Name Something you didnt understand adults liking when you were a kid, but you understand now

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
I went to see Dad yesterday afternoon. When I got there he was sitting in his newly acquired electric wheelchair putting up his clean laundry, inside of his closet. I said, "Wouldn't that be easier to do if you were standing up?" to which he said, "Yeah, it probably would." He only got out of it maybe 30 minutes later to go use the restroom... I think that thing is going to be the death of him because now that he has it I don't think he will be doing anything to get some exercise... smh...

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
I went to see Dad yesterday afternoon. When I got there he was sitting in his newly acquired electric wheelchair putting up his clean laundry, inside of his closet. I said, "Wouldn't that be easier to do if you were standing up?" to which he said, "Yeah, it probably would." He only got out of it maybe 30 minutes later to go use the restroom... I think that thing is going to be the death of him because now that he has it I don't think he will be doing anything to get some exercise... smh...
Good point.

Sort of like AI - it's a useful tool but I'm concerned that it will be a crutch for teenagers and they won't be able to formulate a sentence without having Chat GPT write a paragraph for them.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Good point.

Sort of like AI - it's a useful tool but I'm concerned that it will be a crutch for teenagers and they won't be able to formulate a sentence without having Chat GPT write a paragraph for them.
Which means that "progress" is sometimes really more of a regression...

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Don't get me wrong.
I'm not willing to give up my iPhone, coffee maker, stove, microwave, refrigerator, lawn mower, Seedy(I break it, he fixes it) etc.
Sure, but I bet you can still write in cursive and make complete, grammatically correct sentences, dial a rotary phone, and drive a stick shift vehicle... AmIright?

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015

Same for calculators and 'figure it in your head'. I'll be honest, helping my youngest with Algrebra this week, and I've had moments where I can't do the MDAS basics in my head...sometimes. Don't use it, it gets forgotten. One hopes the brain picks up newer skills to offset the loss, but idunno.

Sure, but I bet you can still write in cursive and make complete, grammatically correct sentences, dial a rotary phone, and drive a stick shift vehicle... AmIright?

Aye, and that gets us exactly what these days?

Last edited:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Back to the original discussion, when my parents would be at dinner with other couples, I would always sit there in amazement at the battle that would ensue over who would pay the check. My thought process at the time was always , “what are you crazy, why would you argue and not just let them pay?”
Whenever friends offer these days I just say "okay". I don't even fight. They know it by now but can't get out of the habit of offering. The conversation goes like this:
Them: "I'll get it".
Me: "okay".
Them "Damn it".

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Whenever friends offer these days I just say "okay". I don't even fight. They know it by now but can't get out of the habit of offering. The conversation goes like this:
Them: "I'll get it".
Me: "okay".
Them "Damn it".

The wife the whole ride home:

“We talked about this, Greg!”

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
I just sometimes go with a name when I write these things. Greg sounded like a guy taking heat from his wife on the ride home. Sometimes it’s “fat Pam”. I’m sorry, I have no other explanation for how my brain works. Oh, yeah, the booze too. :lol:
Sure Jan GIF

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator