My Thoughts on Gator Football

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
I suggest all those feeling the urge to leap off a cliff to just go ahead and do it.

I think I'm going to wait more than one game in before I make my mind up about the potential of this team.

Some of us actually fairly realistic. How can anyone defend the performance against UMASS?

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I don't buy the LDR can't go vertical thing. First pass of the game looked good to me IMO, would like to see how far the ball traveled.

If we don't improve drastically vs UK I'll be ready to throw in the towel

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
If we look poor against UK that will tell me all I need to know. Nuss was bad at Michigan and after LSU of last year he has been bad but part of that with Treon. If he continues to look poor with LDR, we are in for a long year
I agree... especially if the weather is nice.

Sep 29, 2015
Some of us actually fairly realistic. How can anyone defend the performance against UMASS?

I'll try. The bread and butter of this team will be running the ball with Scarlett, being spelled by Cronk and maybe Thompson short yardage/4th quarter. Mac knows this; that's exactly how his Bammer offenses played - run run run with some timely throws mixed in.

The geniuses on GCMB apparently didn't know this. We spent all off-season fantasizing about a reprisal of the fun n gun after watching an untested QB look good during the O&B game and somehow envisioned that LDR would light it up with a bunch of freshman/juco wide receivers and Callaway. That was never going to be the 2016 Gators. We just don't have the horses.

So Mac spends the UMass game seeing what he's got in a QB who he's never watched face live bullets, keeping his backs healthy, and getting his freshmen wide receivers some action.

I expect a run heavy offense beating down UK in the trenches that opens up space for LDR, Callaway and crew to operate in. Oh, and a lot more tight end involvement than we saw against UMass.

I think we will be fine, though my confidence in that belief is on shaky ground after yesterday.

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If we look poor against UK that will tell me all I need to know. Nuss was bad at Michigan and after LSU of last year he has been bad but part of that with Treon. If he continues to look poor with LDR, we are in for a long year
This is the key. We should see significant and clear improvement this week. Obviously UK is better than UMass but it's still freaking Kentucky.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don't buy the LDR can't go vertical thing. First pass of the game looked good to me IMO, would like to see how far the ball traveled.

If we don't improve drastically vs UK I'll be ready to throw in the towel
You threw the towel in at halftime.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I apparently didn't see the same game as the doom Sayers... If you want to see what we looked like over the last 5 years, I'd tell you to re-watch the USCe-Vandy game... USCe was UF redux from start to finish, including "winning" but wanting to vomit. Saying "give 'em a few weeks" seems legit this year for us whereas it was a false hope for the last half decade.

Dude, we scored only TWO touchdowns vs. UMass. TWO touchdowns!! That's it! Vandy and SC have better defenses than UMass. We likely would have seen a 13-10 score (just like the Vandy/USC game) had we played either team....and that's the score. Who knows which team would have 13 and which would have 10. This offense will allow mediocre teams to hang around. Hell, this offense makes US a mediocre team!

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Nuss had the 112th ranked offense at Michigan. Worse than Chumps.

We finished last year at 111th. We scored 24 points on a D-IAA team in this year's opener.

FIRE NUSS - he sucks. He's gonna get Mac fired if he stays. Mac is going to have to fire is buddy or they can both go.

You are kind of cherry picking - Nuss also had multiple 3,000 yard 30+ TD QBs at 2 different schools where he was the OC.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think T's into the white sauce again.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Remind me again, how was the offense doing with Grier?

Last game vs. Missouri? Less yards than Saturday night....and less points. What's your point? It's 15 games in and it still stinks.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Last game vs. Missouri? Less yards than Saturday night....and less points. What's your point? It's 15 games in and it still stinks.

I know there was a talent level difference in the opponent but that Missouri game is the game that reminded me of this UMass game. The offense didn't look great at all in that Missouri game and the passes were mostly short stuff also just like in this past game.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
"The point is" the jury is still out this year. New personnel and new perspective. Now, if we dog it again against KY, then I'd be more inclined to draw comparisons. Until then, it's too damn soon to leap off the cliff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.