NBC Prime Time Boxing... Thoughts?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The broadcast needed some work entering rounds 10 to 20 seconds in after commercials on the first fight. The first fight was boring and predictable between the two fighters. The second fight was more entertaining... What were people's thoughts on Boxing moving back onto Network TV?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I once watched "Gentleman" Jim Corbett fight an Eskimo fellow, bare knuckled, for 113 rounds. Back then of course if any fight lasted less than 50 rounds, we demanded our nickel back!

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Boxing died with the rise of MMA. No one cares anymore.

Jax Gator

Founding Member
Swamp Thing
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Only if Rocky Balboa makes another comeback...

Jabberdave

Founding Member
Your mom is very pretty.
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe bringing boxing back to prime time will salvage the sport. There was a time when it was a very healthy sport at several different weight classes. I enjoyed it then other than when I ordered a PPV and Tyson would be in the ring for all of two minutes. Only thirty seconds of that time was actually fighting.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n188901 said:

MMA and Boxing are both healthy all over the world, and Boxing has dropped off in the US. Neither one is dead.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Jabberdave;n188911 said:
Maybe bringing boxing back to prime time will salvage the sport. There was a time when it was a very healthy sport at several different weight classes. I enjoyed it then other than when I ordered a PPV and Tyson would be in the ring for all of two minutes. Only thirty seconds of that time was actually fighting.

PPV has damaged both UFC and Boxing. UFC has started to limit their PPV output, and Boxing should do the same. Only a select few fights deserve PPV.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n188915 said:
MMA and Boxing are both healthy all over the world, and Boxing has dropped off in the US. Neither one is dead.

It only matters if it is doing well in the U.S of A. 'Merica!

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n188917 said:
It only matters if it is doing well in the U.S of A. 'Merica!

That is why the Prime Time broadcasts on network tv need to be successful. There is a lot of money and quality fighters are being invested into it.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I was a boxing fan way back….. but remember, we had TV attention for the Olympic Trials and Olympic boxing. The
national audience saw our gold-medal amateurs, fell in "fanship" with them and followed their Pro fights on TV.
Beer Corps promoted boxing TV, usually on Saturday afternoon when college sports had off seasons.

Now promoters only want PPV fights. The "in person" seats tickets have skyrocketed and the PPV price makes it
too illogical to watch. I follow some replays (x-# of months after the event) even though I know the outcome.
I especially like Triple-G, Gennady Golovkin, a Kosak now living in California.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
TheDouglas78;n188916 said:
PPV has damaged both UFC and Boxing. UFC has started to limit their PPV output, and Boxing should do the same. Only a select few fights deserve PPV.
I agree. I remember boxing in it's hey day when you could watch fights like Ali v. Frasier, Sugar Ray v. Duran, Sugar Ray v. Hagler or Hearns. Then everything went PPV and they can't figure out why nobody cares about it any more.

NBC bringing boxing back is nice, but it's a bunch of guys you've never heard of. When they televise Mayweather v. Pacquioa let me know.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorTAG;n189020 said:
I agree. I remember boxing in it's hey day when you could watch fights like Ali v. Frasier, Sugar Ray v. Duran, Sugar Ray v. Hagler or Hearns. Then everything went PPV and they can't figure out why nobody cares about it any more.

NBC bringing boxing back is nice, but it's a bunch of guys you've never heard of. When they televise Mayweather v. Pacquioa let me know.

I had seen all the fighters before except for Molina. Thurman is the one I wanted to watch, he is a good welterweight from Clearwater, FL who has good speed and power. But the average sports fan didn't know a single guy, and it was poorly advertised.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
TheDouglas78;n189023 said:
I had seen all the fighters before except for Molina. Thurman is the one I wanted to watch, he is a good welterweight from Clearwater, FL who has good speed and power. But the average sports fan didn't know a single guy, and it was poorly advertised.
Do American boxers even compete in the heavyweight division any more?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorTAG;n189031 said:
Do American boxers even compete in the heavyweight division any more?

Yes, unfortunately there have been a number of really bad ones. Deontay Wilder (33-0 32 KO) is the next American Heavyweight that is going to challenge for the title from the Klitschko.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n188915 said:

Dropped off the planet in the US. No one cares anymore. They priced the average boxing fan out of watching. Anyone that pays to see Pacquio and Mayweather fight 10 years too late is a moron.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n189042 said:
They priced the average boxing fan out of watching.

^^This! The pay-per-view pricing is absurd for something that could literally last one round or less. At least if you pay for a football game you know it'll last about 3 hours.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n189042 said:
Dropped off the planet in the US. No one cares anymore. They priced the average boxing fan out of watching. Anyone that pays to see Pacquio and Mayweather fight 10 years too late is a moron.

You realize that 10 years ago, was before Mayweather fought De La Hoya and barely anyone knew who he was. I have a question for you, do you watch MMA or do you watch UFC. UFC is only one promotional company and would be akin to watching only one promoters Boxers in Boxing. The two are vastly different.

The move to the premium channels instead of network TV has hurt Boxing, there is no question. That is also one area in which UFC has done great business with it's partnerships with Spike and Fox. But to assume the view ship has fallen off in America is not accurate either. If you did a break down of events you might be surprised by the number of Americans still watching boxing. HBO had 10 events that were over a million viewers when the event initially aired from Jan 1st 2014 - Oct 22, 2014(according to Dan Rafeal ESPN).

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n188901 said:

That and the Russians taking over the heavyweight division.

MMA got some crossover fans but I think a big chunk of that crowd used to watch wrestling a lot.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n189062 said:
You realize that 10 years ago, was before Mayweather fought De La Hoya and barely anyone knew who he was. I have a question for you, do you watch MMA or do you watch UFC. UFC is only one promotional company and would be akin to watching only one promoters Boxers in Boxing. The two are vastly different.

The move to the premium channels instead of network TV has hurt Boxing, there is no question. That is also one area in which UFC has done great business with it's partnerships with Spike and Fox. But to assume the view ship has fallen off in America is not accurate either. If you did a break down of events you might be surprised by the number of Americans still watching boxing. HBO had 10 events that were over a million viewers when the event initially aired from Jan 1st 2014 - Oct 22, 2014(according to Dan Rafeal ESPN).

Actually, I no longer watch much MMA, either. I refuse to pay $60 every few weeks on top of what I already pay monthly for satellite. If they value their product that much, then they're doing a fantastic job of keeping it to themselves. Used to be a huge fan of both boxing and MMA, but they got too greedy. I think I'm in the majority on this opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator