NJ congressman investigating potential tax code violations in paying huge sums of money to coaches

Fun N' Stun

Nov 15, 2014
This will end up going nowhere. Football makes these universities a lot of money (except for Miami where they raid the university for money to pay for football). Just look at the TV deals these conferences have. A lot of money is coming in. Also football pays for every other sport and brings in a lot of money to the local economy from games.

Tax exempt doesn't mean you can't pay a lot. The NFL is tax exempt yet pays its commissioner 20 million a year. The ceos of red cross and salvation army are getting paid a lot also.

Also the players now get stipends and earn endorsements plus they still get free college. The top players, which generate the revenue, get paid a lot through the NIL.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Sounds like a lefty trying to cause division between coaches and players. Go after Goodwill and people like that.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You have three seconds to read the entire story after the initial pop up.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
Our UAA is separate from the university it self, but I'm not sure if its tax exempt. My guess would be it's not.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I thought it sounded more like a jilted ND fan who doesn’t hesitate to abuse his position to further his personal grievances…..

fischerwood

Wake me when we fix this mess
Sep 5, 2014
If you want to kill the snake, you cut off it's head. Is the head even identifiable in these cases? There is so much money to be made with these deals, I'm afraid the train has left the station...go Gators...:jog:

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Burn it all down and start over....

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
Here is the jist of it.

“Undoubtedly, most of the activities undertaken by LSU further the university’s exempt purposes,” Pascrell said in his letter to Tate. “However, recent reports about compensation that LSU will pay its current and former football coaches have raised significant concerns about whether the university is operating consistent with its tax-exempt status.”

Could they lose their tax exempt status?

He also wants answers to 25 questions designed to ascertain if all this money and upgraded facilities benefit all students and advance the University mission.

Here is the letter to USC & LSU. Pascrell Probes Whether Colossal College Coaching Contracts Consistent with Tax Code
I could see this getting traction. Especially as the economy and free money starts drying up.

kepler

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
it will go nowhere. if someone were seriously questioning compliance with their 501c status the IRS would conduct that audit. this is a congressman trying to get his name heard. that said congress could enact changes to the tax exempt code but we know how likely that is.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
He looking into academic exemptions extended to football players.? Accidental arson - burn it down.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
:lol: Whoa boy, I can just hear the LSU fans' reaction to a Congressman from New Jersey, who looks like Bernie Sanders to them, poking his nose around in their beloved football team. I'm sure it reminds them of the "agitators" who used to come down there during the 1960s. :lol:

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Well, yeah, the pendulum needs to swing back the other way. But, do you really want to trust someone from NJ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.