Number of new scholarships available?

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
MacArthur Burnett signed his paperwork today for early entry and will play cornerback for the Gators.

The 5-foot-10, 180-pounder from Pahokee visited UF last weekend and reaffirmed his pledge after taking trips to Auburn and Louisville.

Last month Florida announced the signings of early enrolleees Stone Forsythe, Chauncey Gardner, Josh Hammond and Freddie Swain to their written offer of admissions.

Gators commits Feleipe Franks, Dre Massey, Jordan Smith, Mark Thompson and Kyle Trask will also enroll at UF in January.

10 EE's is fabulous. Gives those guys a much better chance of being able to contribute in the fall, after their second set of practice iterations. It also means they've paid attention to classes and their grades along the way.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
10 EE's is fabulous. Gives those guys a much better chance of being able to contribute in the fall, after their second set of practice iterations. It also means they've paid attention to classes and their grades along the way.

So, err, ahh, ahem.....I guess you ..ummmm.. ahh...like my post??

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
--12 can count back to last year as EEs because we only had 73 scholly players this season.
--10 left from the 2012 signing class run out of eligibility.
--02 RSr's from the 2011 class, Thurman and Showers.
--04 grad transfers finished, McGee, Halter, Anthony Harrell and Josh Grady.
=28

Questions or corrections?

This seems to be a difficult number to pin down, ranging from 25 to 35 by the same writers from one article to the next....

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This seems to be a difficult number to pin down, ranging from 25 to 35 by the same writers from one article to the next....

Yep. Goldkamp says 28. Spivey says 32. Nobody knows. Not even the NCAA. It's a moving target.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's really not difficult at all. We CAN take 32 or 33 (I'm not sure about Imatorbebbe's status).

We CAN always take 25 and however EEs can count back to last year (and remember that some of last year's EEs counted back also).

The issue of hitting the 85 ceiling is another one. Your counting of RSr's and transfers and subtracting 73 from 85 and all that has nothing to do with anything. The formula for countbacks is how many less than 25 the previous class had.

Also, remember that the 85 limit doesn't apply until the fall.

Goldkamps answer of 28 makes no sense at all. I'm sure you misread something. I think that might be the number we are losing for sure plus the number less than 85 we were this year (12), but that answer would be nonresponsive to the question of how many can we sign. The truth is that even if we sign 32, we won't be at 85 next year by the time we lose some to the NFL early and some of the trash is tossed overboard.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
It's really not difficult at all. We CAN take 32 or 33 (I'm not sure about Imatorbebbe's status).

We CAN always take 25 and however EEs can count back to last year (and remember that some of last year's EEs counted back also).

The issue of hitting the 85 ceiling is another one. Your counting of RSr's and transfers and subtracting 73 from 85 and all that has nothing to do with anything. The formula for countbacks is how many less than 25 the previous class had.

Goldkamps answer of 28 makes no sense at all. I'm sure you misread something. I think that might be the number we are losing for sure plus the number less than 85 we were this year (12), but that answer would be nonresponsive to the question of how many can we sign. The truth is that even if we sign 32, we won't be at 85 next year by the time we lose some to the NFL early and some of the trash is tossed overboard.
Clear as mud. :scratchhead:

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Here's his article regarding the 28 that he published today:

https://florida.247sports.com/Bolt/Clearing-up-confusion-on-Floridas-maximum-class-size-42108414

Gator CPA

Nov 16, 2015
What is Mac offering these kids? Lifetime supply of Krispy Kocaines on 13th St? LOL! Been a long time since we've had this many recruits and now we're cherry picking! Good going Coach Mac!!!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think his interpetation is wrong on multiple fronts, but I will check some stuff this weekend. I dont have time tonight (or tomorrow). This interpretation reminds me of those morons thinking that they were going to fine Grier and additional year of eligibility.

Moreover, if this interpretation were correct, especially with transfer being "counters" we simply cant afford to take trash like Josh Grady. If this is right we are already full it seems (and should be unable to sign Kyle Trash and some other wastes).

If this is correct, we are going to be 10-15 under the scholarship limits again next year. Hell, even if we take 32, we will still be short due to early entrants to the NFL, transfers and flotsam we toss overboard.

Hell, if this interpretation were true, you'd never be able to get to 85 scholarships because you could only sign 25 per year and most schools are going to have more than 6 per year transfer, early entrant, quit, medical, whatever.

Last edited:

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think his interpetation is wrong on multiple fronts, but I will check some stuff this weekend. I dont have time tonight (or tomorrow). This interpretation reminds me of those morons thinking that they were going to fine Grier and additional year of eligibility.

Moreover, if this interpretation were correct, especially with transfer being "counters" we simply cant afford to take trash like Josh Grady. If this is right we are already full it seems (and should be unable to sign Kyle Trash and some other wastes).

If this is correct, we are going to be 10-15 under the scholarship limits again next year. Hell, even if we take 32, we will still be short due to early entrants to the NFL, transfers and flotsam we toss overboard.

Hell, if this interpretation were true, you'd never be able to get to 85 scholarships because you could only sign 25 per year and most schools are going to have more than 6 per year transfer, early entrant, quit, medical, whatever.

Im not so sure about it either. I think the number is 32.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
According to the NCAA we can have 28 NLI's from NSD to May 31st, the number by the SEC is 25. Not including the EE that are going to account against last years scholarships. If we only had 22 scholarships last year, that means either 3 or 6 of the EE will count to this year. So 25+3 is 28, or is it 28+3 is 31, or is it 25+6 is 31, or 28+6 is 34 as the limit?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.