New witness comes forward in the Cook case

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
[h=2]Dalvin Cook's defense attorney demanded speedy trial because of new witness[/h] By Bud Elliott
@SBNRecruiting on Aug 10, 2015, 12:34p 45

usa-today-8260009.0.jpg
Bob Donnan-USA TODAY Sports

Cook could return to Florida State's football team in September if he prevails at trial.

Tweet (85) Share (564) Pin

Ricky Patel, the attorney for suspended Florida State running back Dalvin Cook filed a demand for a speedy trial (DST) Thursday in Leon County for Cook's charge of misdemeanor battery stemming from an allegation that he punched a woman outside a Tallahassee bar in July.
The filing of a DST signifies that a defendant is immediately ready to go to trial. Cook's case could go to trial even before his scheduled arraignment date of September 2. If Cook is found not guilty, he could return in time for Florida State's first game of the year, September 5 against Texas State.
So why did Cook's defense team wait to file the DST until Thursday? Tomahawk Nation asked Patel Monday.
The answer? Cook's defense team was waiting on the State Attorney to provide them with discovery relating to the identification of Cook.
But the need to wait for that discovery changed after Cook's defense became stronger thanks to a new witness, Patel said.
"An independent witness came forward after the release of the 911 call and directly refuted some details of the call and claims of another witness," Patel said.
Specifically, Patel tells Tomahawk Nation that the witness claims to have been present for the entire altercation; that Cook did not strike the accuser; that the only battery he witnessed was a woman strike receiver Travis Rudolph; and that he was actually having a conversation one of the alleged witnesses as the altercation was unfolding.
If the witness testifies to what Patel claims he has said, the testimony would bolster Cook's defense. Tomahawk Nation was unable to verify Patel's claims regarding the witness, and they appear here as reasoning behind Patel's strategy to file a DST after initially waiting.
Filing a DST is often an indicator of a defense being confident it can prevail at trial, as defense attorneys often try to drag cases out, as it increases the chance that witnesses forget or change their recollections, etc.
Florida State took two team pictures during Media Day Sunday: one with Cook and one without.
Cook received several accolades in 2014 as a true freshman, including All-ACC Second Team (Media), All-ACC Third Team (Coaches), Athlon Sports All-Freshman Second Team, Campus Insiders All-Freshman Team (HM) and College Football News All-Freshman Team (HM).

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Marianna said:
[h=2]

"An independent witness came forward after the release of the 911 call and directly refuted some details of the call and claims of another witness," Patel said.
Specifically, Patel tells Tomahawk Nation that the witness claims to have been present for the entire altercation; that Cook did not strike the accuser; that the only battery he witnessed was a woman strike receiver Travis Rudolph
;

Yeah.... and I'm sure the delusional semi's will believe this as Gospel...

Wonder how much they agreed to pay this "independent" witness? Or maybe they just gave him free season circus tickets for life...

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, this witness has been bought off.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Nothing suspicious here. New witnesses show up weeks later all the time.

dr-evil-right.gif

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Alagator;n258630 said:
Yeah.... and I'm sure the delusional semi's will believe this as Gospel...

Wonder how much they agreed to pay this "independent" witness? Or maybe they just gave him free season circus tickets for life...

It's real convenient for FSU that this "Good Samaritian" decided step forth after all this time. smfh!!!!

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This just in, a picture of the new witness has been released, his name is supposedly James Bob.

Attachments

• conv_4043.jpg
    conv_4043.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 56

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I wonder if the victim will even be willing to go forward on this if it means she would have to testify and the possible backlash etc.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Gator Fever;n258711 said:
I wonder if the victim will even be willing to go forward on this if it means she would have to testify and the possible backlash etc.

Unfortunately It will end up being thrown out and he'll be on the field game 1.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Marianna said:
Unfortunately It will end up being thrown out and he'll be on the field game 1.

If she does refuse to go forward resulting in Meggs dropping the case I bet we will get the token 2 game suspension against Texas State and South Florida with some BS statement from Jimbo about they won't tolerate players being in situations like that. :lol:

Dec 10, 2014
Gator Fever;n258729 said:
If she does refuse to go forward resulting in Meggs dropping the case

The victim doesn't have a choice on whether it goes forward or not. Once a prosecutor files, the decision to go forward is made. The only thing that could change Meggs' mind at this point is if she came forward and said she lied. That is highly improbable. The prosecution has three witnesses. One of them is an independent witness. Although the independent witness cannot identify cook, he can say the victim was punched. That is extremely powerful. A jury will be instructed on who has a bias in the case. If the prosecution can link this witness to Cook (which they may not be able to) the witness will look silly.

As a side, this hotshot Miami defense attorney made one of the most boneheaded mistakes I've ever seen on a case with this much media attention. He indicated that Cook would sue this victim when he's found not guilty. That suit is never going to happen which makes the statement that much more befuddling., Saying so just it made it more difficult for Cook to testify. The prosecutor can blow him up on cross asking him questions about how he has a motive to not the tell the truth so he can go after this defendant civilly once he gets his desired verdict.

That comment by the defense attorney was a shocking and apparent show that the defense attorney lacks trial skill.

As a side, if I'm Meggs I would subpoena Bimbo in to interview him

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n258729 said:
If she does refuse to go forward resulting in Meggs dropping the case I bet we will get the token 2 game suspension against Texas State and South Florida with some BS statement from Jimbo about they won't tolerate players being in situations like that. :lol:

If the case is dropped, he'll be reinstated faster than you can blink. He won't miss any games.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
PatDooleySucks;n258739 said:
The victim doesn't have a choice on whether it goes forward or not. Once a prosecutor files, the decision to go forward is made. The only thing that could change Meggs' mind at this point is if she came forward and said she lied. That is highly improbable. The prosecution has three witnesses. One of them is an independent witness. Although the independent witness cannot identify cook, he can say the victim was punched. That is extremely powerful. A jury will be instructed on who has a bias in the case. If the prosecution can link this witness to Cook (which they may not be able to) the witness will look silly.

As a side, this hotshot Miami defense attorney made one of the most boneheaded mistakes I've ever seen on a case with this much media attention. He indicated that Cook would sue this victim when he's found not guilty. That suit is never going to happen which makes the statement that much more befuddling., Saying so just it made it more difficult for Cook to testify. The prosecutor can blow him up on cross asking him questions about how he has a motive to not the tell the truth so he can go after this defendant civilly once he gets his desired verdict.

That comment by the defense attorney was a shocking and apparent show that the defense attorney lacks trial skill.

As a side, if I'm Meggs I would subpoena Bimbo in to interview him

The state wouldn't go forward with no video if the victim won't testify and they don't have multiple witnesses saying that he definitely hit her (no doubt who it was) contradicting his plants. They legally can't do anything in Florida to a domestic violence victim who refuses to go forward with a case and that might apply here also I am not sure but for PC reasons they surely wouldn't do anything if she refused to cooperate any further they would just drop the case if he wouldn't plea to something.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
It just seems logic to me that because this victim was "attacked" in a public place makes prosecution more "required". ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator