Mullen getting creative in recruiting

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
Not sure what he is selling but, according to ESPN he has the number 5 ranked class at the moment followed by fan favorites Miami at 9, Ole Miss at 10, MIss State at 12, LSU, Auburn and South Carolina at 13, 14 & 15... I have serious concerns about Mullen being hired but, I like his enthusiasm and what he is doing but... he needs to seriously upgrade recruiting. We can't compete with Georgia and Florida State if they land top 5 classes and we are 20 - 25.
The advantage Taggart has over Mullen is Jimbo's national championship momentum. If you count the two stud transfer WRS Mullen signed in the transition class then Mullen has a better transition class than Taggart.

We are still way too early to start judging the upcoming recruiting class. The current commitments can change depending how the new head coaches do next season.

Mullen has a better track record as a field coach than Taggart so we will see how it plays out next season.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
We can't compete with Georgia and Florida State if they land top 5 classes and we are 20 - 25.
If you were a Nole I would bet you big money UF will not end up with a 20-25 class. Odds of that happening are very low this next class.

Mullen was #14 on the 247 team rankings on the more difficult transition class.

Not uncommon for kids to be pressured to commit early to save a spot then decommit later. The bottom line is on signing day and not now.

Last edited:

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
If you were a Nole I would bet you big money UF will not end up with a 20-25 class. Odds of that happening are very low this next class. Mullen beat that on the more difficult transition class.

Not uncommon for kids to be pressured to commit early to save a spot then decommit later. The bottom line is on signing day and not now.
I would venture to guess 90% of recruits honor their original commitments. Obviously, coaching changes factor heavily into decommitments. Counting on flipping guys on NSD is always a a risky proposition, to say the least.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
I would venture to guess 90% of recruits honor their original commitments. Obviously, coaching changes factor heavily into decommitments. Counting on flipping guys on NSD is always a a risky proposition, to say the least.
I would wager it is worse than 90% of commitments end up with that school.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I would wager it is worse than 90% of commitments end up with that school.
You’d lose. Think about it. You only hear about the top rated guys, but 95% of the kids offered scholarships are 3* rated or less.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
You’d lose. Think about it. You only hear about the top rated guys, but 95% of the kids offered scholarships are 3* rated or less.
Nope. Just on the offered kids who are replaced at the end when something better pops up it changes that % below 90% of those committed now who will sign at the end.

Did UF keep 90% of Mac's committed recruits this time last season? Things happen, teenagers change their mind.

And wide receiver Tyquan Thornton, a four-star prospect out of Booker T. Washington who committed to Florida on July 24, also had a late change of plans.

Corral and Thornton alone took it below 90% and Thornton committed in July and we are in May.

We are not any where near "flip at the end time". We will have a better idea at the end of the summer where we are at but we are way premature now.

Last edited:

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Nope. Just on the offered kids who are replaced at the end when something better pops up it changes that % below 90% of those committed now who will sign at the end.

Did UF keep 90% of Mac's committed recruits this time last season? Things happen, teenagers change their mind.

And wide receiver Tyquan Thornton, a four-star prospect out of Booker T. Washington who committed to Florida on July 24, also had a late change of plans.

Corral and Thornton alone took it below 90% and Thornton committed in July and we are in May.

We are not any where near flip at the end time. We will have a better idea at the end of the summer where we are at but we are way premature now.
I said coaching changes obviously have a huge effect on decommitments. Face it, we’re not doing well on the recruiting front right now. I don’t blame Mullen, as I understand all the reasons why.
That said, if he wants to be here longer than 4 years, he needs to recruit well enough to be able to win the conference. He is NOT a good enough coach to have a huge disadvantage in regards to talent. Hell, I’m not too sure anyone out there is.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
I said coaching changes obviously have a huge effect on decommitments. Face it, we’re not doing well on the recruiting front right now. I don’t blame Mullen, as I understand all the reasons why.
That said, if he wants to be here longer than 4 years, he needs to recruit well enough to be able to win the conference. He is NOT a good enough coach to have a huge disadvantage in regards to talent. Hell, I’m not too sure anyone out there is.
Pull yourself back from the ledge. This class will not be a huge disadvantage.

Head coaches are not the only ones to leave. Recruits get attached to assistant coaches who leave and cause decommitments . Teams lose games. Things happen. UF's next recruiting class will not be at your doomsday prediction.

As you can see from the recent recruit event Mullen is not presuring the recruits which can pay off at the end. This class will start coming together towards the end of summer before the season starts. The current premature team rankings will change as the best players usually wait.

