Offensive line. Any options?

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
There is only so much you can do with 3 star kids. They were recognized as flawed and not great prospects for a reason.

That being said, you can:

Less big pulls, less big reaches, less combo blocks w reads by the lineman as to who climbs to second level, less sideways shyt that requires great agility

More straight on blocking (you hit the guy on your nose, your left, right whatever, meaning you know before the snap who you hit), less option plays when we leave a lineman unblocked, a fullback hback WHO CAN BLOCK (do we have one?) to clean up.

On the line Id say our strength is (relatively) size and strength over speed. This indicates more inside stuff and less sideways offense. Our backs are more straight ahead types too. We will see whether Mullins adapts or continues bullheadedly with philosophy over production.

One wonders why he wasn't aware of this already as in by spring practice. I keep expecting someone to adapt but we are sixteen games in and no adaptation yet.
Opinion on Zipperer? He seems to be the guy they trust lead blocking in the heavy package down on the goal line, and I haven’t seen him whiff a block yet.

I’d like yours and @ltraz ’s thoughts on him maybe filling that role. I’ve been baffled that he’s been that guy instead of Gamble or Lang, since they seem to be more of the blocking tight end/hback types, but it is what it is.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
Option 1.) Steroids. Old fashioned, I know. We aim to get some of the good stuff that Clemson uses to defeat Bama.

Option 2.) West World like Robot-substitutes. By the time they have re-watched WW enough to understand what's going on, we will have caught Bama in MNCs.

Option 3.) Wait til next year! Stupid Leatherwood.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
What this team needs is a fullback or H back that can move and block. Our TEs aren't cutting it.
I've never understood for an offense in which you hope to run the ball 70% of the time, if not more, you recruit small hybrid tight ends, not a damn one of which can block, and frankly they can't be expected to block at 230 or 240 lbs versus an SEC defensive end (real DE, not ours)

Our tight ends should look like Iowa's.

I wonder if the problem is that our offensive line (incliding tight ends) look good against our micro DL in practice.

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Why not add a recruiter that can get OL and let Hevesey do why he does...coach and develop OL. You saw what he did last year....a line that could not block air the year before.
Exactly, I saw what he did last year which is why I think we should move on. On most plays last year as soon as the ball was snapped the DL was in the backfield. Franks and the RB's had to avoid the rush and make plays on their own. I saw very little improvement over Davis OL coaching. In every post game press conference last season, Dan consistently stated we needed better OL play...

From Robbie Andreu:

1. Will the Florida offensive line, which has given up only two sacks in two games, be able to protect quarterback Feleipe Franks?

Franks may have been sacked only once, but he spent a lot of his night scrambling out of the pocket to avoid the rush. And, of course, on the fourth-down try late in the third quarter, the offensive line collapsed around Franks, he was bent backward short of the first down and sustained a dislocated ankle that has ended his season. So, no, the big guys did not protect their quarterback.

Last edited:

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
I've never understood for an offense in which you hope to run the ball 70% of the time, if not more, you recruit small hybrid tight ends, not a damn one of which can block, and frankly they can't be expected to block at 230 or 240 lbs versus an SEC defensive end (real DE, not ours)

Our tight ends should look like Iowa's.

I wonder if the problem is that our offensive line (incliding tight ends) look good against our micro DL in practice.
We’re 51% to 49% pass to rush right now (not that you’d care, doesn’t further the narrative). Last year was run heavy - 42% to 58% pass to rush - but we were significantly better at run blocking. As much as it probably pains you to see it, stats show that he’s adjusted to his OL so far. We’ll see what happens as the season progresses.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
There is only so much you can do with 3 star kids. They were recognized as flawed and not great prospects for a reason.

That being said, you can:

Less big pulls, less big reaches, less combo blocks w reads by the lineman as to who climbs to second level, less sideways shyt that requires great agility

More straight on blocking (you hit the guy on your nose, your left, right whatever, meaning you know before the snap who you hit), less option plays when we leave a lineman unblocked, a fullback hback WHO CAN BLOCK (do we have one?) to clean up.

Donkey is stating something that I have said for a long time. Mullen did this with Leak back in 2005/06. He wasn't the best Spread QB by any means (Leak). Perhaps now that Trask is in there this can be part of the offense. But until we recruit some more Hosses on the Line this will be what has to be done. Part of it is the backs too. An example in the UK game the other night, FF keeps on a read and Heggie pulls. Clearly block his guy out towards the perimeter. Instead of planting a foot and hitting the hole and get to the goal line, he tries to keep running wide.I find it hard to believe that if you line up with TE, FB/HB, and put Trask under center that a RB cannot get 3-4 yards in the run game. The OL can be in stance and fire off the line. This spread blocking can be troublesome for this OL. I am not saying ditch the spread but line up and blow some azzes off the LOS. Couldn't hurt. And BTW, RB's quit dancing around and plant that foot and hit the hole.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.