Oceangate sub implodes on way to Titanic

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
On another similar note. The Challenger crew did not die in the explosion but on water impact after falling 35,000 feet. Too much time to think and nothing do about the outcome.
Never heard that. That would utterly suck. I'd try to take (a little) solace knowing I'd be going down (literally) in history.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
This B-52 crash occurred because the pilot over reacted to the autopilot disengaging. The wing snapped off and the crew compartment separated from the rest of the fuselage. One of the deceased crewmember was thrown clear of the airframe and fell 27000 feet without a parachute. Probably not conscious for most of that. Another attempted to eject but the violence of the disintegration bent the seat rails and the seat separation failed. His hands were burned and he couldn't effect a manual separation. Rode the seat to the ground. Ah, the romance and chivalry of flying. But I do miss it, surely.

Last edited:

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Never heard that. That would utterly suck. I'd try to take (a little) solace knowing I'd be going down (literally) in history.
Parts of the accident report were never released so the public would not know. Judy Resnik was seated behind the commander and per procedure and training, turned on his emergency oxygen after the explosion. The crew capsule was recovered intact from the ocean floor.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

I’m not so sure there’s any solace at all though. Yelling at the top of your lungs to your fellow astronauts, “hey, they’ll probably make a specialty license plate or something for us after all this” as you plummet to your death is bad anyway you slice it.

GatorCatsi

¡No más tacos gratis!
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2016
I've read that they had a power failure and may have known the worst was coming for up to 71 seconds before it imploded.
I saw something similar. If it's true that the father cajoled his unwilling son into taking the trip, I can imagine nothing worse than knowing for those last 71 seconds I was the reason he was about to die.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I saw something similar. If it's true that the father cajoled his unwilling son into taking the trip, I can imagine nothing worse than knowing for those last 71 seconds I was the reason he was about to die.
that part was true. the son was scared as hell to get on that thing but it was father's day and his dad was obsessed with the titanic and had wanted to do an expedition for most of his adult life so the son felt like it would devastate his dad if he didnt go with him.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
that part was true. the son was scared as hell to get on that thing but it was father's day and his dad was obsessed with the titanic and had wanted to do an expedition for most of his adult life so the son felt like it would devastate his dad if he didnt go with him.
I think that was all from an "estranged sister" of the Dad. I'm pretty sure it turned out that the Mom was actually on the ship on the surface and that that story was BS.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Strip nekkid, run up and down the aisles screaming "GO GATORS!!!!"

Doubtful anyone will video you, musch less try and restrain you. Video would likely be lost in the impact anyways. However, it'll give the investigators a ton of questions.
And what if the plane miraculously doesn’t crash?

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Or whomever is in the seat next to me. Guess it doesn't really matter at that point!
Jake Gyllenhaal Love GIF

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The Navy knew on Sunday. Why not just say it then? An incredible amount of time and energy went into a "rescue" mission.

The pundits are saying, "well, we cant reveal our secrets." Everyone on the planet knows about sosus. And we still "revealed" it on Thursday that the Navy knew on Sunday.

The story gets weirder by the minute.
Bureaucrat mentality.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Imagine the guilt that kid would have felt if he hadn't gotten onboard that sub. After his dad died he would continually think that his dad really wanted him to go along but he wouldn't do it.

Would have been the smartest decision he likely would have ever made...but didn't...

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
Between the unlivably thin air, the panic, the cold, and the force of the explosion, it is my fervent hope they all lost consciousness immediately.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Between the unlivably thin air, the panic, the cold, and the force of the explosion, it is my fervent hope they all lost consciousness immediately.
Dija see the part about Reznik turning on the oxygen. The accident report did not specifically say they were conscious or unconscious, but the pressure vessel remained intact until surface impact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator