Mullen: Talent isn't UF's issue, it's work ethic and buy-in

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
No, we’re not “celebrating MSU losses”, merely pointing out the lunacy in persisting to put forth the notion Mullen won’t bring a better offense to the Gators than what we’ve had.

But hey, don’t let me interrupt you, itraz & Debbie Downer Donkey tugging each other trying to convince everyone the opposite . :lol:

:popcorn:
I think you're probably right. The offense has to be better. You would almost have to be trying to make it any worse than under Mac and Chump. I do wish Mullen would have brought in some new coaches and a new commitment to the forward pass since that's something we haven't seen in about forever, but you hire an offensive HC, you get his offense for better or worse, so it will be interesting to see what he can do with what should be better talent overall. Of course we have no idea if we have any QB on campus who can actually run his offense, which is a little worrisome.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
No, we’re not “celebrating MSU losses”, merely pointing out the lunacy in persisting to put forth the notion Mullen won’t bring a better offense to the Gators than what we’ve had.
I think he will help us develop a strong OL and a functional running game. It will be better, like 60-80th.

I just chuckle at the people calling him a guru.

No one fears us bc we have Dan Mullinz now. Hell Mullinz would have been Chimp's dream OC.

Last edited:

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think he will help us develop a strong OL and a functional running game. It will be better, like 60-80th.

I just chuckle at the people calling him a guru.

No ome fears us bc we have Dan Mullinz now.

In all seriousness, who, exactly, is calling him a “guru”?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
In all seriousness, who, exactly, is calling him a “guru”?
There was an actual article earlier today.

EDIT: Here ya go " A brilliant offensive football mind (both Spurrier and Meyer) and Sensational Play Caller (Spurrier)"

:lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:

Its still hard to not snort when I read that BS.

http://gatorchatter.com/threads/spu...es-past-national-champions.19012/#post-671449

Im not saying he is terrible. Nusschump was terrible. Had a terrible record and performed as we should have known he would. Mullinz is below average playcaller and OC and wed be crazy to expect him to perform otherwise in the future.

Last edited:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Some state: "That's what I hate about pumpers."...
So you want Mr. Rue Shyts out there leading cheers? Goth-dressed Gator cheerleaders? Albert & Alberta rolled out in iron-barred cages?
Mullen does the largest Gator-Chomp of any HC I've seen ... so cuff him?
There's alchemy at work blending youthful unknown talents -- exuberance is certainly part of the recipe
My hope is that this being Mullen's dream-school will hyper-motivate him to succeed ... with max wins.
Max wins means beating even Bama. My hope is that DM will be the opposite of what the downers judge him to be. He better have Johnson developing a QB whose passes slice up defenses by Gator-O dictates, not waiting/hoping for whatever scraps the D gives us.
If Mullen is MSU redux, then we will struggle real quickly and the "See, I told you so !" will downpour.
Right now is the only time our wishes can soar, so why not without making others sore?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I believe that article was a speculation on what DM might be a blend of....
... Now might is a see-saw with might-not on the other end.
Reminds of the story of the young boy who lived at home with his Mother, Stepfather and Stepsister. He was assigned a school project to discuss the difference between potential vs reality so he asked his Stepdad for help.

His Stepdad tells him he'll give him an exercise to complete. He tells him to go ask his 17 y/o stepsister if she would sleep with Bradley Cooper for a million bucks, so off he goes to ask her and his sister quickly replies "of course I would you idiot, now get out of my room creep". Next he's instructed to ask his Mom if she would sleep with Brad Pitt for a million bucks if there was no way his Stepfather would ever find out. His mom thoughtfully says "you know son, we are in such financial hardship and that kind of money would solve all our problems, as long as I knew your Stepfather could never find out I think I would have to".

So the boy returns to his Stepfather and tells him the results. His stepfather says, "see, there you have it, perfect example. Potentially we are sitting on 2 million bucks here, but in reality we are just living with a couple of whores."

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Reminds of the story of the young boy who lived at home with his Mother, Stepfather and Stepsister. He was assigned a school project to discuss the difference between potential vs reality so he asked his Stepdad for help.

Even though I knew where it was going to end up, I still enjoyed it (again).

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Actually, taggart is 2-15 against ranked teams all time so Dan doesnt actually have the worst percentage. Dont know why the media wont bring that up #fakenews

The Mullen stat is ranked vs. ranked. His total record vs. ranked is a bit better and neither stat is out of phase with other coaches at low-end programs. Franklin at Vandy was exactly tied with him, for example.

