Muschamp was a bad hire from the start

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Law98gator;n109928 said:
Mehhh, he said the right things. "Multiple offense" that is "balanced" and all that. He was either lying or has no idea what the words meant.... however, he said the right things (and I'm sure he said the right things to Fooley).

He produced a good defense. All he had to do was stay out of the offense. By 2012, it was clear he had no intention of doing that.

BTW I'm still not sold on "HC experience" as being a big factor. There are plenty of OCs Id rather have over some dud HC who's perhaps managed to have a good year here or there.

Listen don't sweat it. Sure you're down 2-0 to me with JB and then WM. But you're still in this thing.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n109934 said:
and other than the bad final season at Texas.
He had a bad final year at Awbarn, too.

88drgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Captain Sasquatch;n109934 said:
The biggest black mark against him when he was hired was the lack of HC experience. Other than that, the pro-style offense was the big trend at that point in time because of what Alabama was doing to everyone with it, he was known as a strict disciplinarian (which we desperately needed), he was an elite DC (which also, at the time, the prevailing trend was hiring defensive-minded coaches), and other than the bad final season at Texas, he had won everywhere he'd been. The fact that he didn't have HC experience made him a risky pick, but other than that, he was always very well thought of as a coach.

But who am I kidding, nobody's going to think rationally about how things were four years ago. Waste of my key strokes.

Were there no other choices? Maybe Foley tried and WM is the best he could find:dunno:

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Drink bleach...I laughed. Heard it! Rerun. I hated the hire. The guy hates the forward pass which is contrary to most Gator fans(yeah I'm late 80's but SOS was my guy). I think he's a horrible coach. The guy at GSU outcoached him in his house. Disgusting.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n109944 said:
Listen don't sweat it. Sure you're down 2-0 to me with JB and then WM. But you're still in this thing.

What are you talking about re: JB? I don't exactly remember you pimping Trey Burton or Jordan Reed. It's not like we had any options. We weren't refusing to play better QBs and watching them transfer away. I feel off the bandwagon when it was obvious he wasn't going to develop. I was on the bandwagon when he was being called a top QB by people like Gary Danielson and others. I wanted to run Daz over with a wagon when he said we should run the option with JB.

Besides, I called our offensive tanking years prior. It was obviously coming when we stopped or were unable to recruit real WRs, RBs, and QBs and got 30-50 lbs undersized at every single position.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I hated the hire from the start...absolutely thought it was the next zook...i was wrong and it was worse. I wish i was wrong and he would have become our Stoops.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
-THE DUDE-;n109978 said:
I hated the hire from the start...absolutely thought it was the next zook...i was wrong and it was worse.
Man is that the truth.

I honestly don't know how a man could be so clueless about offense yet so good at defense.

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Heard on the radio the other day before the USC game that if Florida had South Carolina's offense and Florida's defense you have a national championship caliber team. Sadly Muschamp pissed away all his opportunities

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n109998 said:
Man is that the truth.

I honestly don't know how a man could be so clueless about offense yet so good at defense.

Well, his job was always to stop the offense............

:facepalm:

88drgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Law98gator;n109967 said:
What are you talking about re: JB? I don't exactly remember you pimping Trey Burton or Jordan Reed. It's not like we had any options. We weren't refusing to play better QBs and watching them transfer away. I feel off the bandwagon when it was obvious he wasn't going to develop. I was on the bandwagon when he was being called a top QB by people like Gary Danielson and others. I wanted to run Daz over with a wagon when he said we should run the option with JB.

Besides, I called our offensive tanking years prior. It was obviously coming when we stopped or were unable to recruit real WRs, RBs, and QBs and got 30-50 lbs undersized at every single position.

Confucius say "when Sofla have jock itch, don't help him scratch"

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Muschamp's hire definitely did not cause a lot of enthusiasm among the fan base. It seemed that Gator fans were largely in two camps: one camp being I'll take a wait and see attitude and hope for the best and the second camp being I don't like the hire and it ain't going to work. I think this was largely, not just because of Muschamp's lack of head coaching experience, but was due to his conservative offensive philosophy. Contrast this reaction to when Steve Spurrier was hired and the wild elation when Spurrier stood at the podium of his introductory press conference and told the fans that the Gators would throw the ball around the ballpark and would lead the SEC in passing. This was Muschamp's downfall from the beginning.

KCgator

Superhero
Sep 7, 2014
oxrageous;n109940 said:
I never liked the hire. I wanted an offensive minded guy. We always had good defenses under Spurrier, Zook, and Meyer. I wasn't worried about the defense. The defensive minded guys are a dime a dozen.

:lmao: I'll give you a second to rethink that statement.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n109928 said:
Mehhh, he said the right things. "Multiple offense" that is "balanced" and all that. He was either lying or has no idea what the words meant.... however, he said the right things (and I'm sure he said the right things to Fooley).

BTW I'm still not sold on "HC experience" as being a big factor. There are plenty of OCs Id rather have over some dud HC who's perhaps managed to have a good year here or there.

This.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n109940 said:
I never liked the hire. I wanted an offensive minded guy. We always had good defenses under Spurrier, Zook, and Meyer. I wasn't worried about the defense. The defensive minded guys are a dime a dozen.

These were my exact thoughts

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
KCgator;n110085 said:
:lmao: I'll give you a second to rethink that statement.

Yeah, I let that one go. Ox is has PTSD I think.

Here's two names for you: Zook and Hoke.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Darthgator;n109839 said:
Not sure if I agree with that. It's easy to point to a blanket rule that a college coach of a major program HAS to have HC experience at a smaller school first but there are successful coaches who didn't cut their teeth at a small school first.

I agree. There are plenty of examples of successful first time head coaches at major programs:

Mark Richt
Bob Stoops
Jimbo Fisher
Phil Fulmer
Mark Helfrich
James Franklin

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
BMF;n110101 said:
I agree. There are plenty of examples of successful first time head coaches at major programs:

James Franklin

Vanderbilt is a major program? :headscratch:

biggator6

Oct 2, 2014
G 2;n109889 said:
It just isn't a good idea for a SEC team to hire first time head coaches. It is so competitive that there is very little leeway to make mistakes. Every coach will make mistakes but it usually takes experience to know how to minimize them.

Except for Mullen, Malzahn, richt, stoops.. All first timers.

88drgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
UF is a top 5 gig. Only Stoops is a valid exception. Jimbo was practically the HC within FSU and did not move to an unknown situation. Malzahn was a head coach before AU. Richt, with almost nothing to show, proves the point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator