Mike White - coach of the year?

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Actually it isn't... We aren't getting Billy back this season... he took another job. You're argument about Billy being the coach this year is a fool's errand.

So either you are b*tching to b*tch. Or you have a better candidate you had in mind. If White doesn't deserve to be in the conversation and should be replace... by whom. You say he shouldn't be COY (which part I agree), but with all your b*tching, who would you want. Put your name on it. At least others have manned up and actually stated a name...

PS... Surprising T has manned up over someone else on this point....

Where exactly was I bitching versus providing an opinion?
How do my comments demand that I speculate as to a coach I would prefer that would never take the job?
How did commenting on coach White turn into a "Billy sucks" thread?
Why so confrontational today?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Where exactly was I *****ing versus providing an opinion?

See answer to question 2.

How do my comments demand that I speculate as to a coach I would prefer that would never take the job?

COY is only against NCAA coaching, if you are going to complain about what is here.. then give an alternative.. If you are only going to complain, which is what you are doing... then offer solutions. Without solutions all you are doing is complaining, either pining for a guy who left or wanting something else. The guy who left is gone. You even said that.

How did commenting on coach White turn into a "Billy sucks" thread?

I never said Billy sucks, I just said Billy isn't here. So stop comparing this season's job to a mythical season where Billy is the coach. We didn't fire Billy he left of his own accord.

Why so confrontational today?

Because I'm tired of the whining.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
See answer to question 2.

COY is only against NCAA coaching, if you are going to complain about what is here.. then give an alternative.. If you are only going to complain, which is what you are doing... then offer solutions. Without solutions all you are doing is complaining, either pining for a guy who left or wanting something else. The guy who left is gone. You even said that.

I never said Billy sucks, I just said Billy isn't here. So stop comparing this season's job to a mythical season where Billy is the coach. We didn't fire Billy he left of his own accord.

Because I'm tired of the whining.

I truly do not understand you, it is as if we speak different languages.
- I commented on White as COY which is what the topic is about
- If you followed the entire thread, there was lots of Billy bashing
- I already stated that I have always been concerned that we would not be able to get a top tier coach.

I won't respond any further because you will interpret this in a way I don't follow.
Just tell yourself you won the discussion and we can move on.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

PS... Surprising T has manned up over someone else on this point....

I'd also like to throw out there that I don't think white is a bad coach or atleast not yet. There are some decisions he's made that I think are head scratchers but there's also some things that have gone on that aren't his fault. Recruiting is going to make or break him.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I'd also like to throw out there that I don't think white is a bad coach or atleast not yet. There are some decisions he's made that I think are head scratchers but there's also some things that have gone on that aren't his fault. Recruiting is going to make or break him.
Isn't that the issue we are discussing? The fact that we're even discussing the idea that the "affordable" coach Foley hired may be a bad coach is ridiculous. Multiple final 4's, elite 8's, and a couple of national championships, along with being in a fertile recruiting state in which we are (were?) the unequivocal premier program was the reality. Throw in the 50 million ready to be spent in renovation and you see this was a top 10 job.

White seems like a helluva stand up guy and I hope he finds a way to get us rolling, but it seems pretty obvious to me why someone would look at this hire and wonder if Foley didn't cheap out again.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
One area of "always should notice" is that none of those famed HCs used stars from
the state of Florida, or even the southeast, to make their valid title runs. The 2 years
I lived in Blacksberg Virginia I played ordinary pick-up BB nightime at the YMCA. We
had a pre-game meeting at center court where we were informed what rules applied i.e.-
goaltending would be called. 2 bystanders was given whistles to call fouls. It was a different
world.

That Y was open 'til midnight; it was in perfect condition. It had 6 half-courts and they were all
filled by 10 players and many were on the boundaries waiting. In areas like the NE & state of
Indiana, basketball is put on a high-pedestal. Youth BB programs were associated with the
"elementary" schools and the YMCA. Long before the PC youth soccer push, the NE area
was promoting youth-BB forever.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Isn't that the issue we are discussing? The fact that we're even discussing the idea that the "affordable" coach Foley hired may be a bad coach is ridiculous. Multiple final 4's, elite 8's, and a couple of national championships, along with being in a fertile recruiting state in which we are (were?) the unequivocal premier program was the reality. Throw in the 50 million ready to be spent in renovation and you see this was a top 10 job.

White seems like a helluva stand up guy and I hope he finds a way to get us rolling, but it seems pretty obvious to me why someone would look at this hire and wonder if Foley didn't cheap out again.
This isn't even close to being a top 10 job in college hoops...no matter how orange blue our glasses are.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
This isn't even close to being a top 10 job in college hoops...no matter how orange blue our glasses are.
Please name 10 programs that have been more successful in the last 20 years?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Please name 10 programs that have been more successful in the last 20 years?
That doesn't make it a top 10 job. The guy that had the job was a top 5 caliber coach and a HOFer.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
That doesn't make it a top 10 job. The guy that had the job was a top 5 caliber coach and a HOFer.
So he's the only guy capable of being successful here? This place has the resources and recruiting base to match anbody other than duke, unc and Kentucky. And you do have a point though, it takes the right guy running the program. Like spurrier, Billy built a top 10 program.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
So he's the only guy capable of being successful here? This place has the resources and recruiting base to match anbody other than duke, unc and Kentucky. And you do have a point though, it takes the right guy running the program. Like spurrier, Billy built a top 10 program.
Not even close. UCLA, Louisville, Kansas, Syracuse, Michigan, MSU, OSU and more if I really thought about it. Basketball is little more than filler after football season to the majority of Gator fans. It's a top 25 job, but it's not a top 10 job. Wasn't even a top 40 job before Billy arrived.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Not even close. UCLA, Louisville, Kansas, Syracuse, Michigan, MSU, OSU and more if I really thought about it. Basketball is little more than filler after football season to the majority of Gator fans. It's a top 25 job, but it's not a top 10 job. Wasn't even a top 40 job before Billy arrived.
Ok I'll give you Kansas, I forgot about them. Michigan and osu? Are you on crack? We've owned ucla. I'd put us upthere with sparty, louisville, ucla and uconn. If this is such a bad job then why did Billy turn down Kentucky 3 times?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Ok I'll give you Kansas, I forgot about them. Michigan and osu? Are you on crack? We've owned ucla. I'd put us upthere with sparty, louisville, ucla and uconn. If this is such a bad job then why did Billy turn down Kentucky 3 times?
So beating UCLA a few times makes for a better program/job opportunity? :lol:
We had exactly 5 tournament appearances with one Cinderella Final Four run and ONE conference title before Billy arrived. Think about that. We weren't anymore an elite program than JU at the time. Billy stayed because he and his wife loved Gainesville and his employer.
I never sad it was a bad job...its just not an elite job that you want to believe it is.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Regardless of whether we beat some teams or not, we are not necessarily a better program than they are. Arizona wasn't mentioned yet but that's another better than our brand. Schools like Pitt, Villanova and Georgetown are also really storied as well. Even if they don't have the money and resources we do, they are still very respected programs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Regardless of whether we beat some teams or not, we are not necessarily a better program than they are. Arizona wasn't mentioned yet but that's another better than our brand. Schools like Pitt, Villanova and Georgetown are also really storied as well. Even if they don't have the money and resources we do, they are still very respected programs.

Ok but if you're a coach where would you rather go, Florida or Georgetown?

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Ok but if you're a coach where would you rather go, Florida or Georgetown?
I also mentioned Arizona and Pitt. And if I'm a coach and zona is on the table I'm not even interviewing for Florida. Between Pitt and Florida it's a bit closer but I'd probably still have to go with Pitt. Bottom line is we've been trading on Billy's name. That's over now and it's not gonna change.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I also mentioned Arizona and Pitt. And if I'm a coach and zona is on the table I'm not even interviewing for Florida. Between Pitt and Florida it's a bit closer but I'd probably still have to go with Pitt. Bottom line is we've been trading on Billy's name. That's over now and it's not gonna change.

Freaking pitt? Are you serious? Zona I can definitely see that. But what the **** has Pittsburg ever done? It's not even close. I can't believe this is coming from our own fans.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
When discussing how elite a job is some people are stuck in the past. Uk, Duke, Kansas and a couple of other schools are top tier no matter what...all others should really be judged on recent success, recruiting base, facility, fan base (can be good or bad), and a few other things...last should be the storied history. By this I mean who cares about titles and success in the 20s, 30s, etc...they are too far back to mean anything other than for fans.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Florida is not a state that produces a ton of basketball talent out of high school.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Florida is not a state that produces a ton of basketball talent out of high school.
It produces its share. Not as much as football but you can compete for championships if you can get the best guys in Florida every year.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.