Morrison on previous Strength Staff

88drgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
In an interview back in early August, Morrison said he was jealous of the true freshmen because they were going to get to play for Jim McElwain for three or four years. He explained Tuesday.
"It's not even just McElwain,” Morrison said. “Strength staff, coach (Mike) Kent. Man, it's light years better than what we did in the past. Guys actually like lifting. We see our bodies growing, we're putting on weight and guys are getting stronger. We're going into the weight room ready to go."

Might explain the rash of injuries under the previous set of losers.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Let's think on that … players now going in the weight room with faith that these workouts will benefit their playing.
That should translate into fierceness on the field. Some upbeat beat-up.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Again, another example of the ineptness of Asschamp. It has been surprising on the injuries and the amount of them the last four years. It's early in Mac's tenure but there does seem to be a difference. Morrison's explanation and his rehab are perhaps a good bit of proof into how bad it was.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The guys seem pumped for pumping. Let's see how the year plays out. Freak injuries happen but under that last group it was something else.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
There seems to be a common sentiment amongst the players about the previous staff. Hmmmm...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It would be refreshing for a player to accept responsibility for poor effort and execution rather than taking the easy way out and blaming someone else.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Deuce - I'll go with you most of the way. I'm a big proponent of people owning their own decisions, and who can say the staff did or didn't hold anyone back or tell them not to push themselves harder in any given way. But, these are HS kids coming to a big university with the expectation of being coached and developed. The staff are looked at as the experts to help assess any given kid, work up a development plan that fits them, and push them to execute that plan - recognize and develop potential. The previous staff absolutely failed in their responsibility to these kids in so many ways. Yes, the kids can still go work out on their own, but if they believe the coaches words are the plan they need to stick to....there should be a conversation between the player and coaches where the kid says "I understand you want me to do A, B, and C....but I'd also like to do D and E. Will they hinder my development, am I pushing myself too hard to the detriment of the team and my career?" Instead, I'm willing to be there was little communication from the staff beyond "WhyTheFK haven't you done C?!?!?!?!" Perhaps ignoring the fact the kid has to do A and B in order to even start C. WM's glare of hatred certainly didn't invite any conversation from the kids on how to get better.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
First you can't take everything that they say as total truth. Next I can understand on how culture can effect performance. I believe that the culture was one of yelling, complaining, and treating players poorly. Now I think it is more encouraging, teaching, and holding accountable. Much better for moral, in addition hope is now here especially on offense.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
This piling on of such a great head coach needs to stop. All Muschamp needed was another year or 2 and we would have been playing for a national title. :lol2:

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
I remember on the old board and when we were having a starter out for the season what seemed like every week, and I criticized the strength staff. I suggested that they had the wrong approach and if they were doing a form of Cross-fit that it would only do more damage since most don't do the exercises right., and I was crucified. This is some vindication.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
NCOGator;n269698 said:
I remember on the old board and when we were having a starter out for the season what seemed like every week, and I criticized the strength staff. I suggested that they had the wrong approach and if they were doing a form of Cross-fit that it would only do more damage since most don't do the exercises right., and I was crucified. This is some vindication.

You're still wrong.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Gators79;n269687 said:
I told everyone no one would respect a fat slob as a strength and conditioning coach. And I never understood why the slob was always on the sidelines acting as a head cheerleader. Bottom line ButtChamp has piss poor coaching skills and never held anyone accountable.

Or held them "accountable" by yelling, the famous "stare" and other negative means. I watched our new coach, he balanced teaching, criticism, and praise. If you are going to issue corrections you better notice the improvements.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Would you guys get off of Muschamp's back? He is a helluva good coach...
quote from Jeremy Foley

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
TheDouglas78;n269700 said:
You're still wrong.

So much hate. Cross-Fit when done incorrectly causes a lot of damage to the joints period. I believe that is the reason for all those injuries. If you look at the Army you will see the same trend when they went to the new Physical Readiness Training (PRT) program, and you will also notice a downward trend in the Army Physical Fitness Scores as well.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
88drgator;n269605 said:
In an interview back in early August, Morrison said he was jealous of the true freshmen because they were going to get to play for Jim McElwain for three or four years. He explained Tuesday.
"It's not even just McElwain,” Morrison said. “Strength staff, coach (Mike) Kent. Man, it's light years better than what we did in the past. Guys actually like lifting. We see our bodies growing, we're putting on weight and guys are getting stronger. We're going into the weight room ready to go."

Might explain the rash of injuries under the previous set of losers.
It's nice to see the players have confidence in our coaching staff. It's been awhile!

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
NCOGator;n269745 said:
So much hate. Cross-Fit when done incorrectly causes a lot of damage to the joints period. I believe that is the reason for all those injuries. If you look at the Army you will see the same trend when they went to the new Physical Readiness Training (PRT) program, and you will also notice a downward trend in the Army Physical Fitness Scores as well.

Crossfit?? That is totally gay. And I don't mean that in a "NTTAWWT" type of gay, I mean it in a "There is definitely something wrong with that" type of gay.

Please tell me this is just speculation on your part. As much as I adore Will Muschamp, the news that he hired a strength coach to teach football players Crossfit, would be the last straw. He would be dead to me if this is true.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
PastyStoole;n269760 said:
Crossfit?? That is totally gay. And I don't mean that in a "NTTAWWT" type of gay, I mean it in a "There is definitely something wrong with that" type of gay.

Please tell me this is just speculation on your part. As much as I adore Will Muschamp, the news that he hired a strength coach to teach football players Crossfit, would be the last straw. He would be dead to me if this is true.

He isn't already?

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
When we started having all of the ACL injuries under Dillman, serious investigation of our Strength and Conditioning program, and practice fields, should have been done by the coaches and training staff. There should have also been an outside consultant brought in to evaluate how & why the injuries were occurring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.