Oceangate sub implodes on way to Titanic

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Kids today will never know….

I believe that was ripped out and replaced in the park.

They sunk one the originals at their private island in The Bahamas in their snorkeling lagoon. It was a trip seeing it down there.

IMG_2746.jpeg

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I've read that they had a power failure and may have known the worst was coming for up to 71 seconds before it imploded.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Could it have hit bottom hard enough to cause the implosion?
I'm not an engineer but, IMO, I think it imploded prior to hitting the bottom. When the electricity failed then I would think that all systems for pressurizing the sub also stopped working so the outside pressure overcame the inner pressure soon afterwards.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
I'm not an engineer but, IMO, I think it imploded prior to hitting the bottom. When the electricity failed then I would think that all systems for pressurizing the sub also stopped working so the outside pressure overcame the inner pressure soon afterwards.
So, if you pressurize a vessel to withstand the outside pressure, the inside pressure must approximate or equal the outside pressure. Do you see the problem with your premise? Inner pressure was never more than one atmosphere, the structure of the hull is what resisted the outside pressure. Until it didn't. Whether the "crew" was having a nice conversation about topside tea or pissing in their pants in the cold dark is irrelevant. The implosion killed them instantly.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
So, if you pressurize a vessel to withstand the outside pressure, the inside pressure must approximate or equal the outside pressure. Do you see the problem with your premise? Inner pressure was never more than one atmosphere, the structure of the hull is what resisted the outside pressure. Until it didn't. Whether the "crew" was having a nice conversation about topside tea or pissing in their pants in the cold dark is irrelevant. The implosion killed them instantly.
Well, I DID say that I am NOT an engineer so...

:fistbump:

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
What more likely happened is that they lost all power meaning propulsion and then the sub nosed down as the weight of the 5 passengers was biased towards the nose. So unless it imploded without any warning at all which is unlikely, they were probably in pitch black darkness and all falling on each other as the thing nosed down and dove rather rapidly until crushing. Horrible way to spend your last seconds of life.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
What more likely happened is that they lost all power meaning propulsion and then the sub nosed down as the weight of the 5 passengers was biased towards the nose. So unless it imploded without any warning at all which is unlikely, they were probably in pitch black darkness and all falling on each other as the thing nosed down and dove rather rapidly until crushing. Horrible way to spend your last seconds of life.
Yep, That's even worse than the doomed passengers on the Titanic, who were dead long before the wreck hit the bottom.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
I though the IMplosion was more like "squish, just like grape" and would be instantaneous.

Horrible way to die.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
I though the IMplosion was more like "squish, just like grape" and would be instantaneous.

Horrible way to die.
Practically instantaneous. The brain would disassociate before the pain impulse (nerves don't send impulses at the speed of light) from the receptors could reach it. Got a good explanation of that phenomenon from a F-111 accident report. The jet had flown into a sheer cliff and the crew experienced more than 400 Gs of deceleration. No pain. The horribleness in this situation, if the transcripts are real and accurate, would be the sitting in the cold and dark knowing that you were going to die from something soon. Either loss of oxygen, loss of heat or a hull implosion.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
On another similar note. The Challenger crew did not die in the explosion but on water impact after falling 35,000 feet. Too much time to think and nothing do about the outcome.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
I've read that they had a power failure and may have known the worst was coming for up to 71 seconds before it imploded.
Makes me think of the stupid dark thoughts I have on airplanes. What TF am I going to do for the 30-45 seconds (or minutes?) knowing this chunk of metal I willingly boarded is falling and the sudden stop at the bottom is the end of me. I hate flying!

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
What TF am I going to do for the 30-45 seconds (or minutes?) knowing this chunk of metal I willingly boarded is falling and the sudden stop at the bottom is the end of me.

Strip nekkid, run up and down the aisles screaming "GO GATORS!!!!"

Doubtful anyone will video you, musch less try and restrain you. Video would likely be lost in the impact anyways. However, it'll give the investigators a ton of questions.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Makes me think of the stupid dark thoughts I have on airplanes. What TF am I going to do for the 30-45 seconds (or minutes?) knowing this chunk of metal I willingly boarded is falling and the sudden stop at the bottom is the end of me. I hate flying!
I would suggest prayer and repentance if the Good Lords gives that much time. Can't count on that though so now would be a good time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator