Nuss linked to Fresno State Job

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not entirely sure Nussmeier can't be effective but the offensive line is going to have to be much, much better, and I don't see that happening for the foreseeable future. So who do you blame for our failure at not being further along? Nussmeier for going stupid conservative in second halves or the average recruiting or the suspect coaching of the offensive line or the lack of depth on defense?

I think you have to look at the big picture.

It all comes down to Mac, and although he has a 15-5 record at Florida midway through his second year -- that's nothing to sneeze at -- he's been feasting on unranked teams and has yet to notch a signature win against a top 10 opponent.

Sorry but that doesn't cut it at Florida. We gauge success by how often we beat Tennessee, Georgia and Florida State and by how many SEC appearances and (more important) crowns we notch. We expect to be relevant. Is that asking too much at this stage? I don't think so.

We're a rich university with a rich tradition and fertile recruiting in our backyard. It can and should be happening. Why isn't it?

Mac will definitely get a next season but if he doesn't head into it with more of a tailwind, I'm not feeling bullish on his chances of a fourth season.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Chip Kelly's college record is 46-7. And Oregon has fell to shcit without him. Saban and spurrier both sucked in the nfl.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not entirely sure Nussmeier can't be effective but the offensive line is going to have to be much, much better, and I don't see that happening for the foreseeable future.
Nussmeier put together the 40th ranked offense with Bammer's stable of OL and backs.

He was effective even with huge talent advantages as both Bammer and Meatchicken (relative to the rest of the Joke10 for Meatchicken).

Last edited:

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
But it's also a misnomer that the play calling was conservative in the 3rd qtr. For your review:

We attempted passes on every series except the first. So what exactly was conservative about that play calling. ........,,,,
Execution is a much bigger problem than play calling.

In your original post that I replied to, you implied that we went with conservative play calling to start the 2nd half because "most coaches go conservative" in that situation. Now in your reply above, you're saying we didn't go conservative and you're asking me to explain how we went conservative?!? You're not making any sense.

The bottom line is this; while I appreciate you posting the play breakdown of the 3rd and 4th quarters, that doesn't tell even half the story. What you posted doesn't take into account how long the passes were (screens v 15 yard passes v deep balls), it doesn't account for things like down and distance, it doesn't take into account creativity, it doesn't take into account the rhythm of the game, it really doesn't take into account much of anything, other than pass v run and yards gained. Anybody watching that game could see firsthand the offense was much more conservative in the second half compared to the 1st. Sure, field position can impact play calling as can things like O-line play, but the cioaches should have various plays in their back pockets that account for these disadvantages. We're not the first team to start on our own 10 yard line in Neyland Stadium. If it was our own 1 yard line I would agree that passing isn't smart but passing from the 10 is fairly common.

As far as the stats you posted regarding the 4th quartet, you can throw those out...we were forced to pass b/c we were so far behind. If anything, any success we had throwing in Q4 proves my point...we had success throwing the ball in Qs 1,2&4 so we shouldn't have abandoned the pass in Q3 and the first half of Q4.

Regarding people thinking our DBs shutting down Dobbs, not sure why people would assume that would happen. We made him look like a superstar a year ago in G-ville which is what we typically do with average QBs. Why would people assume this year in Knoxvillle would be any different?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Neither does he, against teams with decent defenses.
Link?

The fact that you schlubs would turn your nose up at Chip Kelly after what we've had to deal with for six years is laughable and embarrassing.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Good breakdown.

The 2nd half collapse is simple: our OL got it's ass kicked. (and the D played like ass, but this discussion is about the O)

When your O-line is getting its' ass kicked, a good OC adjusts the play calling to keep the defense on its' heels with creative play calling. You don't keep running handoffs to the RB straight up the gut.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Chip Kelly's college record is 46-7. And Oregon has fell to shcit without him. Saban and spurrier both sucked in the nfl.
None of that sh!t matters if you ain't doin it in the South.....HIs record would be .500 if he coached in this conference.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If Nuss leaves, what are the odds that SOS tells Mac...."you know coach, I had some luck calling my own plays, maybe you should try it"

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
None of that sh!t matters if you ain't doin it in the South.....HIs record would be .500 if he coached in this conference.
Malzoun and sumlin are pretty similar to Kelly in coaching style or the only comparison i can give you in this conference. Outside of saban, I'd have to say they've been the most successful. Even Saban has sped up his offense. Meyer ran an even simpler offense in this conference.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Malzoun and sumlin are pretty similar to Kelly in coaching style or the only comparison i can give you in this conference. Outside of saban, I'd have to say they've been the most successful. Even Saban has sped up his offense. Meyer ran an even simpler offense in this conference.
Auburns dreams are going to get crushed at the end of the year just like TAMU's and UT's did by Bama....Those teams will have a nice year every 2nd or 3rd year but they will always get crushed by a team that is built around sound power football principals and recruits players that want to go to the NFL.....

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
EDSBS-Les-Miles-Nod.gif

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
I hear Pease is available and would love a second chance:eek4:. Since he had a crap problem to work through to I guess we got rid of him to soon. Good god the fans on twitter are either crying for him to stay or expecting a landmark higher if he leaves. Apparently he is our best recruiter according to some of them. Would love to see that come to fruition.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Auburns dreams are going to get crushed at the end of the year just like TAMU's and UT's did by Bama....Those teams will have a nice year every 2nd or 3rd year but they will always get crushed by a team that is built around sound power football principals and recruits players that want to go to the NFL.....
Bama crushes everyones dreams. Thats why I said outside of saban, they've been the most successful. But those 2 and freeze (another spread guy) are the last in the conference to beat saban. You're not going to beat saban unless you spread them out. I can't remember ever seeing a team lining it up amd running it down there throats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.