My Bucs have #1 overall pick

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Obviously this comes between Mariota and Winston.
On one hand you have Winston, plenty of talent but a 2 cent head and would need constant supervision.

On the other you have Mariota, also a lot of talent but some say he won't succeed because he runs in a gimmick system

Please put your hate aside for a few minutes and give me an honest assessment :P

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Damien83;n138237 said:
Chip Kelly is doing well in the NFL with that "gimmick" offense.

I know, I'm just putting what I heard out there. I'm torn between my dislike of Winston as a person and the questions about Mariota. The Bucs have to draft a QB though, I cannot suffer another year of McClown

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Quarterbacks at number 1 overall need to be absolute sure things like Aikman, Manning, Luck... I'm sure there are others. If there are significant doubts, I'd argue against spending a number 1 overall pick on a QB.

For me, Winston is a non-starter. He may have all the physical tools, but he is as dumb as a box of rocks and we all are familiar with his moral/ethical/behavioral issues. He's like an evil Manziel. No way I gamble the number 1 overall pick on him to see him blow his career over an incident at the Mons or a gang rape somewhere. QBs are team leaders and he's not the leader type.

As for Mariota, he seemingly checks all of the boxes on the character/behavior side, and his stats are jaw-dropping - especially his accuracy. And, he has size. However, he has taken almost 100% of his snaps in the gun or pistol and most of the snaps he takes in the NFL will be under center. He will have to learn new footwork, timing (hand-offs, progessions and reads down the field, etc.) and all at NFL speed, not college speed. Most college QBs fail in the NFL and they do not have to make the basic adjustments Mariota will have to make. Is it possible he can learn these things and have a monster career? Sure. But the odds don't favor it. And I doubt Lovie is going to change the offense to Oregon's just for him. I know, the game is changing - but really, how many college spread QBs are burning up the NFL today? RG3? Nope. Kaepernick? Not really. I'd give you Wilson. Bottom line is, there's just too much risk here.

Unless Mariota just blows everyone away with his NFL QB skills at the combine, I'd trade down for a passel of additional picks and bolster both the OL and DL - both huge weak points for the Bucs.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
You think a super conservative, worthless old-school dinosaur like Lovie Smith wants a QB like Mariota? He's probably already drooling over the classic drop-back, strong-armed Winston, because he reminds him of 1960's style quarterbacks when football was played (in his mind) the proper way. He's also arrogant enough to think he can counsel the young man and turn him into a model citizen. Since I don't like the Bucs, I can't wait to see him implode there.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Trade down especially if the draft has quality and depth in positions of need. I don't follow the Bucs so I don't know what they might need.

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
They need O line bad

But even if they get a great O lineman, they'd have Mike Glennon and Josh McCown throwing so it wouldn't make much difference, they have to get a QB

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I just get so tired of NFL retread coaches like Lovie Smith. Do you honestly think you're ever going to win a championship with that walking mediocrity? At least the Bucs were thinking outside the box when they hired Greg Schiano....who had a better record than Lovie, by the way. Great 2-14 season, dude! :rolleyes: They should fire his ass.

In my opinion, the conservative NFL needs fresh ideas, which I why I like coaches like Chip Kelly that actually attempt to do new things.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If the Bucs are dumb enough to take Winston with the #1 pick, they deserve what they get.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Swamp Queen;n138347 said:
If the Bucs are dumb enough to take Winston with the #1 pick, they deserve what they get.

They are.

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Why am I getting so much hate O_O

I live 45 minutes from Tampa, they are my home team. Geez, sorry I said anything.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
As a Tampan, I am seriously hoping they don't go Winston. But I have a bad feeling that's who they will go

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Born2beagator;n138351 said:
Geez, sorry I said anything.
I just hated the Lovie Smith hire. He's awful.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Not a freaking chance Winston is the No. 1 pick. No NFL team is going to stick their nose out on No. 1 overall for a guy with that many off-the-field issues. As for #2-6, that's anyone's guess. I think the Bucs' first move in the offseason should be to ditch the unis.

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
[QUOTE='78;n138356]Not a freaking chance Winston is the No. 1 pick. No NFL team is going to stick their nose out on No. 1 overall for a guy with that many off-the-field issues. As for #2-6, that's anyone's guess. I think the Bucs' first move in the offseason should be to ditch the unis.[/QUOTE]

That's actually the one thing I kinda liked about this season. They grew on me

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.