Last edited:

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Pull yourself back from the ledge. This class will not be a huge disadvantage.

Head coaches are not the only ones to leave. Recruits get attached to assistant coaches who leave and cause decommitments . Teams lose games. Things happen. UF's next recruiting class will not be at your doomsday prediction.

As you can see from the recent recruit event Mullen is not presuring the recruits which can pay off at the end. This class will start coming together towards the end of summer before the season starts. The current premature team rankings will change as the best players usually wait.
I’m not on the ledge. I just know our roster is in poor shape and if we continue to recruit worse than our competition, we’re in for some mediocre years ahead.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I wonder if 15 years from now we will be discussing how Mullen was the perfect Transition Coach......

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
I wonder if 15 years from now we will be discussing how Mullen was the perfect Transition Coach......
Mullen is smarter than Zook and has already received an SEC coach of the year award unlike Zook. Zook was an assistant coach. Zook was not a good field coach and easy to fire although he was a premier recruiter for UF. Mullen has shown he can get a lot out of talent and he has more talent at UF than he had at MSU. Plus Mullen has paid his dues as a young SEC head coach.

Mullen's challenge is to get through the next two years before the Football center is completed. The completed UF class Mullen has signed has been above average for a transition class (better than Zook's transition class) So far so good on recruit signing day at UF. The current recruiting class still has plenty of time to go.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen is smarter than Zook and has already received an SEC coach of the year award unlike Zook. Zook was an assistant coach. Zook was not a field coach and easy to fire although he was a premier recruiter for UF. Mullen has shown he can get a lot out of talent and he has more talent at UF than he had at MSU. Plus Mullen has paid his dues as a young SEC head coach.

Mullen's challenge is to get through the next two years before the Football center is completed. The completed UF class Mullen has signed has been above average for a transition class (better than Zook's transition class) So far so good on recruit signing day at UF. The current recruiting class still has plenty of time to go.

Mullen has shown he has gotten a lot out of talent... really? Please show us where at his time at MSU that he consistently beat teams with equal or better talent.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
Mullen has shown he has gotten a lot out of talent... really? Please show us where at his time at MSU that he consistently beat teams with equal or better talent.
He certainly played Bama closer than FSU did last season with a fraction of the FSU talent.

The reason he got SEC coach of the year was because he got a lot out of his lower ranked talent. The coaches know. He has developed 3 star QB recruits into NFL draft picks.

He was coach of one of the smallest schools in the toughest conference in college football. Mullen outperformed the prior coaches at that small SEC school. Mullen paid his dues with lower ranked recruits facing the bigger teams with the best recruits in the nation.He did well coaching the UF on offense before when he had higher ranked talent. We will see how he does now.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
He certainly played Bama closer than FSU did last season with a fraction of the FSU talent.

The reason he got SEC coach of the year was because he got a lot out of his lower ranked talent. The coaches know. He has developed 3 star QB recruits into NFL draft picks.

He was coach of one of the smallest schools in the toughest conference in college football. Mullen outperformed the prior coaches at that small SEC school. Mullen paid his dues with lower rnaked recruits facing the bigger teams with the best recruits in the nation.

So you can't is what you are saying... thank you.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
So you can't is what you are saying... thank you.

Obviously it is hard for MSU to beat Bama who has annual #1in the nation recruiting classea but Mullen played Bama closer than a lot of teams including UF which had more talent than MSU.

He got that small SEC school to its first #1 poll ranking in the school's history by beating a high ranked team that had higher ranked talent.

Being in that SEC division it is very hard to consistently beat all those strong teams even at powerhose LSU let alone tiny MSU.

That is why MSU hated losing Mullen.

Last edited:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Sure I can. He got that small SEC school to its first #1 poll ranking in the school's history by beating a ranked team with higher ranked talent.

So he won a national title? Hell USF was #2 in the nation during a mid season poll... mid season polls don't mean schit after the season. And that answer didn't answer the question either. Where did he consistently beat teams with equal or better talent?

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
So he won a national title? Hell USF was #2 in the nation during a mid season poll... mid season polls don't mean schit after the season. And that answer didn't answer the question either. Where did he consistently beat teams with equal or better talent?

Mullen has 2 BCS national championship rings as an OC. How many coaches can say that? Not many. USF did not get a BCS ring. Plus getting USF to #2 is a good thing as it was for Frost to get to #3.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen is smarter than Zook and has already received an SEC coach of the year award unlike Zook.
Butters was named SEC coach of the year. That proves it’s a joke of an award forever more.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
Consistently beating national champs Bama and AUBURN while at a small school is not used for any head coach job requirement for any school.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator