Mullen on Defensive Woes: We have simply been facing "great" offenses

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
His goose is cooked if he keeps losing to UGA also. I'm just hoping he doesn't get the occasional win, like Richt did (or like Malzahn does vs. Alabama) that appeases the AD's office and lets him stick around longer. If he gets the Defense fixed, brings in another recruiter or two, and he may have a chance. Sooner or later Saban won't be at Alabama and we'll finally have a stand alone....so the excuse machine will run dry.

Here's the issue w/ Mullen: chicken & egg discussion, what comes first? Does he need to fire Grantham first? Does he need to beat UGA? Does the stand alone need to be built? What's the AD's office going to do after the 2021 season when Grantham is still here and Mullen just lost to UGA again? "Oh, now we have the stand alone built so we'll be able to recruit with Georgia now!"

1. Malzahn might actually be the best comparison here. Having some good seasons, while beating some rivals (perfect against UT and FSU for what its worth, which is not what it would be in the 90's), but not beating the big one on the schedule, which nowadays is UGA. Management sees enough to keep him well past what the fans want. Though I'd say let's see the season out before we judge the year (even though most seem to see where it appears to be going at the moment).
  2. The standalone is something I had not considered. The fact this should be finished is something I believe is an additional barrier to letting Mullen go because he is a friend of management, has enough wins in what some consider big games, etc. to already buy another two seasons (unless #3 response happens), much less since the standalone buys him a new excuses many fans and media will buy.
  3. If the defense fails like it has (and has against UGA in the past) and he keeps Grantham into 2021, that's where I think keeping Grantham takes Mullen into the Mac/Nuss territory and may get him removed.

Again, I'm not out here defending this defense or saying Mullen should never be fired, I'm just accepting the way things appear to be for me.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
  1. Malzahn might actually be the best comparison here. Having some good seasons, while beating some rivals (perfect against UT and FSU for what its worth, which is not what it would be in the 90's), but not beating the big one on the schedule, which nowadays is UGA. Management sees enough to keep him well past what the fans want. Though I'd say let's see the season out before we judge the year (even though most seem to see where it appears to be going at the moment).
  2. The standalone is something I had not considered. The fact this should be finished is something I believe is an additional barrier to letting Mullen go because he is a friend of management, has enough wins in what some consider big games, etc. to already buy another two seasons (unless #3 response happens), much less since the standalone buys him a new excuses many fans and media will buy.
  3. If the defense fails like it has (and has against UGA in the past) and he keeps Grantham into 2021, that's where I think keeping Grantham takes Mullen into the Mac/Nuss territory and may get him removed.
Again, I'm not out here defending this defense or saying Mullen should never be fired, I'm just accepting the way things appear to be for me.

If he goes 0-4 vs. UGA he keeps his job, unless we're sub .500 (but I doubt he'd get fired then). But 22 will be a hot seat and he ain't keeping his job going 0-5.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
If he goes 0-4 vs. UGA he keeps his job, unless we're sub .500 (but I doubt he'd get fired then). But 22 will be a hot seat and he ain't keeping his job going 0-5.

100%. I think we are on the same page. Now, if we go sub .500 this season (I think there's a bad chance of that, though it seems a decent part of this board now believe 2-8 is probable, 3-7 if we can get past Vandy), all bets are off about even next year. There is too much talent on this team this year to not compete for the East. Next year is the step back with losing Trask, Grimes, Toney, a good portion of the line, etc. which gives 8-4 a possible excuse. But '22 is probably the do or die year.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
100%. I think we are on the same page. Now, if we go sub .500 this season (I think there's a bad chance of that, though it seems a decent part of this board now believe 2-8 is probable, 3-7 if we can get past Vandy)
No, no, I heard we were going 10-0.

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
We are paying that fat dwag more money in one year than most people make in a lifetime. What the hell has Grantham and his high-profile buddies been doing all this time??? This video is stunning clarity on how terrible coaching can negate talent and torpedo the entire team. If Mullen doesn't jettison this numbnuts he'll be going up in smoke too - I hope he's smarter than that (visions of MacTard dance in my head)

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not doubting there will be loud noise. However, I do remember how much Mullen was played up as the right hire before he was hired and while we were still in the running for Frost and Kelly. There's a reason why there are so many hindsight articles as well, to insulate Mullen.

Do you really think I believe that NY6 means much? Not really. I'm just pointing out that I really believe he will be allowed to Richt for longer than either of the previous two were and they weren't even doing well enough to call it Richting. The media only had the "wait til next year" line to circle the wagons around Mac and Muschamp and that wears thin quickly when your losing to Georgia Southern at home and only scoring 2 against FSU at home. You and I both know there are plenty of people in Gator Nation (we will call them Swam Pgas) who look for excuses to be happy and will defend coaches at all costs. People who defended Mac up until his firing and even after. People who defended Nuss on nothing more than the "wait til next year" schtick. You really think the media and a lot of those people (and even some who were for Mac's head) won't try to stick with Mullen with the additional ammo for defending him?

You also think that I want it that way? Hell no. Though if Stricklin hasn't pulled the trigger on Mike White at this point, I highly doubt he'd pull it on a guy who to this point has been much more successful in their respective sport. I know, the argument is that we care a lot less about basketball. That argument also cuts the other way in that if we don't care as much, why not just dump him.

Don't confuse with my beliefs that Stricklin would surprise me if he fired Mullen within the next three years for anything short of getting caught cornholing a co-ed against their will with desiring that he stay no matter what happens. Though I'll reiterate, IF he were to keep Grantham in spite of demands from Stricklin like happened with Mac/Nuss, that changes the timeline.

I completely agree he needs to fix the defense and should be gone if he doesn't, but I'm not blind in thinking he's currently out the door within a year if he doesn't based on the support and built in excuses he has.

this...

Mullen is not going anywhere in the next 3 years if Stricklin is the AD.
Grantham will be given a pass because of COVID and steal another $1.8 million.
He may get fired after next year if the D is not better, which it won’t be.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Same people who were saying Sharky would be here a decade.

If he doesnt get fired the we are looking at 2026-2028 to get back on track.

Enjoy the Lost Decades.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Christian Robinson gets engaged.

Some of the replies are pretty priceless, as you can imagine.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Just wondering if you morons that threw me shade still think Ole Miss has a great offense?

I'm still there. Yes, they did put heavier numbers against LSU last year and took Bama to the limit this year. A bad six pick performance and this rainy (granted so was Bama) game doesn't change my thoughts. We'll see where they end up.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
I'm still there. Yes, they did put heavier numbers against LSU last year and took Bama to the limit this year. A bad six pick performance and this rainy (granted so was Bama) game doesn't change my thoughts. We'll see where they end up.

Oh yeah.

Our defense is great except for this and that and those and this.

Your definition of great is wonky.

Fat Todd loving mofo

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Oh yeah.

Our defense is great except for this and that and those and this.

Your definition of great is wonky.

Fat Todd loving mofo

Wow, thinking an offense is good means I think our defense isn't bad? That's a leap child. It's not an either/or. That's called a false dichotomy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator