Recruiting McElwain's Recipe for Recruiting

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Basically just recruit bigger players on offense. Amazing that Muschamp never figured that out.

But on another note, I think McElwain just gave a hint as to who the new starting QB will be since Grier is taller than Treon.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
“You look at us getting off the bus now offensively, and it’s like the Land of Misfit Toys. They’re all different and recruited for different systems.”

:lmao:

This is such a dig at Muschump whether he intends it to be or not.

S

skyflake

Founding Member
Founding Member
What a bunch of nonsense! McElwain will recruit who he can get, and if they are the best player, he'll take them, regardless of their measurements. Martez Ivey doesn't weigh 300 pounds, so I guess McElwain didn't get the right ingredient for his "recipe" when he took him. Of course you want the biggest players you can get, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are the best. Every coach in America would take the taller, heavier player if he's as good as a smaller player. If you can get a big receiver like Calvin Johnson, great, but everyone wants those players, not just McElwain. The "recipe" is the same at every school in America, everyone wants bigger, faster, stronger, etc. But that doesn't mean you turn down smaller players like Ivey, who are better players than some yokel who weighs 330. Only one offensive lineman from last years class, Sandifer, was north of 300 lbs. If you don't think McElwain would trade Isaiah Johnson, who's a 6'3" receiver commit, for 5'8" Sam Bruce in a heartbeat, you are not paying attention. Everyone wants the same players, the problem right now is that McElwain is getting his butt kicked in recruiting right now, just compare the competition.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Heartwarming article. An occasional smurf is fine but we can't be 30-50 lbs undersized at most or every position like we were in years gone by.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The proof is in the pudding, yakkity yak, and as the quote goes, 'just win baby' . Big isn't always better.. Percy wasn't exactly hulk. Now we do need big uglies.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
In just glad we have someone that has a vision for what they want their offense to look like. I just hope he doesn't neglect the defensive side of the ball.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's nice to have an offensive vision again, even if I suspect it may be a lil more ground and pound than I'd prefer. I really think we will get a lil more John L Smith and that isn't the worst thing. He was pretty good back in the day. People forget that Mac spent like 20 years under him.

I'm not sold on the DC, but I do think we have sufficient talent (not deep at some positions) and sufficient experienced coaches behind the DC (Shannon and Rumph) that could step in at DC if the coordinator flops. I also think they are experienced enough that they won't be afraid to chime in if they see things that need to be corrected.

Part of me suspects that Mac isn't as happy go lucky "aw shucks" as he seems in interviews. I hope he has that drive to push the coaches and kids enough. All great coaches have that.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n230235 said:
It's nice to have an offensive vision again, even if I suspect it may be a lil more ground and pound than I'd prefer. I really think we will get a lil more John L Smith and that isn't the worst thing. He was pretty good back in the day. People forget that Mac spent like 20 years under him.

I'm not sold on the DC, but I do think we have sufficient talent (not deep at some positions) and sufficient experienced coaches behind the DC (Shannon and Rumph) that could step in at DC if the coordinator flops. I also think they are experienced enough that they won't be afraid to chime in if they see things that need to be corrected.

Running between the tackles is fine with me...if you have the OL and RBs to do it. I certainly don't want to see Rainey in the ground and pound, like WM tried to do.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
CaribGator;n230204 said:
The proof is in the pudding, yakkity yak, and as the quote goes, 'just win baby' . Big isn't always better.. Percy wasn't exactly hulk. Now we do need big uglies.
I was watching an LE class one time. Big guy that was one of the slowest on the run was doing a drill where the cop has to learn to face two attackers at once, the so-called stacking drill. Two of the quickest runners were picked. The big dude successfully fended them off for a few seconds then just took one kid, jerked him offbalance and swung him into the second one. The two quick guys were in a pile. Instructor started laughing. He said do you remember that old saying, it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog? Thats bull shiiiiiiiiiiiii, you get in a fight with a much bigger dog and most of the time you are going to get your a$# kicked.

That's mostly true. The difference between 4.4 and 4.3 isn't much even 4.3 and 4.5 doesn't make much of a difference in a normal pass route. Or when a backer has an angle on a scat back. We won't be recruiting Div 2 oafs (no offense SAS). We just won't be focused on finding every damn smurf in the country. That's great news.

S

skyflake

Founding Member
Founding Member
What "smurfs" did Muschamp seek? Fulwood, for example, is 6'4", but has been a major disappointment. Don't hand me any garbage about coaching, Robinson, in the same class, has done very well, just because a receiver is tall doesn't mean he can play.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Love that Mac has a vision and he is following it. I hope it works out greatly for him.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n230250 said:
I was watching an LE class one time. Big guy that was one of the slowest on the run was doing a drill where the cop has to learn to face two attackers at once, the so-called stacking drill. Two of the quickest runners were picked. The big dude successfully fended them off for a few seconds then just took one kid, jerked him offbalance and swung him into the second one. The two quick guys were in a pile. Instructor started laughing. He said do you remember that old saying, it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog? Thats bull shiiiiiiiiiiiii, you get in a fight with a much bigger dog and most of the time you are going to get your a$# kicked.

That's mostly true. The difference between 4.4 and 4.3 isn't much even 4.3 and 4.5 doesn't make much of a difference in a normal pass route. Or when a backer has an angle on a scat back. We won't be recruiting Div 2 oafs (no offense SAS). We just won't be focused on finding every damn smurf in the country. That's great news.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
maheo30;n230067 said:
“You look at us getting off the bus now offensively, and it’s like the Land of Misfit Toys. They’re all different and recruited for different systems.”

This is such a dig at Muschump whether he intends it to be or not.

It's completely true and rather sad. Muschamp had no vision.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
MidwestChomp;n230390 said:
It's completely true and rather sad. Muschamp had no vision.

Just thinking back, we insisted on running a power game with guys like Rainey and Demps, and OL like Silberman leading the way. Then, once we started seeing some of the right type of players being put into place, we abandon that thought and decide to go hurry-up, spread'em out.

You actually couldn't script it any worse.

Not sure if he truly didn't understand that you can't change your mind 2 or 3 times in a year with regards to philosophy, or if he was just arrogant enough to think he could sustain it. Either way, it left us with everything but Buttermaker roaming the sidelines.

Jand3k

I Don't Re Member
Sep 12, 2014
Fall-ball can't get here fast enough. I can not wait to see what we look like w/all the cogs in place and under McElwain's new offense.

We should be stacked at QB and O-line but with just zero game experience and not gelled together or enough to make a second team.

But stacked.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator said:
You actually couldn't script it any worse.
That's a pretty good motto to describe the Chimp Years. It was as if he was trying to suck.

Albert

Enormous Member
Aug 22, 2014
Big Mac gonna make 13 other SEC HC's and 2 coordinators named Kiffin and Muschamp his collective Beyotch by next Christmas. Book it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.