Recruiting NSD 2020 Thread: Zach Evans goes to TCU

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Mullen is a good to very good coach, and in my opinion the 2nd or 3rd best Xs and Os coach in the SEC. The issues I see with him are as a CEO. The time has past where you can have a great Football guy, who is a marginal CEO to complete against the elite schools. That's not to say Mullen is a bad CEO, just there is a difference between being the CEO at the different tier of schools. I mentioned earlier in the thread to compare ourselves against the 130 D1 schools is a false dataset to measure against, because the tier our organization is on only has roughly 10-20 peers. In year three, the issues with have assistants not pulling their weight in recruiting on the field should have been fix being they were on the initial staff. That is part of being a CEO, though as guys have left he has brought in better guys. He currently shown a lack of detail and a lack of fortitude to make the hard decisions that need to be made by removing those who can't hack it. He complains about it to the media, but stands pat. To me that shows the difference between a coach/CEO that is good (2-4 lose coach on average) and great/elite (1-2 loss coach on average). This is year three, the excuses about the previous staff are now null and void.

I don't necessarily disagree with anything there. I do see a learning curve in progress though, in that there are fewer very high risk recruits in this class, as well as an increase in the number of highly ranked kids - including the #1 player in Florida. I do understand the frustration with the continued presence of Knox and English in particular, and I'll be pissed if they aren't replaced or at least demoted ASAP. We have yet to see what happens after the dust settles with the staff evaluations and the new hires that are reported to be in the works. I strongly agree that a good CEO knows his weaknesses and surrounds himself with people who help him to overcome them. Although DM has made some very good moves in my opinion, he has hurt himself badly with those two and must get it right or face the real possibility that he will eventually fail. We really are approaching the moment of truth in that specific regard.

Oscar the G

Nov 7, 2018
How many great college football CEOs are there? How many are realistically available? I understand the dislike for a couple coaches, but wha0t are the realistic options assuming Mullen is ok with his current staff for 2020?

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
It would be interesting to study what other successful coaches have done throughout their transitions and progress--how they've managed their staff, who they retained, etc.
I know Meyer brought some of his staff with him to UF from Utah, not sure what Saban did from Michigan State to LSU.

Just considering the college coaching transitions, although how the NFL experience affected the decision-making process (like Saban to Bama) might be interesting as well.
Just a thought.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
It would be interesting to study what other successful coaches have done throughout their transitions and progress--how they've managed their staff, who they retained, etc.
I know Meyer brought some of his staff with him to UF from Utah, not sure what Saban did from Michigan State to LSU.

Just considering the college coaching transitions, although how the NFL experience affected the decision-making process (like Saban to Bama) might be interesting as well.
Just a thought.

Saban brought only a few of his MSU staff to LSU, he hired several younger guys (Muschamp, Jimbo, Dooley, Pelini) who did not coach at MSU. A lot of the MSU staff was retained when they hired Bobby Williams to take over for him in 1999 (ironically, that 1999 MSU team beat UF in the Citrus Bowl w/ Williams serving as interim head coach). Saban's LSU staff's also included Mel Tucker, Sal Sunsuri, Mike Haywood, and Pete Jenkins.

Meyer brought several from Utah (and from BG to Utah, including Mullen). But at both stops (BG & Utah) one of his assistants took over and kept a few of the coaches. So Meyer only brought a few with him - not the bulk of his new staff. I've pointed this out about Meyer, when he took the Ohio State job...just one year removed from UF, he only hired one on-field UF assistant (Drayton). He did hire Marotti though as S&C.

Mullen brought practically his entire MSU staff, which was a big mistake. Brewster is also a former assistant, although a good one (unlike Knox)....and so is Turner (both worked for him at MSU).

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
How many great college football CEOs are there? How many are realistically available? I understand the dislike for a couple coaches, but wha0t are the realistic options assuming Mullen is ok with his current staff for 2020?

Again you are looking at the wrong data set, we are competing against all of the NCAA, only roughly 10-20 schools. If you are comparing against the 130 D1 schools that number will be a small percentage. But most schools especially the lower tier P5 and non-P5 you can still get away with a good football guy and poor CEO.

Oscar the G

Nov 7, 2018
I'm asking you to tell me what you think the data set should be. Everybody wants saban&meyer, I get that. Who is the next saban or meyer? No one has that answer, but we assume UF messed up by not hiring him.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
I'm asking you to tell me what you think the data set should be. Everybody wants saban&meyer, I get that. Who is the next saban or meyer? No one has that answer, but we assume UF messed up by not hiring him.

Dabo is the only one close to those guys. The rest of the groups are average coaches. Fans who think we should have Saban/Meyer results are the ones who will never be happy.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The reason why some of us didn’t like the Mullen hire is because of a high floor/low ceiling issue. He doesn’t risk enough and/or is innovative enough to outscheme the talent differential. And he doesn’t care enough about recruiting, and his actions have spoken loud enough.

if Mullen would have come in here with Gonzalas, Hevesey, and Grantham, while keeping Seider and bringing in some stud recruiters, we’d have changed our tunes. Yes he’s made quality replacement hires, but that’s being done thru attrition.

I’m glad we’re 11-2, but those two games are critical and we weren’t that close. I’m glad so many are happy there, because it’s about all we can expect unless Kirby really F’s up

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
The reason why some of us didn’t like the Mullen hire is because of a high floor/low ceiling issue. He doesn’t risk enough and/or is innovative enough to outscheme the talent differential. And he doesn’t care enough about recruiting, and his actions have spoken loud enough.

if Mullen would have come in here with Gonzalas, Hevesey, and Grantham, while keeping Seider and bringing in some stud recruiters, we’d have changed our tunes. Yes he’s made quality replacement hires, but that’s being done thru attrition.

I’m glad we’re 11-2, but those two games are critical and we weren’t that close. I’m glad so many are happy there, because it’s about all we can expect unless Kirby really F’s up

We lost to a Sugar Bowl team and a National Champion. I'd argue that with a little more talent, we could overcome those games. Our BC% is getting better and the floor of talent is rising. We just need to hit on the elite players.

With all of that said, who would you have hired over Mullen at this point? Not like the hire? That's fine but of all the options, I don't think we would have found a better coach.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We lost to a Sugar Bowl team and a National Champion. I'd argue that with a little more talent, we could overcome those games. Our BC% is getting better and the floor of talent is rising. We just need to hit on the elite players.

With all of that said, who would you have hired over Mullen at this point? Not like the hire? That's fine but of all the options, I don't think we would have found a better coach.
That’s a flaccid argument. We are significantly behind in talent. You don’t win championships with two regular season losses. We’ll likely lose to UGA again this year.

Oscar the G

Nov 7, 2018
no one wants to answer this question, because it opens them up. Who is even on the list besides fleck? A guy who has never recruited the SE and has never coached big boy football?

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
That’s a flaccid argument. We are significantly behind in talent. You don’t win championships with two regular season losses. We’ll likely lose to UGA again this year.

Significantly behind? Hardly. Behind, yes.

While we're not pulling in all the elite talent, our floor has increased significantly under Mullen. That closes the talent gap but needs to be closed even more with elite players.

I'm still waiting for you to answer the question. You don't like Mullen, so who would you have hired that would have us any further along then where we are? You're the type of fan that seem to forget that Mullen didn't inherit a stacked team. He inherited a team that was stocked full of 3 stars and underdeveloped guys. Is Mullen doing enough to win a National Title? No. I think we both agree to that but we are improving the talent level and depth of the roster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.