The last play in the video is what I saw a lot of. Thompson was playing against chumps.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
There are huge holes and slow defenders in this tape. It's hard to gauge how good he's going to do behind the UF line in the SEC. I think KT would of shredded even more than Thompson if he was in the same situation, probably Scarlett and Cronkite too. I think Taylor did a remarkable last year considering he faced a tackler before he got to the line on the majority of his carries. Most are assuming our line makes progress next year, but how much is anyone's guess. This will be biggest factor in how well the offense does next season, not the skill position players.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think he was about 220 @ CC. He's been adding weight, and I think it's all muscle

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
we may get to see more of the glimpse we saw in the first six games last year.
I honestly think we'll be a little better than in those games maybe minus the OM game. If we can lean on the running game a little our QB could have a field day throwing on all downs especially 2nd and 3rd and short yardage situations. We'll need a TE to step up and help the QB to keep drives going now and then but I'll bet our YPC go up with some play action due to having a running game that can punish the defense....

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I honestly think we'll be a little better than in those games maybe minus the OM game. If we can lean on the running game a little our QB could have a field day throwing on all downs especially 2nd and 3rd and short yardage situations. We'll need a TE to step up and help the QB to keep drives going now and then but I'll bet our YPC go up with some play action due to having a running game that can punish the defense....
Goolsby should fit the bill at TE for us.

GatorStompin'

Gator Grad '14
Nov 25, 2014
Yea, for some reason I thought people might read the article instead of just scrolling to the highlights. The kid is 239 BEFORE the spring. He's going to put on more muscle and lean out come fall ball. Kid is going to be a beast for us--I'm calling it.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
They'll probably lean him up and get him up to about 245-250.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
He looks like he's got potential. I'd like to know what weight he was playing in that video. He didnt exactly truck too many guys. Looked like he'd rather avoid contact and like NV said he'd rather jump over guys than run over them. We'll see.
You're going to get a helluva lot more yards going around guys while still moving North South than trying to run over people. If I had to say who his running style looks like it would be LeVeon Bell or LaDainian Tomlinson.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Henry was fortunate to have his line. He was up to speed prior to first contact many times. He was also tall and a long strider so he had good top end speed. I think he'll be way over drafted.

I don't think Thompson will be that kind of runner. I also think he'll be the type of runner that uses his size to shed tackles rather than bull them over. He appears to have the speed to break some runs rather than 4yds and a cloud of dust

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
... wish we could at least produce a cloud of dust first.

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think he could be a 800 yard plus runner for us this year--and that's my low end prediction.

I've been hoping for a back with a 1200 yard low end prediction, unless we have 3 backs with 800 each. I want one of the 3 to be that go to guy that on 3 & 3 we know he's got it. Is that too much to wish for? I hope not.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
I've been hoping for a back with a 1200 yard low end prediction, unless we have 3 backs with 800 each. I want one of the 3 to be that go to guy that on 3 & 3 we know he's got it. Is that too much to wish for? I hope not.
Maybe smarter to wish for an O-line?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.