Offense.....moving forward?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I'll be the first to say it, I think, we are no better at this point than we have been for the last 2 years.
While I like some of what Mac has brought here I think it (the passing game) is predicated off being able to run the ball especially on first down. Well, we've seen in the last 2 games that is not happening, and I'm not sure it will until the offensive line gets more experience and gels as a unit. One problem is we aren't using much if any play action even when we try to throw the ball downfield regardless of the down and we aren't using any screens to the RB's. If we can't find a way to get the ball to Robinson, Powell or Callaway more than 5 or 10 yards down the field the box will just get more and more crowded as the season goes on. WR screens and short passes to the TE's, which seem to be a staple of this type of offense, will also become more and more difficult until three and outs are inevitable.....Right now our most productive 2nd and 3rd down plays are nothing more than QB scrambles and we've all seen where that leads once we start playing loaded boxes with bigger and faster defenses.

I realized going into this season that this would more than likely happen but I expected it maybe around the Ole Miss-LSU games. We actually played a lot better offensively against UK last year and since they had a lot of returning defensive players I thought it would be a little tougher, but 14 points leave me wondering what we can do to be a somewhat functional offense throughout this season. Any ideas?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Brett Bulimia getting shamed on a weekly basis really has you down, huh?

You don't run play action when you have a weak OL. They are penetrating already. That just causes sacks. You run quick passes to take the heat off the OL.

Never fear, Mac knows a lot more than you.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Not really surprised figuring it would be at least year 2 before the mess Muschamp left on offense could be squared away but the offense so far has definitely been worse than last year by the numbers and the eye test. I doubt it gets too much better this season in reality.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Law98gator;n281959 said:

You don't run play action when you have a weak OL. That just causes sacks. You run quick passes to take the heat off the OL.

No because he will figure out what he has to do to right that team despite a sh!t ton of injuries......I'm a little more worried about how we're going to keep from getting shut out against OM, LSU, Mizzou, UGA and FSU....Any ideas?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n281959 said:

You don't run play action when you have a weak OL. That just causes sacks. You run quick passes to take the heat off the OL.

Did you sense a strong Nuss factor last night. I didn't really think about it much but I see some others think you could see his play calling from the past last night.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
To say we're no better off than the last 2 years might be the dumbest thing I've ever read on this forum. We knew our OL was going to be a problem for us and it makes it extremely tough to create enough time for a downfield passing game. Our QB play is far superior than the prior years along with the play of our receivers has drastically improved, as well.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
MJMGator;n281966 said:
To say we're no better off than the last 2 years might be the dumbest thing I've ever read on this forum. We knew our OL was going to be a problem for us and it makes it extremely tough to create enough time for a downfield passing game. Our QB play is far superior than the prior years along with the play of our receivers has drastically improved, as well.

Say what you will but we had a ton more yardage and points against UK last year...There has to be a more productive way to get the offense going IMO.

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;281962 said:
Not really surprised figuring it would be at least year 2 before the mess Muschamp left on offense could be squared away but the offense so far has definitely been worse than last year by the numbers and the eye test. I doubt it gets too much better this season in reality.

The offense worse than last years...? We have our issues but not nearly as bad as that. We just have to convert red zone possessions into TD's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n281969 said:
Say what you will but we had a ton more yardage and points against UK last year...There has to be a more productive way to get the offense going IMO.

Love ya Crete, but when you've proven you have no clue what good coaching really is.
157691232.0_standard_709.0.jpg

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
We have seemed to try and go a little up tempo at times but then we ran thud-thud type plays instead of spreading the formations and going with a quick passing game like we did against NMSU at times....

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
TheBigClaw;n281970 said:
The offense worse than last years...? We have our issues but not nearly as bad as that. We just have to convert red zone possessions into TD's.

The numbers tell a different story even with us playing Bama on the road as our 3rd opponent last season. Our passing and rushing numbers were both better through 3 games last season.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Getting only 14 against KY does not bode well for the games coming up. Can't have INT in the red zone, can't miss FG. We left too many points on the field that will causes a L against better teams. KY is KY, where as Ole Miss, LSU and others on the schedule are much better.

My hope is Summers bring them along like last year, there was improvement as the year went on. RB's and WR need to move north and south more, forget the dancing.

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;281976 said:
The numbers tell a different story even with us playing Bama on the road as our 3rd opponent last season. Our passing and rushing numbers were both better through 3 games last season.

Maybe so but let's face it, it was incompetent for the most part. No better than this one IMO especially with who we had at QB for half the year....

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
MJMGator;n281966 said:
Our QB play is far superior than the prior years along with the play of our receivers has drastically improved, as well.
Not sure about this. Grier has more upside and a very good chance of being a top performing QB in the future but right now our best play seems to be him scrambling for a 1st down here and there and red zone area is still just as much of a problem.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
MJMGator;n281972 said:
Love ya Crete, but when you've proven you have no clue what good coaching really is.

Well they(good coaches) can't win them all like Saban....oh, wait...

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n281976 said:
You can't compare last year with this year.

This HC was left a team that had zero OL left. We are forced to play true freshmen and two guys (Dillard and Riles) who aren't any better than the the true freshmen. We knew our OL was going to suck. There just isn't an offense you can build that overcomes that.

This year is about glimpsing into the future and imagining what it will look like with a solid line in 2017 or so.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n281972 said:
:rotfl:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I have to say I'm pretty surprised at the negativity, although I shouldn't be I guess. We got these kinds of debbie downer posts even in 2008 when we were dominant.

Despite all the sloppiness, I'm much, much happier with what I've seen so far. It's not even in the same ballpark as the Muschamp years. I can actually look to the future and see a real offense emerging, with coaches that actually know what they're doing. We all knew we were in for some tough times with that OL - and yet we still managed to win on the road.

We're going to lose some games this season, but I really think we're building something. I'm pretty excited about the future. I'm excited about Will Grier, I think he's going to win a lot of games for us. He looked like a freshman last night but showed a lot of toughness that is going to earn the respect of his teammates.

The game was a step forward, no matter what the haters think.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n281998 said:
I have to say I'm pretty surprised at the negativity, although I shouldn't be I guess.
He is so depressed that he can't even open a Bulimia thread.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n282000 said:
He is so depressed that he can't even open a Bulimia thread.
It's not just him. Claw and Fever are Harris guys, so naturally they are going to rip the offense because they feel the wrong QB is playing. As soon as we lose they will inevitably start a "We lost because we aren't starting Harris" I-told-you-so thread.

In the instant gratification society we are in now, we don't expect freshman to play like freshman anymore. They have to be instant world beaters. The experience Grier is getting now is going to pay off big time next year and beyond.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.