SwampChomp

Lifetime Member
Nov 30, 2017
Does anyone know Spurrier’s record vs. ranked teams at SC?

Got my curiosity up.
SOS @ USCe vs. Ranked Team by Year. (NOTE: Stats via Wikipedia)

19 – 28 (number by team denotes team ranking at time game played)
2005: 2 – 1 Wins: UTn (23), UF (12). Losses: UGly (9)
2006: 1 – 5 Wins: Clem (24). Losses: UGly (12), Aub (2), UTn (8), Arky (12), UF (6)
2007: 2 – 3 Wins: UGly (12), UKy (8). Losses: LSU2), UF (17), Clem (21)
2008: 0 – 3 Wins: nada. Losses: UGly (2), LSU (13), UF (3)
2009: 2 – 3 Wins: Ole (4), Clem (15). Losses: UGly (21), Saban (2), UF (1)
2010: 3 – 4 Wins: UGly (22), Saban (1), UF (24). Losses: Aub (17), Arky (17), Aub (2), FSux (23)
2011: 2 – 1 Wins: Clem (18), UNeb (21) Losses: Arky (8)
2012: 3 – 2 Wins: UGly (5), Clem (12), Meatchicken (19) Losses: LSU (9), UF (3)
2013: 3 – 1 Wins: Mizz (5), Clem (6), Wisc (19) Losses: UGly (11)
2014: 1 – 3 Wins: UGly (6) Losses: ATM (21), Aub (5), Clem (21)
2015: 0 – 2 Wins: nada. Losses: UGly (7), LSU (7)
(NOTE: Only coached first 6 games of 2015 season.)

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Got my curiosity up.

2006: 1 – 5 Wins: Clem (24). Losses: UGly (12), Aub (2), UTn (8), Arky (12), UF (6)
2010: 3 – 4 Wins: UGly (22), Saban (1), UF (24). Losses: Aub (17), Arky (17), Aub (2), FSux (23)

Dan's is something like 4-29. Pretty close.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Got my curiosity up.

Thanks for running that down. SC is a better overall program (20,000 higher avg. attendance last year) and the West has been much better than the east (playing #18 Ut annually vs. playing #1 Bama) but it’s still an interesting comparison. SOS is much loved up there for good reason.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks for running that down. SC is a better overall program
Yeah, not really. They are very similar, ie one SECCG appearance and a few other times they were tied or close to winning the division. Both have an instate rival taking a piece of the state's tiny talent pool, but while SOS was at SC they ruled Clempson. Freeze owned recruiting (cheating or not, same could be said of Dabo after all).

Efforts to portray Cowbell as a Kintucky of the west are hilarious. I agree that both the Cawks and Cowbells are third tier SEC schools. I'd consider Kintucky and Vandy as a four tier, the schools with no shot of ever competing.

In the end, SOS vs Mullinz, you are what your record says you are. No sane person should be trying to portray Mullinz as an elite coach, even if you are hoping he may some day be one.

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
Yeah, not really. They are very similar, ie one SECCG appearance and a few other times they were tied or close to winning the division. Both have an instate rival taking a piece of the state's tiny talent pool, but while SOS was at SC they ruled Clempson. Freeze owned recruiting (cheating or not, same could be said of Dabo after all).

Efforts to portray Cowbell as a Kintucky of the west are hilarious. I agree that both the Cawks and Cowbells are third tier SEC schools. I'd consider Kintucky and Vandy as a four tier, the schools with no shot of ever competing.

In the end, SOS vs Mullinz, you are what your record says you are. No sane person should be trying to portray Mullinz as an elite coach, even if you are hoping he may some day be one.
Good points, but people actually like to live in SC. Starkville is a hole.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Good points, but people actually like to live in SC. Starkville is a hole.
Agreed. People actually like Kentucky and Nashville too but it doesnt change the strength of their football program.

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
Agreed. People actually like Kentucky and Nashville too but it doesnt change the strength of their football program.
No, no it doesn't. It should, but it doesn't. Vandy will always be what it is...a small school in a city. It's the Temple of the SEC. Lexington > Starkville any day of the week. And both schools have a ton of cash when compared with MSU (Vandy's endowment is $4.1b, UK's is $1.2b, MSU's is a paltry $470m). I think the difference is UK and Vandy are really basketball schools (well, at least until this year for Vandy), so football season for each has historically been just a way to bridge from "moving in day" to the start of basketball season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.