music man from the past

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
This is a long one. My son must have been born in another era and like the dogs from the new movie came back again, He listens to music from the 50s and 60s, Nothing surprises me. He is 12. He discovered Rupert Holmes recently. He likes stuff from Holmes I never heard of. We were at the Antique store at the Waldo FLea mkt recently and upstairs he found an old LP of Holmes for $2 and we bought it, Well, Kevin is an artist, too. He drew this and his mom found it in his backpack.
16406704_1400359406695648_5281432491243977330_n.jpg

She liked it so much she found an address from Holmes and mailed it to him with a short story about it..............well low and behold she got this reply.........and no, it was not "IF you like Pina Coladas, getting caught in the rain. if your not into Yoga..................
Here is his reply:
Dear Sandy,

Greetings from Rupert Holmes, here in New York.

I'm so very moved and honored that your remarkable son not only enjoys my music but drew such a superb picture of me. Setting aside myself for a moment, it's an incredible job by someone so young! I also thank him for how nice he makes me appear (I especially like having that much hair again ... it's been a while!)

You may not know it, but let me share with you that the younger of my two sons is severely autistic. He is 28, and a wonderful and brave fellow, but we have never had anything resembling a conversation. He is obviously at the opposite end of the spectrum from your marvelous son. I hope you and he have all the communication with each other that I would so love to have with my own boy. My son was born at a time when few knew what autism means, and since that time there have been great strides made. But please know that no singer-songwriter could have more empathy and admiration for your own situation, and I am so truly touched that you shared his wonderful artwork with me. It is definitely something I hope he will pursue.

If there is any way I could do something to show my thanks ... send him a message or speak to him on the phone (not trying to intrude on your private life) ... or simply send him some of my music autographed to him, please do not hesitate to let me know.

I thank you for giving me such a beautiful moment in my day and in my life. I'll treasure his portrait as long as I live.

May much joy and happiness be yours and his in the years to come,

Rupert

PS Please drop me a note to confirm that this reached you successfully. If he has a particular favorite song of mine, do let me know, please.

You never know how you touch somebody. Kevin is also autistic with Aspergers................

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Wonderful story. Goes to show how something small can brighten someone's day.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
This is a long one. My son must have been born in another era and like the dogs from the new movie came back again, He listens to music from the 50s and 60s, Nothing surprises me. He is 12. He discovered Rupert Holmes recently. He likes stuff from Holmes I never heard of. We were at the Antique store at the Waldo FLea mkt recently and upstairs he found an old LP of Holmes for $2 and we bought it, Well, Kevin is an artist, too. He drew this and his mom found it in his backpack.
16406704_1400359406695648_5281432491243977330_n.jpg

She liked it so much she found an address from Holmes and mailed it to him with a short story about it..............well low and behold she got this reply.........and no, it was not "IF you like Pina Coladas, getting caught in the rain. if your not into Yoga..................
Here is his reply:
Dear Sandy,

Greetings from Rupert Holmes, here in New York.

I'm so very moved and honored that your remarkable son not only enjoys my music but drew such a superb picture of me. Setting aside myself for a moment, it's an incredible job by someone so young! I also thank him for how nice he makes me appear (I especially like having that much hair again ... it's been a while!)

You may not know it, but let me share with you that the younger of my two sons is severely autistic. He is 28, and a wonderful and brave fellow, but we have never had anything resembling a conversation. He is obviously at the opposite end of the spectrum from your marvelous son. I hope you and he have all the communication with each other that I would so love to have with my own boy. My son was born at a time when few knew what autism means, and since that time there have been great strides made. But please know that no singer-songwriter could have more empathy and admiration for your own situation, and I am so truly touched that you shared his wonderful artwork with me. It is definitely something I hope he will pursue.

If there is any way I could do something to show my thanks ... send him a message or speak to him on the phone (not trying to intrude on your private life) ... or simply send him some of my music autographed to him, please do not hesitate to let me know.

I thank you for giving me such a beautiful moment in my day and in my life. I'll treasure his portrait as long as I live.

May much joy and happiness be yours and his in the years to come,

Rupert

PS Please drop me a note to confirm that this reached you successfully. If he has a particular favorite song of mine, do let me know, please.

You never know how you touch somebody. Kevin is also autistic with Aspergers................
Wow. Fantastic story.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks for sharing, Coach.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Great story coach.
We just watched Life, Animated last night (an Oscar nominee and 2016 documentary about a boy who went blank at the age of 3 (autism) and a family who learned how to deal with it and communicate with him through Disney movies. Good movie and a great story. Highly recommend it if you have haven't already seen it.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks for sharing this, coach. Your son is truly an inspiration and this is a really great story. Can you also share Rupert Holmes' address? I've wanted to take a swing at the guy ever since the first time I heard "The Pina Colada Song." You know, the song middle aged ladies scream over and dorky white guys can dance to, that sticks like an insideous craw in your brain cavity for weeks. You could help fulfill a 35 year old dream of mine.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks for sharing this, coach. Your son is truly an inspiration and this is a really great story. Can you also share Rupert Holmes' address? I've wanted to take a swing at the guy ever since the first time I heard "The Pina Colada Song." You know, the song middle aged ladies scream over and dorky white guys can dance to, that sticks like an insideous craw in your brain cavity for weeks. You could help fulfill a 35 year old dream of mine.
I agree with everyone here Coach great story. Please include me in Pasty's request. Nothing I like better than seeing a good car wreck or watching two old men beat the schit out of each other.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Jeeebus boys those last two posts had me spitting RC at the screen,................:lmao:

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Rupert sounds like a real great human being. He said he has never had a conversation with his 28 year old son whos is severely autistic. My son is on the opposite end of that spectrum......... Holmes is going to WPB to do a benefit for Juvenile Diabetes soon...............

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator