Military Traits

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
How can you tell that someone was in the military? What are the top subtle traits?

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Back in January my boss hired a guy to do our property management on the contract. He came to us with "experience" so he was to be the lead. This guy is retired Army with 24 years of active duty service. He was Special Forces and even a drill instructor. His posture gives him away in the way he stands and walks. His speech is another dead give-away.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Short hair, gig line and an affinity for acronyms
All of those are true. As are being punctual (ie EARLY) and patriotic. Many people, today, are none of these so when you see them in one person then it's a forgone conclusion that they're military.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
The list is long, but the easiest dead give away is they back into their parking spaces. My old unit moved to a temporary HQs in a large metro area. This was a huge campus of identical high rise buildings and I was having trouble finding the place. Went into one parking lot and 99% of the vehicles parked there were backed in and I knew I had the right place.

And pointing with not just a finger, but the whole hand, like a karate chop or hand salute. Or they look at you silently after you say something retarded while their brain switches between Soldier and civilian figuring out the appropriate response.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Ironing their blue jeans.
Is That Wrong GIF by The Streamy Awards

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
How can you tell that someone was in the military? What are the top subtle traits?
Promptness I would put at the top of the list. A lot of things depend on whether they were enlisted or officers. Take problem solving, for example. If they were an officer, call a meeting and form a committee to solve a problem. Whatever happens, make sure you aren't doing something someone below you can take care of. If they were enlisted, just break out a hammer and a screwdriver and fix the sumbitch.

Last edited:

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
My Dad always said “yes suh” and “no suh”, even when he was addressing me (his young son).

The interesting thing about that is my Dad learned English in Detroit in the 20s when I presume they pronounced “sir” with an “r”.

:dunno:

He also liked pan-fried Spam but that might be more of a WWII thing.

Alex.

BeachGator

Mar 10, 2018
Went to a local concert last night, the first song in the program was the National Anthem. The MC invited all to stand; place your hand over your heart. As I started the move with my righthand, all of a sudden my hand moved to a salute. Done without thinking. It just happened.

USAF
1956-1960

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Every button, buttoned. Every zipper at least zip half way. Gig line straight, yep. Uses Sir and Ma'am for everyone. On time (early). Lets the junior person at a meeting speak first. If senior, speaks last. No hands in pockets. Doesn't own an umbrella.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator