My Thoughts on Gator Football

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
These are opinionated observations but it's currently how I feel after watching our last game and watching a few other teams this weekend.

1. Up the tempo just a bit. We looked good when we sped up the pace. It throws off opposing defenses and starts to wear down a team over a drive. Look at Texas; the uptempo offense kept Notre Dame off-balance. Hell, even we looked better in the 2-minute drill with Grier last year than we did when we slowed the pace. I'm not saying run an oregon frenzy, no huddle offense but how about get to the line and get a call in and snap the ball before it gets below 18 seconds.

2. Feed Scarlett. Enough of this Thompson bull****. The guy is exactly what I thought he would be; stone-handed JUCO player. Of Scarlett's 78 yrds; 50 or so came after 1st contact. Cronk should be the next back to spell Scarlett and to change the pace a little as he hits the holes quickly.

3. Go Vertical!!!!!! Aside from not running the ball enough, we let Del Rio throw five yard routes to the sidelines. The guy has a noodle-arm and can't make cross field throws but he might be able to at least get it downfield. Which leads me to another point; attack the ****ing middle of the field. It was wide open all night.

4. Tell Ivey and Johnson to get it together or bench them. They played horrendous; however, I was impressed with Jawaan Taylor with Scarlett being able to move the ball running behind him.

5. Look at other options at the end of the year for other positions. Summers, Nuss, Nord, Collins are all below average in terms of recruiting and about average in coaching. Example being Williamson getting a bunch of snaps when he obviously belongs in D1-AA football.

6. Play the freshman on defense. Gardner and other guys need to get more PT rather than playing rejects like Nick Washington and Harris. Also, if retread continues to not be able to make 15+ yard throws, throw in Franks or Trask and build for the future. We aren't winning a Natty anyways....

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
LDR doesn't have the arm to go vertical. He's a dink and dunker. UMass is a garbage team. Well coached but garbage. If Whipple had any talent he would've beaten Mac like a drum.

It's too early to scream Fire Mac but it ain't looking good. 24 points against UMass? Inexcusable. This is his second year. He could barely beat a cupcake. We should've dominated every aspect of the game especially the scoreboard.

Reminded me of last year.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
LDR doesn't have the arm to go vertical. He's a dink and dunker. UMass is a garbage team. Well coached but garbage. If Whipple had any talent he would've beaten Mac like a drum.

It's too early to scream Fire Mac but it ain't looking good. 24 points against UMass? Inexcusable. This is his second year. He could barely beat a cupcake. We should've dominated every aspect of the game especially the scoreboard.

Reminded me of last year.

When I say vertical I mean 15-20 yard passes in the middle of the field that is wide open most every game. 24 points against UMASS is laughable but I know a couple of things for sure. Del Rio isn't the answer and I'd rather take lumps early but play younger guys

Circle City Gator

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I thought Thompson looked very slow to hit the hole. He might have decent final speed, but he didn't seem to have that explosive first couple of steps. At least, that's what it looked like to me.

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
I think chferg is right on. I am a not X's and O's guy but I know what I like and don't like. Other than our new kicker, I didn't see much to like about Saturday night and it is sad when the the field goal kicker is the star of a game such as that. I have been on Mac's bandwagon since day one and am not ready to throw him under the bus yet, but he needs to show me something to like vs.Ky.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I think chferg is right on. I am a not X's and O's guy but I know what I like and don't like. Other than our new kicker, I didn't see much to like about Saturday night and it is sad when the the field goal kicker is the star of a game such as that. I have been on Mac's bandwagon since day one and am not ready to throw him under the bus yet, but he needs to show me something to like vs.Ky.

We've beaten KY how many years in a row? Tenn should tell us something even though we've beaten them 11 in a row. The schedule is easy. UGA looks to be the team to beat. They played a quality opponent and Eason is a freaking stud. LDR is like that journeyman NFL guy that played on 7 teams. He's not gonna win many games on his own.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
KY while having a weak front seven should tell us a lot more about this offense.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I apparently didn't see the same game as the doom Sayers... If you want to see what we looked like over the last 5 years, I'd tell you to re-watch the USCe-Vandy game... USCe was UF redux from start to finish, including "winning" but wanting to vomit. Saying "give 'em a few weeks" seems legit this year for us whereas it was a false hope for the last half decade.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
I apparently didn't see the same game as the doom Sayers... If you want to see what we looked like over the last 5 years, I'd tell you to re-watch the USCe-Vandy game... USCe was UF redux from start to finish, including "winning" but wanting to vomit. Saying "give 'em a few weeks" seems legit this year for us whereas it was a false hope for the last half decade.

It was 10-7 going into the fourth quarter against UMASS.....

10-7....

That was enough to make me want to turn the TV off

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
It was 10-7 going into the fourth quarter against UMASS.....

10-7....

That was enough to make me want to turn the TV off

I still hold out a little hope but we have looked like straight crap for about our last 8 games on offense. I think LSU was the last game we did anything at all on offense. I am still holding out some hope it was more on Harris than our overall personnel and other teams figuring out our offense under Nuss.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
I still hold out a little hope but we have looked like straight crap for about our last 8 games on offense. I think LSU was the last game we did anything at all on offense. I am still holding out some hope it was more on Harris than our overall personnel and other teams figuring out our offense under Nuss.

If we look poor against UK that will tell me all I need to know. Nuss was bad at Michigan and after LSU of last year he has been bad but part of that with Treon. If he continues to look poor with LDR, we are in for a long year

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Nuss had the 112th ranked offense at Michigan. Worse than Chumps.

We finished last year at 111th. We scored 24 points on a D-IAA team in this year's opener.

FIRE NUSS - he sucks. He's gonna get Mac fired if he stays. Mac is going to have to fire is buddy or they can both go.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I suggest all those feeling the urge to leap off a cliff to just go ahead and do it.

I think I'm going to wait more than one game in before I make my mind up about the potential of this team.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.