Founding Member
Here's my take on the offense...

EUdelRs.gif

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We have a coaching problem...Game management and X’s and O’s...usually isn’t easily fixed. Leopards don’t change their spots!
Anyone still holding out hope for this entire staff are probably the same ones that wanted muscrap to get that 4th year...

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yep! Only an idiot would think this is going to end well.
Keep seeing some hanging on the "just need to fire nuss" which is what all the pumpers were saying 4 years ago with muscrap. Nothing worse could happen to our program than keeping him around for a lame duck year.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Keep seeing some hanging on the "just need to fire nuss" which is what all the pumpers were saying 4 years ago with muscrap. Nothing worse could happen to our program than keeping him around for a lame duck year.

In Muschamp's defense, he was man enough to go through 3 different OC's to "find a fit". McElwain has yet to try to break off his first one.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
In Muschamp's defense, he was man enough to go through 3 different OC's to "find a fit". McElwain has yet to try to break off his first one.
Which is another point for getting rid of mac...if he finds this acceptable he isn't a fit at UF or any football program that cares about winning.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Here comes the propaganda! :facepalm: Screenshot_20171011-102424.png I noticed they didn't mention that UCF/USF are ranked and were not :scratchchin:
Btw...Mac will have at least 4 losses in the swamp by the end of the yr...book it!

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
After rewatching the game here's what i noticed.

1) our play calling was atrocious. (i know...surprise...surprise). LSU knew exactly what we were going to do before we did it on almost every play.

2) we're asking franks to be a conservative game manager which makes no sense with his skill set.

3) the routes our receivers run are completely nonsensical given what the defense is giving us. We don't take advantage of mismatches and run right into where the coverage is. This is making Franks look a lot worse than he is.

4) our receivers are also poorly coached and don't execute some of the more complex plays very well.

5) we don't get the play call in fast enough and Nuss/Nord are the 2 guys responsible for doing so.

Bottomline: Nussmeier is a fu*king clown And i was blown away at how often he missed easy adjustments or mismatches Dude is just clueless and he should be canned along with Nord and Dixon after the early signing period!

I'll add two more observations, the first others have pointed out before:

(1) - the pass call rate on first down (non-wildcat) with this offense is way too high and often about 70%. Then, as we've all observed for 3 years, we are running 80% after the inevitable incompletion or 2 yard pass. The other team knows it's coming and we are reliant on 1-2 broken tackles to get more than a yard against the frequent 2d and long run blitzes we face due to these tendencies. The result puts our struggling qbs in a much higher 3rd and long rate than I'm guessing most of our opponents - not saying much with our offensive rankings for the last few years, but one reason muschamp's offenses were just slightly better is we seemed marginally more productive on 1st downs.

On our 2 third quarter successful scoring drives against LSU we ran on first more to get some positive yards. As a result, we only had 1 3rd and long. We didn't get it, but there was a penalty on LSU. Otherwise we avoided 3rd downs except 3rd and goal from the 1 (which was a good play call).

This is a dated chart from NFL.com, but you can see the steep drop by yardage (unless its Spurrier circa 1994).

Conversion rates
When you examine the success rate of converting second and third downs over the past three years, you can see why getting 4-plus yards on first down is the key:
Down/distance Success Pct.
Second-and-1-5 yards 56
Second-and-6-9 yards 27
Second-and-10-plus 17
Third-and-1 67
Third-and-2 52
Third-and-3 49
Third-and-4 47
Third-and-5 42
Third-and-6 41
Third-and-7 37
Third-and-8 32
Third-and-9 32
Third-and-10 or more

(2) - once in our usual third and long, we run play action on an oddly high rate of the passes. First, no defender is biting and even if the linebackers give a half step forward it's not opening enough for the long first down. But, what we sacrifice is 1-1.5 seconds of our qb seeing and reading the defense. Since the line is mediocre at best, that's precious time. No wonder he doesn't go through projections well. Even on the earlier down passes, we keep wasting half or more of his read time with a play fake no defender believes is a possibility.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

That's not exactly true. Weis got the head coaching job at Kansas and left on his own....otherwise he would have been back. But I agree, he at least cut Pease loose and hired Roper (who I still think is a solid OC).

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
We have a coaching problem...Game management and X’s and O’s...usually isn’t easily fixed. Leopards don’t change their spots!

No game management and Xs and Os are easily fixed. Usually though they are fixed by a different staff. As you say, coaches often don't or won't change their spots, but players easily can with better coaching.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
We're statistically worse in a 3 phases of the game than when chump was here...let that sink in for a minute! :suicide:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That's not exactly true. Weis got the head coaching job at Kansas and left on his own....otherwise he would have been back. But I agree, he at least cut Pease loose and hired Roper (who I still think is a solid OC).

Weis was gone regardless...

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Weis was gone regardless...

Muschamp was going to fire him? I don't recall that. Also find it hard to believe an OC about to be fired would get offered a head coaching job. Unless Weis was going to leave on his own, I'm not buying.

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law...i wanted the son of a b*tch fired last yr but we can't fire him right now because the rest of the offensive staff (besides seider) is worse than he is! Who would call the plays? Butters?

Sorry,. have to disagree here...Seidner sucks. He might be a good recruiter but, he is a terrible position coach. We are in year 3 of the same terrible offensive system, yes, year one for Seidner... and, our RB's have Zero clue on pass protection, blitz pickup's, how to release from blocking and become a safety valve for the QB...etc...all our RB's seem to be good at is breaking tackles behind the line of scrimmage due to our terrible OL blocking... We easily have the worst coaching staff in the SEC.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yes, the rumor was that Weiss and MooseDump despised each other. If Weiss had not left MooseDump was going to fire him.

Which is why most coaches even publicly stated at the time going from OC of UF to HC of Kansas was a demotion. And Muschamp during the introducing Pease said it was an improvement.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Kudos to Marianna for watching that mess again. I deleted it from my DVR first thing Saturday evening.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Sorry,. have to disagree here...Seidner sucks. He might be a good recruiter but, he is a terrible position coach. We are in year 3 of the same terrible offensive system, yes, year one for Seidner... and, our RB's have Zero clue on pass protection, blitz pickup's, how to release from blocking and become a safety valve for the QB...etc...all our RB's seem to be good at is breaking tackles behind the line of scrimmage due to our terrible OL blocking... We easily have the worst coaching staff in the SEC.
:lmao2:
Seider is a pos coach...it's not his offensive scheme. The scheme itself is complete ass so it won't matter who's coaching the pos everything you mentioned above will continue to happen until the scheme is scrapped!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator