Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Size of the Titanic compared to a typical modern day cruise ship

iu

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019

I think I heard this right…there is no GPS location device aboard the submersible; it’s guided by text messages from a surface vessel.
$250,000 ticket price per person and it relies on texting.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
I saw a weird LinkedIn post about how our Navy and others are blocking rescue attempts by withholding a particular rescue vessel from the effort...

(edit: She works for OceanGate)

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
C'mon I'm sure more than half the members on this board still have their newspaper clippings and can recite the initial radio broadcast when the Titanic went down.....:rotfl:

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think I heard this right…there is no GPS location device aboard the submersible; it’s guided by text messages from a surface vessel.
$250,000 ticket price per person and it relies on texting.
I doubt gps signals reach very far underwater. I believe they use a system of triangulation off of known points using acoustics, along with inertial accelerometers and such.

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
I doubt gps signals reach very far underwater. I believe they use a system of triangulation off of known points using acoustics, along with inertial accelerometers and such.
I took the lack of gps from a news report…the same that said they relied on texting for communication & navigation. Both did seem strange so I looked up the dive of the Trieste bathyscaphe in 1960 to the bottom of the Mariana Trench, a depth of almost 36,000 ft (3 times the depth of the Titanic site) with two crew members. Communication was by “sonar / hydrophone” voice communication system. It took 7 seconds for a voice signal to reach the surface.
Trieste (bathyscaphe) - Wikipedia. They used electromagnetic release ballast—in event of current cut through switch or elect system failure, the ballast automatically releases and the buoyant craft returns to the surface.
Those 1950’s engineers with their slide rules and pocket protectors were amazing.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
C'mon I'm sure more than half the members on this board still have their newspaper clippings and can recite the initial radio broadcast when the Titanic went down.....:rotfl:
No, but every time I watch that Titanic movie that dumbass Captain hits the iceberg every damned time, and that dumb broad Rose never moves over to let Jack on that piece of wood, the bitch has plenty of room, every damned time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.