Mortgage rates

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Lending is printing money....how do you think lending works? You think physical money is moved from one place to the other when someone takes out a mortgage?....it's how money is "created"
Sort of.

When someone takes out a mortgage, that amount is actually transferred to another party.

The source of that money though is other people's deposits at the bank that issues the mortgage and the Fed does set the amount of deposits that the banks actually have to keep on hand instead of lending. And yes, that does create money.

In this case though, the amount of money created is a fairly static multiplier driven by the reserve ratio, and the reserve ratio isn't changed all that often.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
A potpourri of opinions, with a scope of both political and business sides. I am aware of all of them so I think is it a decent cross section. Also think it is a broad view and not locally focused.

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
When someone takes out a mortgage, that amount is actually transferred to another party.

The source of that money though is other people's deposits at the bank that issues the mortgage and the Fed does set the amount of deposits that the banks actually have to keep on hand instead of lending. And yes, that does create money.

In this case though, the amount of money created is a fairly static multiplier driven by the reserve ratio, and the reserve ratio isn't changed all that often.
Actually the effect is even more dramatic than that due to fractional reserve banking.....you're not silly enough to think you are the sole owner of those treasuries or MBS you hold either, are you? :lol: Believe it or not treasuries and MBS are often simultaneously "shared" on more than one balance sheet....but don't tell anyone because it's supposed to be a secret.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Have seen a few lenders offering similar incentives...

Interesting, isn't it sort of the same concept of a ballooning interest rate?
Every little bit helps the first time home owner hoping that rates are better in a few years and can then refinance.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
It is similar to an ARM. Why not buy down the rate for the entire life of the loan? If you stay in the house long enough you will clearly make out in the long run. The answer is most people don;t have the money to buy down the rate for the life of the loan. All this says is no one has any extra for anything.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
It is similar to an ARM. Why not buy down the rate for the entire life of the loan? If you stay in the house long enough you will clearly make out in the long run. The answer is most people don;t have the money to buy down the rate for the life of the loan. All this says is no one has any extra for anything.
It's a seller or lender concession tool although some qualified borrowers can buy down points this is totally different. This and rent to own/lease option will be the new big things to keep houses moving until rates get back under 5%. Not sure if you've seen Diivy or any of a number of new services for this but they are sprouting up quickly over the last 4-6 months. I think alot of them are hedge fund spinoffs from all the buying they did over the last 2 years.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
It's a seller or lender concession tool although some qualified borrowers can buy down points this is totally different. This and rent to own/lease option will be the new big things to keep houses moving until rates get back under 5%. Not sure if you've seen Diivy or any of a number of new services for this but they are sprouting up quickly over the last 4-6 months. I think alot of them are hedge fund spinoffs from all the buying they did over the last 2 years.
No I have not, but my experiences tell me that when this shyt springs up, it is a sign. Just like in the late 90's when every afternoon radio show was a call in stock show, or in 2005-2006 every weekend radio show was a housing show. Well that has started again, so if history tells us anything..........

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
No I have not, but my experiences tell me that when this shyt springs up, it is a sign. Just like in the late 90's when every afternoon radio show was a call in stock show, or in 2005-2006 every weekend radio show was a housing show. Well that has started again, so if history tells us anything..........

Hell if I was a homebuilder I would have already taken my profits and closed up shop after the killing they've had over the last 4 years. The rest of us(existing homes) will take the 10-20% ride downward while the next batch of Millie's get conditioned by the media to 7-8% rates until next March/April and then decide they will jump out the window of their 3rd story apartment and offer up one of their children to make sure they get the "new"5% rate....

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
Sort of.

That's a hopelessly naive view.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
I just locked in today (this morning) on a new home loan in Texas - 6.75%/30 year fixed - with an option to buy down the points.
But...I don't think we'll be there long enough to take advantage of the buydown.
The builder's mortgage broker is paying $20k towards the closing costs and the realtor is kicking in almost $12k.
All we have to bring to the table is the 20% downpayment.

the only thing left to do is... just sell our house in Denver. should be easy after the announcement today, right? :)

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Can you wait till spring to sell?

we might be able to ... may be able to rent it out for a while until the rates come down
houses here in this neighborhood in Denver don't stay on the market for more than three or four weeks.
but... with the latest rate hike(s), don't know for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator