More Krull and Pitts Please

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
I know Kyle Pitts only caught one pass against MSU but the close-up replay showed he possesses the fast-twitch quix of a wide receiver...and at 6'-6", 246 pounds. Match-up problem for safeties and linebackers?

Lucas Krull is 6'-6" and 255 pounds and another big target.

Just thinking the current trio of Lewis, Stephens and Gamble could use some help.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Agree on both. Glad to see both get real PT last week. Krull has been doing well on ST's.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
Mullen's offense requires a lot of TEs: they're responsible for a LOT of presnap motion, have to know downfield routes/spacing, AND have to block.

It's a lot for freshman to pick up quickly and I don't think we'll see huge contributions from them until next year; but that said: both have been impressive and made tough catches last weekend. Wouldn't mind utilizing them in the passing game more, but there's only so many touches to go around.

No offense to Lewis (who's actually not having a bad season by any means)--but I think both have shown far more promise in limited action than he did as a freshman, so it's safe to say the future is bright.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
No offense to Lewis (who's actually not having a bad season by any means)--but I think both have shown far more promise in limited action than he did as a freshman, so it's safe to say the future is bright.

I’ve seen Lewis miss multiple blocks. I mean completely whiff. I think it was in the last game where he missed a huge one that led to a bad sack.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
If I have a criticism of Mullen it's his desire to bring talented young players on slowly.
Krulls soft hands and running abilities were evident on his very first catch, in the first or second game, and Pitts catch with a guy literally hanging on his back was more impressive than anything Lewis has done to date.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
I’ve seen Lewis miss multiple blocks. I mean completely whiff. I think it was in the last game where he missed a huge one that led to a bad sack.

He is what he is at this point. He's missed a few blocks and has like one catch all year; but on that play (also this last game) he ran a good route and got in position on Franks' scrambling out of the pocket. In previous years, that would have been a drop or tipped for an interception...so let's just take progress where we can find it, lol.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Hard to believe C'yantai is a R-Sr already. Same for Stephens. Time flies.

Last edited:

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I say let the older guys play for now. But Lewis should by now be a solid blocker. We have 3 young TEs that could be pretty good and Lang might end up a good player.

One TE in this class?

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
If I have a criticism of Mullen it's his desire to bring talented young players on slowly.
Krulls soft hands and running abilities were evident on his very first catch, in the first or second game, and Pitts catch with a guy literally hanging on his back was more impressive than anything Lewis has done to date.
Clearly coach Mullen thinks he can win a little with this team. I understand why everyone's clamoring for the younger guys, but it's just not feasible at this time. For a lot of Freshmen the talent is there, but they have to first develop mentally. It's usually the nuances that keep freshmen off the field.

MADGator

This space intentionally left blank
Jan 28, 2015
I know Kyle Pitts only caught one pass against MSU but the close-up replay showed he possesses the fast-twitch quix of a wide receiver...and at 6'-6", 246 pounds.

Those few seconds of that play were impressive. At first I thought, What WR is that?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I say let the older guys play for now. But Lewis should by now be a solid blocker. We have 3 young TEs that could be pretty good and Lang might end up a good player.

One TE in this class?

Lang will likely move to DE. And hopefully we get Zipperer, who would likely be the only TE in the class.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
We've got some pretty good ball players at the position down the road. I'm pleased with the outlook here for sure. For the first time in a while the position looks to have both talent and size unlike in the past(McGee was an exception).

Just say no to converted DE's and oversized slow WR's.....

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The fact that they play two terrible tight ends, two terrible safeties and a terrible DT who all happen to be upperclassmen while much better underclassmen sit.

Did I mention a mediocre RB?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
The fact that they play two terrible tight ends, two terrible safeties and a terrible DT who all happen to be upperclassmen while much better underclassmen sit.

Did I mention a mediocre RB?
Where have you been the last decade? Mediocre has been the upper echelon for most of our position groups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator