Mark Thompson is going to be special

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Everyone expects big improvement. Hope you are correct. Two starters who were not great were better than their replacements. Hope the replacements improve a lot.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
When was the last time we were truly confident about our O-line heading into the season... 2009?

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
When was the last time we were truly confident about our O-line heading into the season... 2009?
I'd say 2008

The 2009 offense had issues, especially on the line. Replacing senior stud tackles Watkins and Trautwein with Patchan and Gilbert was a disaster. People blamed Addazio, but we were getting beat on the edge all year with Tebow getting banged up in the pocket (@KY). Running game suffered too. I think we easily win another title with those two back.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I'd say 2008

The 2009 offense had issues, especially on the line. Replacing senior stud tackles Watkins and Trautwein with Patchan and Gilbert was a disaster. People blamed Addazio, but we were getting beat on the edge all year with Tebow getting banged up in the pocket (@KY). Running game suffered too. I think we easily win another title with those two back.

I still think if Meyer had pulled Tebow from the UK game with the score already out of hand we would have won the championship. Tebow never seemed the same after that concussion. I don't think he ever fully recovered until the bowl game against Cincy.

It always amazes me that coaches keep guys in for so long.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Not sure if the O line was one of the main problems in 09 or not but our SEC only offensive numbers went down a lot from 07 and 08. We pounded the patsies in 09 but didn't score that much in our SEC games.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I've been hoping for a back with a 1200 yard low end prediction, unless we have 3 backs with 800 each. I want one of the 3 to be that go to guy that on 3 & 3 we know he's got it. Is that too much to wish for? I hope not.
Will, you still posting here? Aren't you supposed to be getting the Ole Ball Coach's car washed and pick up his dry cleaning?

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gilbert was a starter in 2009. He knocked out Tebow in Lexington. By the end of the year, we starter a true freshman at LT.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Not sure if the O line was one of the main problems in 09 or not but our SEC only offensive numbers went down a lot from 07 and 08. We pounded the patsies in 09 but didn't score that much in our SEC games.
Creyer's system had been figured out by 2009. Even with all the talent that year we struggled against the better teams. Creyer figured this out too after watching average players try to run his system against equal or better competition in 2010.....Harbaugh is fixing to teach him the same lesson all over again.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Creyer's system had been figured out by 2009. Even with all the talent that year we struggled against the better teams. Creyer figured this out too after watching average players try to run his system against equal or better competition in 2010.....Harbaugh is fixing to teach him the same lesson all over again.
play calling was horrific in 2009. the average fan was calling plays before they were run, so you know the other teams knew what was going on. Also, we never had a decent RB replacement for Percy. Didn't have to be as good as Percy, but atleast not a smurf

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
play calling was horrific in 2009. the average fan was calling plays before they were run, so you know the other teams knew what was going on. Also, we never had a decent RB replacement for Percy. Didn't have to be as good as Percy, but atleast not a smurf
I agree with the RB situation...it was almost comical the way Daz ran up the gut time after time with all 180# of Demps. Don't get me wrong, Demps was one of my favorite Gators but there has to be a time and place for a guy of his build.

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
I still think if Meyer had pulled Tebow from the UK game with the score already out of hand we would have won the championship. Tebow never seemed the same after that concussion. I don't think he ever fully recovered until the bowl game against Cincy.

It always amazes me that coaches keep guys in for so long.
Tebow's injury occurred with about 5 minutes to play in the 3rd quarter of a 31-7 game. The game was not in doubt but that would typically be a bit early to pull the starting QB. Nonetheless I agree with your points about the lasting impact of that concussion.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
53487_1654248079889_7564761_o.jpg
150551_1697573162989_8266378_n.jpg

Two of my favorite memes of all time.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Looks like it will be the Scarlet and Thompson show. Cronk will probably be used as a receiver more out of the backfield. Similar to what Bama
did with Drake the last couple years. He seems to have good hands out of the backfield and has pretty good ball skills too. Hopefully these guys
can break some long runs. It seems like it's been awhile since we've had a back break off the 70 yard runs .

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
Looks like it will be the Scarlet and Thompson show. Cronk will probably be used as a receiver more out of the backfield. Similar to what Bama
did with Drake the last couple years. He seems to have good hands out of the backfield and has pretty good ball skills too. Hopefully these guys
can break some long runs. It seems like it's been awhile since we've had a back break off the 70 yard runs .
Not that I disagree but why do you feel this way. Cronk seemed to get more carries than scarlet last year

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Not that I disagree but why do you feel this way. Cronk seemed to get more carries than scarlet last year
I thought cronk was better at getting north and south than Scarlett aswell.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

As we got later in the season Scarlett seemed to get more involved than he was previously. Practice reports stated he had ball security issues.
Let's hope that situation has been rectified. I wouldn't sleep on Perine making an impact either, but he is probably a season away from significant carries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.