NFL Draft

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
And the vols haven't had a player taken in 2 years. The recruiting classes have been more than good enough to put a guy or 2 in the NFL. Jones just isn't a good coach.

They have 18 returning starters next year. Most are Seniors and Juniors. That tells me that whatever talent they do have is sticking around for another year. We better beat the crap out of them this year or this place may have a very high suicide rate that weekend.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Can you or Rex cite a single post that has ever said that "stars don't matter"? All the posters I remember have said that stars are indicative but not determinative. I used to think that the misrepresentation was simply an attempt to spin an argument. I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that the distinction is too subtle for you astrologers to perceive.
Incidentally, I like the article and the idea that a 4* is twice as likely to be drafted as a 3* seems just about right.

Last edited:

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Brian Poole signed with the Falcons:

"Cornerback Brian Poole signed a deal with the Atlanta Falcons. The Falcons selected Poole's teammate and fellow secondary player Keanu Neal in the first round, with the No. 17 overall pick.

The Falcons didn't draft any other defensive backs, and Poole was the only DB signed to a free-agent deal by the team - which could bode well for him."

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Can you or Rex cite a single post that has ever said that "stars don't matter"? All the posters I remember have said that stats are indicative but not determinative. I used to think that the misrepresentation was simply an attempt to spin an argument. I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that the distinction is too subtle for you astrologers to perceive.
Incidentally, I like the article and the idea that a 4* is twice as likely to be drafted as a 3* seems just about right.

:clap:

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Can you or Rex cite a single post that has ever said that "stars don't matter"? All the posters I remember have said that stats are indicative but not determinative. I used to think that the misrepresentation was simply an attempt to spin an argument. I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that the distinction is too subtle for you astrologers to perceive.

Wow. That's all I can say. Let's just avoid the pissing contest. You're absolutely right.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Yeah, the "we love 2 and 3 stars" crowd know deep down that they are just making excuses for piss poor performances by our recruiters.

16 five-star players (12 drafted -- 75.0%)
72 four-star players (15 drafted -- 20.8%)
44 three-star players (5 drafted -- 11.4%)

rockinchair

Dec 11, 2015
There was a graphic floating around before the draft that stated UF leads the SEC in first round picks with 46 in the common draft era. Alabama was second with 44, I think. We increased our lead there, which is pretty cool I think.

I looked but can't find the graphic. I think it was posted by SEC Network on Twitter or something.

Also, the SEC had the most players drafted for the 10th straight year. The Big 10 came in second. Without Urban's players from OSU, it wouldn't have even been close.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Right. Because posters on a message board who have no control over who does and does not get recruited, much less signed, choose to try to make the best of the situation, it's a bad thing. We see everything you see, we just choose not to endlessly bitch about it. I love 5* recruits, doesn't everyone? And Bullard loved the 1st round, oh well.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Right. Because posters on a message board who have no control over who does and does not get recruited, much less signed, choose to try to make the best of the situation, it's a bad thing.

I feel it was more the attitude that Mac really wanted these 3 star guys over those 5 star guys. I think that is what some people may have had an issue with. We all know that is total BS. Find all the silver linings you want but don't flat out lie to people's faces.

EDIT: And I'm not saying you in particular. It just seemed like some were trying to spoon feed that BS.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
This thread has helped me understand my disagreements with Law and others and I am more at peace, now, with our differences. As a scientist I always detested "argument by authority". What Aristotle or even Newton thought, however praiseworthy, means little to the confirmation of the Standard Model or the nature of Dark Matter. Others argue from authority, in this case the rating services. This is particularly true in the law, I think, where stare decisis reigns. I suspect this accounts for a good deal of our different attitudes and points of view.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Falcon's get starting heavy hitter in Neal and dime back in Poole... I like it!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.