Missouri Valley Champs

BostonGator84

Founding Member
Infrequent Frequenter
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So I was reading the scores from today and saw that Loyola-Chicago won the Missouri Valley championship this year and is going dancing for the first time since 1985. They ended the season 28-5 and haven’t lost since January.

Now looking back, does that impact our thoughts on our early December loss to them? For me, while still embarrassing, it lessens the sting a little, knowing they aren’t as bad as we thought they were at the time. But any other thoughts y’all have would be appreciated.

BostonGator84

Founding Member
Infrequent Frequenter
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Moral victory time.

I like to think of it as "perspective" - not a "moral victory."

Lunardi currently has Loyola-Chicago as a 12 seed, and Jerry Palm at CBS has them as a 12 seed as well. Definitely a possible 12-5 upset, depending on the matchup.

They are 6-1 against the RPI top 100.

They took advantage of Wichita State fleeing the conference for greener pastures.

Great White Buffalo

Lifetime Member
Dec 7, 2017
Loyola is 29th in RPI, 42 Kenpom, 52 BPI and 64 Sagarin right now. Those are solid numbers for a low mid-major. That loss doesn't hurt nearly as much as Vandy (116, 84, 84 and 74) and Ole Miss (124, 106, 105, and 98). Losing to the poodles at home (especially after already losing to them on the road) was also a bad loss. Take those 3 losses out and we win the SEC and are in contention for a 2 seed.

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Loyola Chicago is a former national champion beating two-time defending champ Cincinnati in 1962-63. The Ramblers are back, baby.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Loyola is 29th in RPI, 42 Kenpom, 52 BPI and 64 Sagarin right now. Those are solid numbers for a low mid-major. That loss doesn't hurt nearly as much as Vandy (116, 84, 84 and 74) and Ole Miss (124, 106, 105, and 98). Losing to the poodles at home (especially after already losing to them on the road) was also a bad loss. Take those 3 losses out and we win the SEC and are in contention for a 2 seed.

I read an article quoting an NBA scout saying that White did a really good job (at the end of the season) working w/ a selfish group of players. That's about the only thing I can think of why this team was so up and down. Losing some of those games (Vandy, UGA, Ole Miss, Loyola) are inexcusable (if we want to be a serious 'basketball school'). Sure, you occasionally lose some of those games - especially a conference game when you play the team twice. But getting swept by UGA was bad and the UF's of the world don't lose to the Loyola's of the world (if they want to be a 'basketball school'). Hopefully White can keep the momentum going. Drubbing Kentucky was impressive, especially after UK had seemed to be back on track.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think it's hard to judge trends by one game.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Should have won that game. No excuse to lose at home to them. It would have been an good win for the resume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator