Never Forget

Musclepug

never go full retard
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2018
Barstool Sports (@barstoolsports) tweeted at 9:26 PM on Wed, Sep 11, 2019:
Very cool move by @Pete_Alonso20 to order cleats in memoriam of 9/11 for the entire Mets roster to wear tonight SNY on Twitter
()

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
NPR ran a program today on a gay paki bitching about being persecuted by Americans because of 911. Wonder why after 11 years he hasn’t moved back with his husband to Pakistan?

Treebeard

Oops, just stepped on a Lorax.
Lifetime Member
Dec 23, 2015
Israel is the only country in the Middle East with a memorial for those who died in the 9/11 terror attacks.

70554613_2373614902675775_7530570579045253120_n.jpg

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
I managed a training center in Manhattan for a tech company where I would commute from Florida. We were at 4 WTC right across the street (our windows faced the towers). I used to stay at that WTC Marriott (Tall Ships lounge was a great hang out).
I had left the center on Friday 9/7 to go out to Anaheim for a conference and got stuck out there for the week. They closed Disneyland and we just hung out in the convention hall watching CNN and trying to absorbed what had happened. When the towers went down, all of our windows got blown in and the debris and dust destroyed most everything. I had to move everything over to the Wall street area later in the year.
Visiting later that year - the smell and the huge hole in the ground was mind blowing given what was standing on that ground only a few months earlier.

If you haven't been lately to see the memorial area, it is incredible how they have commemorated those who died and those who tried to help.
If I'm not mistaken, the area where the two towers stood are reflecting ponds where all the names are posted on the sides. Very moving and emotional space.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
The majority of the country forgot long ago. About 12 years ago to be exact. :mad:

I don't believe this is accurate.

Any successful grieving process ultimately ends with acceptance. We as a country went thru the stages of grief including acceptance. Don't mistake that as forgetting. And this thread is an example of some who didn't. All the remembrances that I'm seeing around the country are people who have not forgotten. Morning news programs carrying coverage are people who haven't forgotten.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I managed a training center in Manhattan for a tech company where I would commute from Florida. We were at 4 WTC right across the street (our windows faced the towers). I used to stay at that WTC Marriott (Tall Ships lounge was a great hang out).
I had left the center on Friday 9/7 to go out to Anaheim for a conference and got stuck out there for the week. They closed Disneyland and we just hung out in the convention hall watching CNN and trying to absorbed what had happened. When the towers went down, all of our windows got blown in and the debris and dust destroyed most everything. I had to move everything over to the Wall street area later in the year.
Visiting later that year - the smell and the huge hole in the ground was mind blowing given what was standing on that ground only a few months earlier.

If you haven't been lately to see the memorial area, it is incredible how they have commemorated those who died and those who tried to help.
If I'm not mistaken, the area where the two towers stood are reflecting ponds where all the names are posted on the sides. Very moving and emotional space.

Wow. I missed this post last year. I have some friends a few blocks away that had that "dust face" that became commonly associated with that day, but no one that was so close. Incredible.

My increased time in the city basically started about a year after, and that first flight in at night, seeing the hole all lit up with construction, as you say, was really tough to see. I consider that stretch coming from the south into LGA/JFK and the tip of the island just appearing out of nowhere to be on par with the Grand Canyon or the when the Rockies first appear from the air. Took some time getting used to that new image without the towers.

Poman

Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2016
Made it to the memorial last year. It's pretty surreal, maybe more so at night. Certainly a hushed atmosphere.

Attachments

• 911 Memorial.jpg
    911 Memorial.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 52

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Sent this to my team today. Many were too young to understand what happened 19 years ago.

Nineteen years ago today, I had just showered and was dressing in my bedroom when a news report came on about a plane hitting the World Trade Center. The reports were all over the place, and it was initially reported to be a small plane - like a Cessna or maybe a private jet. But after a few minutes it was starting to become clear that this wasn't just an accident…and then the 2nd plane hit.

It's amazing that I have some crystal clear memories from the following few days; images and "snapshots" that are as clear today as then, but I have a lot of "fuzziness" in my memories as well. Days are kind of blurred. It's easy to say that September 11, 2001 is one of the worst days of my life.

But one of the things that I remember with clarity, and with pride, was how our nation united as one in grief, in mourning, in resolution. Black, white, brown, male, female, gay, straight, rich, poor…it didn't matter. We were united as one people, and in retrospect some of the days following 9/11 are some of the best days of my life. We, as a country (however fleeting), were able to tear apart and expose the pettiness of our conflicts and literally be arm in arm together, holding each other, helping each other, appreciating each other as fellow Americans. I saw what was possible - what could be.

In a time of significant unrest, pain, and anger in our country today - it is my hope that those of you old enough to remember 9/11 as I do can take a minute to remember what was, and for those of you who were maybe too young to absorb it all - know that there were a few days in mid-September of 2001 that proved what could be.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
It is truly one of those things you never forget.
I was laid off from my regular job with P.C.S. and was working as a Boilermaker in Cottonton Al. , I remember A guy from Tampa came in where we were working and told us, work stopped and everyone went to their radio.
Truly a sad ,sad day, hell no we want forget.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don't believe this is accurate.

Any successful grieving process ultimately ends with acceptance. We as a country went thru the stages of grief including acceptance. Don't mistake that as forgetting. And this thread is an example of some who didn't. All the remembrances that I'm seeing around the country are people who have not forgotten. Morning news programs carrying coverage are people who haven't forgotten.
I just checked cnn, no mention of 9/11, at all on webpage or the air.

Fox has been running most of the day it seems.

On party has elected a member of Congress who supports Al Shabab, in court, and another who supports Hamas and says the Holocaust makes her proud.

Yes, we have forgotten. Or at least 45% (one party) has.

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
I was coming home from a midnight shift at the hospital when they were discussing the tower that was struck by a plane, then the announcers erupted we are under attack when the second plane hit on live TV. Will never forget that moment, very surreal. It seems so impossible that we were ever so united as we were in the immediate aftermath. Hopefully we can get back to that unity without needing a catastrophe to get there.

GBHOR

Its Not Awful
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
I was on recruiting duty at the time (U.S. Army), sitting with a potential recruit in my vehicle on our way to processing station. I received a call to turn around and return to the station. Arrived back at station in time to see the second plane hit on live television with my recruit, and recruiters from my branch and all the other branches huddled around a TV in our offices. My recruit then asked me "how long will the MEPS (MILITARY ENTRANCE PROCESSING STATION) be closed because I can't wait to get in now."
I was a recruiter for another 3 years and experienced the most touching and humbling thing in my life. The parents of Soldiers who enlisted from our station came in to inform us that their child had made the ultimate sacrifice. We had 3 that never returned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator