Gator Basketball *** Official Basketball: Gators vs Providence ***

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
White certainly used his roster differently tonight. The team that played tonight would not have lost 3 games.
Have to check the box scores to find out who did how? I know White finally let Jitoboh play. He did well, big, tall, hinders shooters without foul. I have not seen Jitiboh make excess mistakes. He plays under control., interfers vwith shooters without jumping. Also, he's a great mass that can be a defensive blockage but also for our speedy guys to use to cut around to the basket.
Mann & Glover did there driving part & gave us 23 pts together.

This style is our "baby steps" improvement. Brewer is amazing. Watch him, his feet touch the floor for the smallest duration. He will come along wonderfully. Play a few more convincing like this and we'll be similar to what was predicted at preseason.

I'm thinking what these good-guys did was show coach White how they play best. He went with that and had a great time directing this symphony. Did y'all catch White racing witn the flow courtside, shouting "reminders" to prevent mental lapses. These young kids surely need coach-reminders during plays. Besides sharpening their play, it is a continuous reminder that their HC is involved co-joined with their success.

Our next opponent is 10-2, Utah State. Now that's a team UF's beating would be a real statement.
I hope White continues to make me baldfaced wrong about White. Oh the struggles I go through for this team.

After Utah State, we face Long Beach State (3-8) .... then Bama (4-5) ... then USCe (7-4) boy I insist we beat USC.

Go Gators, teach your coach well.

Last edited:

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Good Quad 2 win that moved us way up the KenPom rankings which the NCAA committee looks at big time. Refs really wanted a share in the action in the game. Without all the free throws for Prov, we win by 50 easily but still trashed them by 32 points, something we have been desperately looking for from this team. The offense was crisp in spots and we were able to score 83 points which for this team is really good. Our defense was Amazing vs a P5 team from a great conference. Overall a good win with some great performances from KJ, Mann, and Glover.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
We brought 83 points to the show. Gator D ruined Providence's shot accuracy = FG 25.9% ... 3s 5.6%. Gators shot FG 50.9% ..3s 44.4%... FT 70.8%
We did all this with Blackshear playing only 17 minutes for 7 points. (He'll come roaring back.)
Gator freshmen played 91 of our 200 minutes and scored 36 of our 83 points. So our 3 sophs scored 40, Blackshear 7. That is really upbeat.

These youngsters should watch the film of this game. Let's get better than tonight even.
SEC play coming soon and games will come rapid-fire, gaps of 3 days then 4 days again & again.
Go Gators. Go White, try to keep up with these kids.

Last edited:

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Congrats on the win, but let's be realistic. This Providence team will finish around or below .500. We should beat them by 30. It is good to see Mann getting it going.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Now this is what I expect to see happen. A 10-2 Utah State is up next. I expect the Gators to do the same....I hope.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
Congrats on the win, but let's be realistic. This Providence team will finish around or below .500. We should beat them by 30. It is good to see Mann getting it going.

I definitely understand the point you're making; though I'd counter with: we beat Towson (5-5), Saint Joseph's (2-9), and Marshall (4-6) by a combined 20 points. We won yesterday by 28.

Cruising comfortably to victory--even against overmatched opponents--is something we've struggled to do this year. That's why yesterday's performance was so encouraging IMO...now the tougher part will come to do it versus tougher competition AND with consistency from game to game.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Win by 32 when Blackshear is in foul trouble, give up 21 offensive rebounds and the opposition shoots twice the free throws speaks to the dominance of the defense and efficiency of the offense tonight. Very good win even if it was a mediocre opponent.

I didn't catch the foul trouble, but was wondering why Blackshear was out so much of the first half (shouldn't be a surprise when the usual reason is foul trouble AND this game was over on whistle counts). Mediocre opponent is correct. When the other team shoots 1/18 (5.6%) from three, and hits half as many shots as we do while shooting about as many attempts, it is going to be a lopsided score - despite all the fouls called (both ways, eventually). We had very active defense, very quick and aggressive (though not to the point of earning all the fouls called on us to open the game, IMO) - but a HUGE part of the lopsided score is Providence simply didn't have enough talent to keep up (and our talent finally started showing).

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
White certainly used his roster differently tonight. The team that played tonight would not have lost 3 games.
Have to check the box scores to find out who did how? I know White finally let Jitoboh play. He did well, big, tall, hinders shooters without foul. I have not seen Jitiboh make excess mistakes. He plays under control., interfers vwith shooters without jumping. Also, he's a great mass that can be a defensive blockage but also for our speedy guys to use to cut around to the basket.
Mann & Glover did there driving part & gave us 23 pts together.

From watching live, Jitoboh played like a mountain - big body moving slowly and without a lot of thought. Came across as very raw. Maybe as quick as he can be for his size, but his hands aren't there yet, and his feet aren't there yet either. Noticeable step down on team performance with him on the floor, but none of our bigs really made a presence (Blackshear might, if he stayed out of foul trouble). The others need to make more of their minutes, and show improvement.

Mann & Glover were a treat to watch. Gives some hope looking to the future.

I'm thinking what these good-guys did was show coach White how they play best. He went with that and had a great time directing this symphony. Did y'all catch White racing witn the flow courtside, shouting "reminders" to prevent mental lapses. These young kids surely need coach-reminders during plays. Besides sharpening their play, it is a continuous reminder that their HC is involved co-joined with their success.

Disclaimer - I never played and don't know much about basketball, but I do know about running set plays, or that motion should be opening things up (challenge the defense to cover or get burned). The first half had a few half court sets which all started the same way = Nembhard dribbling atop the arc, a guard and big standing on the top corners of the key; guards run a specific route (same route every time, it seemed) which swirl one under the basket the other over the top of the key both using the bigs for screens. This is apparently 'coaching' (players wouldn't run in circles unless told), but it is wholly ineffective every time. Nembhard, every time, would hold the dribble until they ran their routes = nobody got open for anything; then the team would settle into the stand around offense we've normally seen. So it appears White is trying to run some things to open up players, but either the players run them poorly (likely) or they simply aren't effective routes (also likely).

Once they ran their routes, and we settled into the 'stand around and make something up' offense, we prevailed on talent (some advantage) and hustle (big advantage) last night rather than team execution. There were moments of 'stand around' where White was noticeably in their collective ear about moving and not standing - specifically, who needed to move where. This tells me the team was either tired (great hustle, but a buncha subs says this should not be) or they aren't quite grasping how to move and create intelligently as a team, rather than individual talent. And, it shows me he IS trying to teach them.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Gator freshmen played 91 of our 200 minutes and scored 36 of our 83 points. So our 3 sophs scored 40, Blackshear 7. That is really upbeat.

Not Playing:
Gak - Injured Jr
Duruji - Transfer Jr
Appleby - Transfer Jr
Klatsky - Fr (token time at best, but I've not seen him on the court)

Playing:
Blackshear - GradTransfer Sr <Starter>
Bassett - Jr
Nembhard - So <Starter>
Locke - So <Starter>
Johnson - So <Starter>
Payne - Fr
Mann - Fr
Lewis - Fr <Starter>
Glover - Fr
Jitoboh - Fr

Our rotation includes Blackshear & Bassett and ALL underclassmen. I'd expect Fr and So to get a bulk of the playing time. The next question in my mind is which are back with us next year? Though, I do like Duruji & Appleby practicing this whole season with the team in prep for the next 2y.

But, I get your point. We expected our returning So players to be impactful, but the freshman are using the playing time they are getting in order to make an impact as well, rather than leaving us hoping they develop (HA!) by next year to be of use. White did recruit a good team.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Anybody else catch when the announcer was bragging on Scottie Lewis, saying that at track Lewis high-jumped 6'6.5" and ran the 100 in 10.6, and the 200 in 21.6. Scottie has 5 brothers & 7 sisters! Wow on both those sentences.

Last edited:

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
From watching live, Jitoboh played like a mountain - big body moving slowly and without a lot of thought. Came across as very raw. Maybe as quick as he can be for his size, but his hands aren't there yet, and his feet aren't there yet either. Noticeable step down on team performance with him on the floor, but none of our bigs really made a presence (Blackshear might, if he stayed out of foul trouble). The others need to make more of their minutes, and show improvement.
Mann & Glover were a treat to watch. Gives some hope looking to the future.
Did a little research to see which big men have been performing and who hasn't. Based on 20 minutes per game, I calculated points and rebounds for the 4 big men so far this season.
Blackshear (26.8 min/game) = 9.5 pts / 5.9 rebs
Payne (13 min/game) = 6 pts / 5.3 rebs
Bassett (9.3 min/game) = 3.2 pts / 7 rebs
Jitoboh (3.9 min/game) = 5.6 pts / 3 rebs
*Again, the pts and rebs above are based on 20min/game.

Looks like Payne is the #2 big man at the moment and I'm pretty pleased with his performance as a raw true freshman. Needs even more minutes, some of Bassett's preferably.
Agree on Mann & Glover; they're a good change of pace for this team when Nemby needs a rest or the pace needs to quicken.

Last edited:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
His ceremony isn't until 7pm but he was supposed to send in -- wonder if the paper is jammed.
By a roll of stamps.

Ok good. So now, everyone--staff included--has only two more years.
MSU takes lots of jucos to raise their school's grade point average,

I have 17 year old triplets @AuggieDosta @GatorByMarriage
How do you tell them apart when there's 17,17 and 17?

I thought many on here claimed Brown was a lock for us.
He couldn't pick the lock.?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Did a little research to see which big men have been performing and who wasn't. Based on 20 minutes per game, I calculated points and rebounds for the 4 big men so far this season.
Blackshear (26.8 min/game) = 9.5 pts / 5.9 rebs
Payne (13 min/game) = 6 pts / 5.3 rebs
Bassett (9.3 min/game) = 3.2 pts / 7 rebs
Jitoboh (3.9 min/game) = 5.6 pts / 3 rebs
*Again, the pts and rebs above are based on 20min/game.

Looks like Payne is the #2 big man at the moment and I'm pretty pleased with his performance as a raw true freshman. Needs even more minutes, some of Bassett's preferably.
Agree on Mann & Glover; they're a good change of pace for this team when Nemby needs a rest or the pace needs to quicken.

Worthwhile compilation, Bart.
Payne will only get better with increased court-time. I hope White's crew had better realize that now is the time to play these ancillary bench-sitters into a complementary force. Blackshear is liable to get in foul trouble in the hard-fought tournament games. These Gators will need a better Jibidoh, a better Payne, even a better Bassett. And Payne will be a force for the SEC Tournament, as well as the March Madness.
Jitiboh has a soft shooter's touch near the basket and wisely rarely shoots unless he's near the rim. The naturally improved Jitiboh will be a "big" help come tournament time. With playing all these freshmen into more shared minutes each, more "ongoing calculations" can be done similar to Bart's to gauge who is gonna develop into a bencher that can be counted on to give White multiple worthy options.

Of course (perish the thought) we may "backslide into how we use to play.?? And all our hopefull constructions are zilch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator