MLB's All-Time HR List

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Ted Williams hit 521. He missed nearly 4 full seasons to 2 wars. The first 3 in WW 2 came right after his .406 in 1941 and triple crown in 1942. He missed prime years from 43-45 and then again 52 and 53. Likely cost him anywhere from 125-175 HR’s. Maybe more. Lifetime BA of .344. Amazing.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Ted Williams was the greatest hitter who ever played the game. When he made solid contact, players on both teams claimed they could smell wood burning..... I wish there were videos of his games.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Remembering MLB's greatest homer binge

Growing up one of my favorite home run hitters was big Frank Howard. When I was a kid I used to buy baseball cards and pre-season baseball magazines. There was an article in one of the magazines one year that told of a giant in the minor leagues who was hitting some of the longest home runs ever. The writer of the article predicted that Frank Howard would be the next Babe Ruth. And at 6 foot 5 inches tall and 255 pounds Frank Howard was literally a giant especially for his time. I kept this name in the back of my mind and waited for the day when Frank Howard would be in the major leagues.

Another thing that made Howard special for me was that he played for the Washington Senators a perennial bottom dweller in the American League back in the 1960s. While Howard would never be listed among the greatest home run hitters of all time he did put up some pretty good numbers and he hit some of the longest home runs ever witnessed in major league baseball history. A great feat (described in the article linked above) was the 10 home runs he hit in 20 at bats in 1968. And on top of all his credentials Frank Howard is said to have been one of the nicest guys ever to play in the big leagues.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Remembering MLB's greatest homer binge

Growing up one of my favorite home run hitters was big Frank Howard. When I was a kid I used to buy baseball cards and pre-season baseball magazines. There was an article in one of the magazines one year that told of a giant in the minor leagues who was hitting some of the longest home runs ever. The writer of the article predicted that Frank Howard would be the next Babe Ruth. And at 6 foot 5 inches tall and 255 pounds Frank Howard was literally a giant especially for his time. I kept this name in the back of my mind and waited for the day when Frank Howard would be in the major leagues.

Another thing that made Howard special for me was that he played for the Washington Senators a perennial bottom dweller in the American League back in the 1960s. While Howard would never be listed among the greatest home run hitters of all time he did put up some pretty good numbers and he hit some of the longest home runs ever witnessed in major league baseball history. A great feat (described in the article linked above) was the 10 home runs he hit in 20 at bats in 1968. And on top of all his credentials Frank Howard is said to have been one of the nicest guys ever to play in the big leagues.

I think it was the 1968 AllStar game when Howard absolutely crushed one.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Not my #1 but posting to recognize Negro League legend Josh Gibson and Japanese League legend Sadaharu Oh.

But Ruth is the GOAT.

Alex.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
It would be very interesting to see how Babe Ruth would do in an era where fastballs aren't 80 mph tops. But stadiums were also huge and the bat he swung was like 45 ounces. :lol:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It would be very interesting to see how Babe Ruth would do in an era where fastballs aren't 80 mph tops. But stadiums were also huge and the bat he swung was like 45 ounces.
When it comes to era comparisons, it's the same issue regardless of the sport. Relativity. Ruth would probably struggle with a 93-mph fastball and yet he didn't benefit from a lot of the things the modern players have, and vice versa.

I think it comes down to how great the athlete was relative to his peers. Ruth was head and shoulders better.

There are some players I would bet on regardless of era. Sandy Koufax is one. He'd be damn near just as dominant today.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
When it comes to era comparisons, it's the same issue regardless of the sport. Relativity. Ruth would probably struggle with a 93-mph fastball and yet he didn't benefit from a lot of the things the modern players have, and vice versa.

I think it comes down to how great the athlete was relative to his peers. Ruth was head and shoulders better.

There are some players I would bet on regardless of era. Sandy Koufax is one. He'd be damn near just as dominant today.

Ruth was head, shoulders, chest, waist, thighs, and knees above his “peers”.

Look at the HR numbers before Ruth. He more than doubled the previous records. He hit more HRs than entire teams. There is a reason we have the word “Ruthian”.

Oh, and he could pitch. Well.

Totally agree that the only way to compare players from different eras is greatness relative to others of the same era. That’s why Ruth is the GOAT.

Alex.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Ruth was head, shoulders, chest, waist, thighs, and knees above his “peers”.

Look at the HR numbers before Ruth. He more than doubled the previous records. He hit more HRs than entire teams. There is a reason we have the word “Ruthian”.

Oh, and he could pitch. Well.

Totally agree that the only way to compare players from different eras is greatness relative to others of the same era. That’s why Ruth is the GOAT.

Alex.
Big difference between then and now, baseball and football. Versatility. Players back then played multiple positions, often during the same game. No more. Everything's specialized now.

Babe Ruth wasn't just an average pitcher for the Red Sox. He was one of the game's best.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
No doubt Babe Ruth completely and utterly changed the game of baseball by himself. I’m not sure of any other athlete who did that. Maybe Edwin Moses in the 400m hurdles because he changed the standard to 13 steps between hurdles, but that’s about it.

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
Pujols' 11 year stint to start his career with St. Louis was otherwordly. Going out to Anaheim was such a bad decision.

Fun fact: Albert Pujols is also the all-time leader in GDP. He has grounded into 386 double plays in his career. :lol:
As a huge Angel fan I'm pretty sure 90% of those double plays have been as an Angel. Pujols has been stealing money since the day here got out here. Dude has been a complete and monumental bust for the Halos. Angel fans are counting the days until his contract is up.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
As a huge Angel fan I'm pretty sure 90% of those double plays have been as an Angel. Pujols has been stealing money since the day here got out here. Dude has been a complete and monumental bust for the Halos. Angel fans are counting the days until his contract is up.
It was such a bad decision for him. I was utterly shocked when he made the move.

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
It was such a bad decision for him. I was utterly shocked when he made the move.
It was a great decision for Albert. He's making a fortune. Horrible decision for the Angels. At least now after 7 years, they've finally moved him down in the line-up.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

I think pitchers are a little bit easier to see how great they would be across any era. Koufax, Seaver, Randy Johnson, Maddox, Ryan. Those guys would be dominant in any era.

It’s similar to a point guard in the NBA. Great point guards are great point guards. They can either see the floor or they can’t. The most difficult PG to assess across multiple eras would be John Stockton (IMO). Mainly because he played with Malone for so long that the pick and roll became second nature - like breathing. I have no idea how he would have fared with other players.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Ruth and Gehrig was the greatest one-two punch in the history of baseball. Other great one-two combos that I can recall off the top of my head would be Hank Aaron and Eddie Mathews, Maris and Mantle, Mays and McCovey. I am sure there are several others but those are four that come to my mind most readily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.