Nuss linked to Fresno State Job

KronoGator

Aug 28, 2014
Neither Michigan or Alabama were sorry to see Nuss leave, not seeing anyone making him the head coach.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Please enough with the guys who only care about running 300 plays a game and have no desire to help their defense. Yes I know defense is frowned upon in the Big 12, but look where it has gotten all these defensive geniuses like Stoops and Strong. I won;t even get into the Chip Kelly fiasco in the NFL b/c he also hates defense, but lets please hire coaches who understand the etitre team concept. If all you care about is running a thousand plays a minute, then you better score every single time you have the ball b/c once the 3 and outs begin your team is toast!!!!!

I can't argue with your logic, espcially after watching Okie vs T Tech last night. I was just offering a potential name who has a history of being a decent OC.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
The 3rd qtr? Yes. Up by three scores, a third string QB, and your defense playing lights out, most coaches go conservative.

It wasn't the 3rd string QB, it was the backup, who happens to be a grad transfer with D-1 starting experience. Secondly, "most coaches" don't go conservative and start playing prevent offense at the START of the 3rd quarter on the road with a 18 point lead. If you think that's the case you don't know much about football. You make it sound like we were up by 40 at the half. Third, the defense playing "lights out" as you claim is subjective...and wrong. Tennessee was shooting themselves in the foot with dropped passes, turnovers and stupid penalties. Make no mistake, though, they moved the ball on us and would have been within a TD or less at halftime were it not for their miscues.

Last edited:

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
This would be bad for us. But its not going to happen so keep dreaming.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think both Threat and Gator in GA make good points. Despite Threat's joke, offensive execution has been an issue (and part of this is on the QB's). GA is also spot on about the 2nd half of the UT game and putting it on ice way, way too soon. This also belies series in most all games that have been head scratchers in terms of having no flow or imagination along with those that really click. Kinda makes you feel like the offensive think tank isn't as tight on their plan or lacks confidence in certain players and their ability to make plays in particular situations.

If Nuss gets another gig, then good for him. It'll only be good for us if the replacement is an upgrade and the success of the hire, if necessary, will be in part contingent on how much better the players who will be the expected playmakers next year are. A lot of moving parts that have to be in sync for whoever is in charge of the O to be more successful IMO.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I hope we don't get nappier to replace him if he goes. He hasn't been a very good coordinator in the past.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
The Fresno job is Lane Kiffin's to lose. He's been linked to that job as early as this past week.

Honestly, I think most of us can think of 20 or more OC's that have more impressive resumes than Nussmeir does. Why is he a candidate for a D1 head coaching job? Because he's been an OC at UF, Alabama, and Michigan? I don't think any of those fan bases are very impressed w/ his offenses. Not sure why an AD would be either. On that note though, I'd be happy to see him move on.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
It wasn't the 3rd string QB, it was the backup, who happens to be a grad transfer with D-1 starting experience. Secondly, "most coaches" don't go conservative and start playing prevent offense at the START of the 3rd quarter on the road with a 18 point lead. If you think that's the case you don't know much about football. You make it sound like we were up by 40 at the half. Third, the defense playing "lights out" as you claim is subjective...and wrong. Tennessee was shorting themselves in the foot with dropped passes, turnovers and stupid penalties. Make no mistake, though, they moved the ball on us and would have been within a TD or less were it not for their miscues.

Agreed that the defense playing "lights out" is a misnomer. We were lucky in the first half. So you go into half time and make adjustments for the D to tighten it up. Who amongst you doubted our D? But it's also a misnomer that the play calling was conservative in the 3rd qtr. For your review:
3rd quarter
1st drive started on the 10. Not throwing the ball was more smart than conservative.
2nd drive started on the 25. 2 passes, one inc, one for a loss of 4.
3rd drive started on the 13, AA gets sacked 3 plays later
4th drive started on the 25 and ended 3 pays later again with an AA sack.

4th qtr
5th drive starts on the 25, AA throws an INT.
6th drive, 2 complete passes on first series but penalty forces us to punt
7th drive - TD
8th drive - 2 incomplete passes and we turn the ball over on downs.

We attempted passes on every series except the first. So what exactly was conservative about that play calling. Looks a helluva a lot like execution was the problem.

At the end of the day we scored 28. Im pretty sure that if you go back and look a the prediction thread everybody had 28 as more than enough points to beat UT. We lost by 10 which I'd more blame on Dawson and Tabor than the offense. Everybody, and I mean everybody, expected our DBs to eat Dobb's lunch.

To cover's point if anything Mac has had too much confidence in the line. He's challenged them many times and they've come up short. Excuse time is over for them and Summers. And LDR, who anywhere else is a 2nd string QB, can't have another day like he had against Missouri. Execution is a much bigger problem than play calling.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Agreed that the defense playing "lights out" is a misnomer. We were lucky in the first half. So you go into half time and make adjustments for the D to tighten it up. Who amongst you doubted our D? But it's also a misnomer that the play calling was conservative in the 3rd qtr. For your review:
3rd quarter
1st drive started on the 10. Not throwing the ball was more smart than conservative.
2nd drive started on the 25. 2 passes, one inc, one for a loss of 4.
3rd drive started on the 13, AA gets sacked 3 plays later
4th drive started on the 25 and ended 3 pays later again with an AA sack.

4th qtr
5th drive starts on the 25, AA throws an INT.
6th drive, 2 complete passes on first series but penalty forces us to punt
7th drive - TD
8th drive - 2 incomplete passes and we turn the ball over on downs.

We attempted passes on every series except the first. So what exactly was conservative about that play calling. Looks a helluva a lot like execution was the problem.

At the end of the day we scored 28. Im pretty sure that if you go back and look a the prediction thread everybody had 28 as more than enough points to beat UT. We lost by 10 which I'd more blame on Dawson and Tabor than the offense. Everybody, and I mean everybody, expected our DBs to eat Dobb's lunch.

To cover's point if anything Mac has had too much confidence in the line. He's challenged them many times and they've come up short. Excuse time is over for them and Summers. And LDR, who anywhere else is a 2nd string QB, can't have another day like he had against Missouri. Execution is a much bigger problem than play calling.

Good breakdown.

The 2nd half collapse is simple: our OL got it's ass kicked. (and the D played like ass, but this discussion is about the O)

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This would be bad for us.
How? Do you really think its hard to find some other dumazz who can cook up a 100th ranked offense at Florida or Meatchicken?

I suspect some of the people who post on this board could do that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.