Mike White - coach of the year?

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
No, I agree with you. It left with Billy and the lack of hiring a Top Tier coach. If we had hired an Archie Miller, we'd still be a Top Tier program. Fooley let that go with Billy.
My point exactly. I remember a year ago when Colin Cowherd did a whole segment on how Florida was a top program and job in hoops, and how we had passed most of the traditional programs like the UVA, Syracuse, Georgetown, UCLA, etc.

If we had hired a top tier coach we would be rolling with the press and recruits. Instead we're hoping White can grow into being a top coach, otherwise we just lost 20 years of program building in one FFF (Failed Foley Fuk-up).

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My point exactly. I remember a year ago when Colin Cowherd did a whole segment on how Florida was a top program and job in hoops, and how we had passed most of the traditional programs like the UVA, Syracuse, Georgetown, UCLA, etc.

If we had hired a top tier coach we would be rolling with the press and recruits. Instead we're hoping White can grow into being a top coach, otherwise we just lost 20 years of program building in one FFF (Failed Foley Fuk-up).

This is my entire point.
We had one opportunity to try and maintain the momentum from Billy or lose it, maybe forever, due to the fact that our program does not have all the other advantages of top ten programs.
I too was hoping for an Archie Miller type of hire given that the new coach could clearly see that the roster was in decent shape (Don't make me go through all of the reasons the roster was strong again) and that the legacy was in place at least at that point.
When people said we should just hire Pelphrey, I disagreed because I thought we could pull a proven up and coming coach.
When we announced White as the new coach, I knew who he was but was still disappointed, but thought maybe Jeremy had pulled off another shrewd hire.Now even Pelphrey looks like a better hire.

Although White may develop into a good coach, the momentum is slipping by the minute and key recruits in Florida are back to going anywhere but Florida just like twenty years ago so any resurgence will be long and painful.

Now I ask that everyone convince me why I should pay $3500/year to keep my two seats on the 3rd row. I am struggling with it.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
This is my entire point.
We had one opportunity to try and maintain the momentum from Billy or lose it, maybe forever, due to the fact that our program does not have all the other advantages of top ten programs.
I too was hoping for an Archie Miller type of hire given that the new coach could clearly see that the roster was in decent shape (Don't make me go through all of the reasons the roster was strong again) and that the legacy was in place at least at that point.
When people said we should just hire Pelphrey, I disagreed because I thought we could pull a proven up and coming coach.
When we announced White as the new coach, I knew who he was but was still disappointed, but thought maybe Jeremy had pulled off another shrewd hire.Now even Pelphrey looks like a better hire.

Although White may develop into a good coach, the momentum is slipping by the minute and key recruits in Florida are back to going anywhere but Florida just like twenty years ago so any resurgence will be long and painful.

Now I ask that everyone convince me why I should pay $3500/year to keep my two seats on the 3rd row. I am struggling with it.
If you paid through the Devoe years, why stop now? :lol:

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
This is my entire point.

Because you love Gator basketball.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.