Most important change at UF?

joeblow

Banned
Banned
Aug 12, 2015
“We’ve got some behavior that we’ve got to keep working on,” McElwain said less than an hour after kicking a defensive lineman out of the Florida Gators scrimmage for an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. “What are we? The most penalized team in the last five years, six years, whatever it is? I don’t know where we sit. It’s ridiculous.”

“We don’t put up with it. There’s no excuse. There’s absolutely zero. To me, it’s one of the most selfish acts somebody can do because it’s them and it’s usually because you’re not going as hard as the other guy so now you’re going to be Mr. Tough Guy or whatever,” he said. “Then because of your actions, you hurt the team. I just don’t see any place for that. I don’t get it. There’s no place on a football team for a selfish player. It’s that simple. We just don’t put up with it.”

This is a game-changer. Muschamp, when asked about UF committing stupid penalties, said that UF did that before he got there and implied that there was nothing he could do about it. If UF can learn to play smarter, it will reap the benefits of a victory here and there. It's very true the adage about more games being lost than won, and a sure way to lose is to commit stupid penalties at a higher rate than most everyone else.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Ah, I think a nice rack of ribs on the smoker today would be just about right! Or I could go with some crablegs. Decisions.

Shortcast

Lifetime Member
Aug 10, 2015
Hopefully his actions will serve notice to the rest of the team. I love the part about "it's usually because your not going as hard as the other guy"

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The most important change was the HC. This is something that most certainly did need to be addressed, but hardly the most important issue. The most important issue is gone, thank goodness!

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Time to ban this clown. He's started like 3-4 stupid threads I the past 12 hours. It was amusing for a minute, but time to flush it.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
snow aka sgt aka :nole: you posted something that keeps you off my ban list for a day, one day only. Try not to fall back in to your shady role.

Cutting down on penalties is a big deal. How many 1st and long, 2nd and long, 3rd or a 3rd and short just pushed back to a passing situation because of penalties during recent years. Killed many a drive. And until we get a functional offense again we need to make the other team stop us, not stop ourselves.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n264290 said:
Time to ban this clown. He's started like 3-4 stupid threads I the past 12 hours. It was amusing for a minute, but time to flush it.

Well Gee he might be a troll but this post is spot on.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
joeblow;n264282 said:
“We’ve got some behavior that we’ve got to keep working on,” McElwain said less than an hour after kicking a defensive lineman out of the Florida Gators scrimmage for an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. “What are we? The most penalized team in the last five years, six years, whatever it is? I don’t know where we sit. It’s ridiculous.”

“We don’t put up with it. There’s no excuse. There’s absolutely zero. To me, it’s one of the most selfish acts somebody can do because it’s them and it’s usually because you’re not going as hard as the other guy so now you’re going to be Mr. Tough Guy or whatever,” he said. “Then because of your actions, you hurt the team. I just don’t see any place for that. I don’t get it. There’s no place on a football team for a selfish player. It’s that simple. We just don’t put up with it.”

This is a game-changer. Muschamp, when asked about UF committing stupid penalties, said that UF did that before he got there and implied that there was nothing he could do about it. If UF can learn to play smarter, it will reap the benefits of a victory here and there. It's very true the adage about more games being lost than won, and a sure way to lose is to commit stupid penalties at a higher rate than most everyone else.

Thanks Ox, excellent post.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
It is abundantly clear that Coach Mac recognizes the previous regimes errors. The question going forward is whether or not he can fix them. I think we'll find that out this year.

joeblow

Banned
Banned
Aug 12, 2015
CaribGator;n264294 said:
snow aka sgt aka :nole: you posted something that keeps you off my ban list for a day, one day only. Try not to fall back in to your shady role.

Cutting down on penalties is a big deal. How many 1st and long, 2nd and long, 3rd or a 3rd and short just pushed back to a passing situation because of penalties during recent years. Killed many a drive. And until we get a functional offense again we need to make the other team stop us, not stop ourselves.

It's not just the offense. It sounds like a guy like Darious Cummings won't see the field under McElwain. The only thing he got from Muschamp was an "atta boy."

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
maheo30;n264307 said:
It is abundantly clear that Coach Mac recognizes the previous regimes errors. The question going forward is whether or not he can fix them. I think we'll find that out this year.

I think we will find out if he wants to fix them this year. Every first year coach cleans up some things, but then the effort to keep them cleaned up becomes too great. Time will tell.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
At the very least this Florida Reject Semenhole shouldn't be allowed to start a thread.

At the VERY least.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n264330 said:
At the very least this Florida Reject Semenhole shouldn't be allowed to start a thread.

At the VERY least.

^This

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
joeblow;n264282 said:
Muschamp, when asked about UF committing stupid penalties, said that UF did that before he got there and implied that there was nothing he could do about it.

Link?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I saw/heard him say it at a press conference - - a bit snippy at the reporter who asked him about being the leader in the
SEC in penalties.

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
rogdochar;n264421 said:
I saw/heard him say it at a press conference - - a bit snippy at the reporter who asked him about being the leader in the
SEC in penalties.

He should have been fired on the spot.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
After getting rid of these sorts of overly emotional response penalities, we need to eliminate mistakes that cost us plenty of games as well. Coach is working on the drops, and we have not yet heard about fumbles. With better play Champ would still be here, so perhaps it is for the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.