Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
images

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This is less about Big10 vs SEC, and more about level playing field. Teams like Alabama, Florida, Michigan, USC, Texas etc can afford to do this practice 75-80% athletic departments cannot afford to do this.

It is easier to get a recruit to Michigan by saying once a year you get a free vacation in Florida than say Rutgers where the team can't afford to do something like that.

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Good... What business does Michigan have coming down to Florida ? None

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
The only power 5 conference for these satellite camps was the tiny10. All the other power 5 conferences were in agreement about this issue and voted to shut down these camps. According to ESPN's Mitch Sherman,

"The SEC, ACC, Pac-12 and Big 12 conferences all voted to end satellite camps."

"The vote to prohibit satellite camps was passed by a 10-5 margin. Each Power 5 conference vote counts as two votes, while each Group of 5 conference vote counts for one vote for a maximum of 15 votes."

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
So ... this is satellite camps' orbituary ?

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Screw Harblough! His azz has got a beatdown coming 9/2/17 at Jerry's World.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Should call it the Harbaugh Rule!

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Screw Harblough! His azz has got a beatdown coming 9/2/17 at Jerry's World.

I'm one of the sunshine pumpers around here and even I would say that talk is a bit premature. Hope you're right though! I hope Reese is out for blood in that game.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This kind of half-a$$ reporting is why I avoid NBC. Apparently they suffer from SEC envy.
They still have their heads buried up ND's azz up to their shoulders.

Last edited:

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The only power 5 conference for these satellite camps was the tiny10. All the other power 5 conferences were in agreement about this issue and voted to shut down these camps. According to ESPN's Mitch Sherman,

"The SEC, ACC, Pac-12 and Big 12 conferences all voted to end satellite camps."

"The vote to prohibit satellite camps was passed by a 10-5 margin. Each Power 5 conference vote counts as two votes, while each Group of 5 conference vote counts for one vote for a maximum of 15 votes."
So 3 group of 5 conferences voted for the camps? Throws out the Rutgers can't afford it argument.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So 3 group of 5 conferences voted for the camps? Throws out the Rutgers can't afford it argument.

Yes because the non revenue teams are the ones that move the needle within their conference. The Big12 does what Texas and Oklahoma says... its all politics.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I wonder if this is the correct decision. Is this an over reaction to Harbaugh's finding a loophole in the rules? It's not the satellite camps that were a problem, it's moving a Spring practice during Spring Break that was the issue. This fixes the latter, but it also ends a great way for kids to attend camps that were great for college athletics. I think they could of fixed the Harbaugh situation without ending the camps. Am I missing something here?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I wonder if this is the correct decision. Is this an over reaction to Harbaugh's finding a loophole in the rules? It's not the satellite camps that were a problem, it's moving a Spring practice during Spring Break that was the issue. This fixes the latter, but it also ends a great way for kids to attend camps that were great for college athletics. I think they could of fixed the Harbaugh situation without ending the camps. Am I missing something here?

Quality post. I agree somewhat. By getting rid of it, some kids are not going to get the exposure that they would otherwise get. Florida is a hotbed of talent for the country and a lot of these kids don't end up in the power five conferences.

I would say don't get rid of it, just limit it. Limit where it can take place. For instance not at high schools. Do something like limiting satellite camps to three times a year.

As far as practices are concerned (like Michigan trying to hold a practice at IMG ), make it so that all practices can only take place on campus or the campus designated location and put a distance parameter on it. Simple enough.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
This isn't about Harbaugh, despite the SECvsHarbaugh media noise. This has been an issue while he was still in the NFL.

per David Shaw of Stanford:

“I have no opinion,” Shaw said. “It’s never affected us. People do them, and people don’t do them. We’ve got great attendance at the camps we have here — we get a lot of guys we want to come….But I didn’t like the way that a lot of people have put this as the SEC against Jim Harbaugh. That’s not what this has been about. Conference by conference, this has been going on for three plus years, since Jim was with the 49ers. This has been a battle. As a conference, we had a long discussion three years ago about what we were going to do about satellite camps….I’m great with whatever college football says, because it doesn’t affect us. It doesn’t make sense for us to go hold a camp some place where there might be one person in the entire state that’s eligible to get into Stanford.”

Yeah, that last bit is being spun as a dig at players in those locations not being smart enough to get into Stanford, but they can get into other schools. Don't know if it was a dig, or a fact, but some media are trying to spin it as such.

And I'll bet your bottom dollar Saban would love to be holding camps outside of Tuscaloosa.

EyeDocGator

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Member
Oct 26, 2015
By getting rid of it, some kids are not going to get the exposure that they would otherwise get. Florida is a hotbed of talent for the country and a lot of these kids don't end up in the power five conferences.

There's no rule against coaches coming to Florida and speaking with recruits. How does a team's practicing in Florida help second tier recruits get more exposure? Top tier recruits are already in demand, and UM and Ohio State are not interested in second tier recruits. If schools do not have the resources to send coaches south to recruit, then they certainly don't have the resources to have a satellite practice. Please explain how anyone is hurt by this rule.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.