NBC Prime Time Boxing... Thoughts?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n188901 said:
Boxing died with the rise of MMA. No one cares anymore.
This

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n189173 said:
Actually, I no longer watch much MMA, either. I refuse to pay $60 every few weeks on top of what I already pay monthly for satellite. If they value their product that much, then they're doing a fantastic job of keeping it to themselves. Used to be a huge fan of both boxing and MMA, but they got too greedy. I think I'm in the majority on this opinion.

Both UFC and Boxing did a poor job with PPVs. I was purchasing both as well, until the quality went down for both. What UFC has done better than Boxing the last decade was their cable and network affiliations. This is where boxing needs to get back in the game, can't keep expecting just your core fans to purchase through either Showtime or HBO. The number of viewers for each UFC/Boxing have been roughly stagnant the last few years, after UFC made a big job 5 years ago. Then PPV's priced people out, Dana White even admitted as much trying to make the PPVs similar to WWF and once a month. Admitted recently that the quality went way down and so did the American fans. That is the reason White/UFC moved to network tv, and why Al Haymon has started bring quality fighters to Network TV again. UFC network TV events have been hit and miss, but last two have received better viewership and quality. This is the first major boxing event on network tv since Tyson in the early/mid 90s. So the results of what it will become is still yet to be seen.

I think we all agree the PPVs for both sports have driven viewership down, but neither sport is lacking for viewers. The death of boxing isn't dead in the US, the death of the Heavyweight division is. Even if T the Hater believes it is true. The number of views (US viewers) and the money going into the major PPV are increasing.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n189079 said:
That and the Russians taking over the heavyweight division.

MMA got some crossover fans but I think a big chunk of that crowd used to watch wrestling a lot.

If you look at total PPV viewers, WWF beats both UFC and Boxing. Their numbers are insane for something that the outcome is predetermined.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n189280 said:
If you look at total PPV viewers, WWF beats both UFC and Boxing. Their numbers are insane for something that the outcome is predetermined.

When did the World Wildlife Foundation start having PPV's??? I would love to know when the next one is so I can watch two pandas fight each other. :lol:

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
TheDouglas78;n189279 said:
I think we all agree the PPVs for both sports have driven viewership down, but neither sport is lacking for viewers.
?
Isn't the goal to get as many viewers as possible? If you would have said neither sport is lacking for money I could agree. But they absolutely are lacking for viewers. Especially boxing.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n189356 said:
When did the World Wildlife Foundation start having PPV's??? I would love to know when the next one is so I can watch two pandas fight each other. :lol:

Apologize, Every now and then I forget they are now called the WWE. And lets be honest, I've been to Thailand, two pandas fighting each other is awesome.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorTAG;n189366 said:
?
Isn't the goal to get as many viewers as possible? If you would have said neither sport is lacking for money I could agree. But they absolutely are lacking for viewers. Especially boxing.

TAG, they are not getting the viewers they were getting on network TV, but both are doing well. Both could be doing better, they aren't lacking for viewers, but they are definitely not capitalizing on gaining more viewers. Which is why UFC and Fox is a good deal, and hopefully with good production value the Prime Time Fights will be a good deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator