Mike White - coach of the year?

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
the guys looked worse last year. I think Billy had let some things slip in his last couple years. He hasn't been fully invested in UF since he left for the NBA the first time.
I'll grant you that. The team was awful. I guess Christine should have let him go the first time.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Please name 10 programs that have been more successful in the last 20 years?

Florida is not close to being a top ten program.
Recent success does not define a program, it is a component but only one of several components to include:
fan support
facilities
resources
tradition
importance to the community/fan base.

Other than recent success, I can't see ranking us in the top twenty in any of these other categories.
In basketball especially, the performance on the court can drop very quickly due to small roster size. All the advantages associated with recent success can vanish over night.

If recent success defined the top programs then Boise State would be a top ten football program. I doubt anyone here would say that Boise State is a top ten program in football.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Florida is not close to being a top ten program.
Recent success does not define a program, it is a component but only one of several components to include:
fan support
facilities
resources
tradition
importance to the community/fan base.

Other than recent success, I can't see ranking us in the top twenty in any of these other categories.
In basketball especially, the performance on the court can drop very quickly due to small roster size. All the advantages associated with recent success can vanish over night.

If recent success defined the top programs then Boise State would be a top ten football program. I doubt anyone here would say that Boise State is a top ten program in football.
Exactly how many championships has boise state won in football? Our basketball facilities are top notch if you haven't seen em. I would compare our basketball history with LSU. Not much history until the late 90s. As far as fan support, we get a better draw than some on this board give credit for. There was a point in billy's tenure when we had more players in the league than anybody.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I wanted us to hire Archie, but it doesn't matter now. White is our coach. I'm not sure how good or bad he is yet. He has gotten the team to improve at some point, but they have regressed lately. I think Allen is hitting a little bit of a freshman wall. The team needs to find their defensive identity again. Tonight is a huge game.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think some of you are confusing Top 10 program of all time, as if we're talking about GOAT, and currently a Top 10 program.

T's been by himself in this argument and I'm here to help support him. We are/were a Top 10 program with Billy here and as he left us. Could be argued a Top 5 program. We had the opportunity to hire a Top Tier, best in the country coach and instead went with another Fooley Dollar Loan Center hire. Archie should have been given a call, and we should have unloaded the truck. I guarantee you he wouldn't have let the ODome remodel put on hold.

Some of you have said Mich St. is a Top 10 program but not Florida? How so? Once Izzo leaves, they'll be facing the same issue we did when Billy left. My bet is they actually go out and hire a Top Tier coach, unlike us.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Freaking pitt? Are you serious?

Yep, I am. Just discussing basketball by itself, I think there are a number of Northeastern teams that are better jobs than ours, even if they don't have as many titles.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I think some of you are confusing Top 10 program of all time, as if we're talking about GOAT, and currently a Top 10 program.

T's been by himself in this argument and I'm here to help support him. We are/were a Top 10 program with Billy here and as he left us. Could be argued a Top 5 program. We had the opportunity to hire a Top Tier, best in the country coach and instead went with another Fooley Dollar Loan Center hire. Archie should have been given a call, and we should have unloaded the truck. I guarantee you he wouldn't have let the ODome remodel put on hold.

Some of you have said Mich St. is a Top 10 program but not Florida? How so? Once Izzo leaves, they'll be facing the same issue we did when Billy left. My bet is they actually go out and hire a Top Tier coach, unlike us.

This is what disappointed me the most about the White hire. In time, we may be proved wrong, but I agree that we were a top 10 program and we should have been able to bring in an Archie Miller type. Now we don't know if conversations were had and Archie wasn't interested or what, but it certainly seems like the White hire happened fast and some of the bigger names were not looked at.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yep, I am. Just discussing basketball by itself, I think there are a number of Northeastern teams that are better jobs than ours, even if they don't have as many titles.
So you're going to stick with that? I love you durty but I don't see any reasoning behind that. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. You're still my bro fwiw

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
So you're going to stick with that? I love you durty but I don't see any reasoning behind that. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. You're still my bro fwiw

It's just like, my opinion man... you still my dogg...

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Exactly how many championships has boise state won in football? Our basketball facilities are top notch if you haven't seen em. I would compare our basketball history with LSU. Not much history until the late 90s. As far as fan support, we get a better draw than some on this board give credit for. There was a point in billy's tenure when we had more players in the league than anybody.

Have I seen them?
I have sat on the 3rd row for 35 years now so yes I have seen them.
Our facilities are good but not great.
The championships left the building with the coach that departed last year
All of Billy's accomplishments, including all the players in the league, will disappear in the eyes of recruits in a couple more years..
Other than the 2-3 years of the glory days ('05-'07) we have failed to sellout more than 3-4 games/year. Top ten programs have people waiting on lists to get season tickets.
I can't tell you how many times I have come on this board and that other one, and implored Gator fans to support the program only to see another season full of games where we had 4-5k empty seats.
But what do I know, I have only been intimately involved in the program since 1981.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Actually, your comment about Michigan St. is not true.
Way back before Izzo, they had this guy named Judd Heathcoate. and he won a few games as well to include a national title in 1979 with some guy named Earvin Johnson playing point guard.
What is my point? MSU has been a winning top tier program for decades with coaching turnover. This is what defines a top ten program.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Actually, your comment about Michigan St. is not true.
Way back before Izzo, they had this guy named Judd Heathcoate. and he won a few games as well to include a national title in 1979 with some guy named Earvin Johnson playing point guard.
What is my point? MSU has been a winning top tier program for decades with coaching turnover. This is what defines a top ten program.
I believe my comment is very true. Heathcote went to the Elite Eight his 2nd year and won the Title his 3rd year with Magic. And oh, BTW, Magic happened to be from where? Yep, Lansing Mich. Hometown kid. Other than that, he had 2 Sweet 16s and 3 NITs in his 20 years. Far from being Top Tier program.

Heathcote had a couple bright spots and Izzo propelled them to Top Tier. Sloan/Kruger had a couple bright spots for us, and Billy made us a Top Tier.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I believe my comment is very true. Heathcote went to the Elite Eight his 2nd year and won the Title his 3rd year with Magic. And oh, BTW, Magic happened to be from where? Yep, Lansing Mich. Hometown kid. Other than that, he had 2 Sweet 16s and 3 NITs in his 20 years. Far from being Top Tier program.

Heathcote had a couple bright spots and Izzo propelled them to Top Tier. Sloan/Kruger had a couple bright spots for us, and Billy made us a Top Tier.

I agree with you 100% that Billy made us top tier.
I guess where you and I differ is that we now maintain that status. Unfortunately, I believe it left the building with him.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I agree with you 100% that Billy made us top tier.
I guess where you and I differ is that we now maintain that status. Unfortunately, I believe it left the building with him.
No, I agree with you. It left with Billy and the lack of hiring a Top Tier coach. If we had hired an Archie Miller, we'd still be a Top Tier program. Fooley let that go with Billy.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
The only thing that made it not a top 10 job is Foley being too cheap to pay a new coach top 10 money.
The only thing that made it even close to a top 10 job was because Foley hired and retained Billy for nearly 2 decades.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.