Gator Basketball *** Official Basketball: UF versus Bama ***

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Unless changes are made, I don't honestly see us winning more than 4 games the rest of the year if you look at the schedule. So that puts us at 12-18 to finish the season. Honestly, we probably need to get blown out in a bunch of games so that White gets fired. That is the only way.

What great sig potential!

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Interesting that the announcers showed that Bama doesn't even do the layup line, instead they do 3 pointers instead. We always critized White for having 3 point shooting teams ONLY. Bama killing us shooting 3s, the way I guess White likes to beat teams. @FireFoley , as our coaching guy, what is your take on that?

On another note, with White hopefully gone this year, I am hoping we can get Gregg Marshall as head coach. His teams always play very tough defense and run an uptempo style offense. We desperately need that kind of change of pace in our basketball program.

My take on that is that if that is his style then that is his style. I don;t think you are ever going to win at the highest level in college hoops just back jacking up tough 3's all nite, but you can win games. I really don;t care what your system is, my thing is what does your system do to get you the looks at the basket that you want. How many times yesterday did you hear Jimmy Dykes say we took a bad shot b/c we did not run any offense? Quite a few. And I think Jimmy Dykes is the best analyst in college basketball b/c he talks x's and o's and fundamentals My contention with Mike is that they stand around too much to get any kind of good look. But as I mentioned before if you like Marshall that is fine I have nothing against him. I just do not think Mike is a very good coach. and if winning a game against a below avg. bama team at home changes your view of the team then so be it. My guess is you will see the same type of mistakes in the next game and so on and so on (the Calgon commercial for the rest of the year). Just like Butters lucking up to beat UK when they did not guard our WR's or Butters lucking into the Ut win on a hail Mary b/c Butch Jones would not run the ball. The end result is good, but the problems still exist. And sometimes getting that kind of win just prolongs the inevitable.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
White has assembled final four talent (I have no clue how), but he has zero clue what to do with it. There is a lot more to basketball than jacking up guarded threes late in the clock or early threes with nobody in the area to rebound. When your mommas life depends on it wouldn’t you rather have a player drive the lay up and draw the foul who can hit the free throws?

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
White has assembled final four talent (I have no clue how), but he has zero clue what to do with it. There is a lot more to basketball than jacking up guarded threes late in the clock or early threes with nobody in the area to rebound. When your mommas life depends on it wouldn’t you rather have a player drive the lay up and draw the foul who can hit the free throws?

AB8D13B0-E227-456A-8407-195419C616F5.jpeg

Saw this the other day and was surprised by it. We are getting open looks, just aren’t converting them. I don’t know if it’s due to lack of focus on offense in practice or if it’s a confidence/mental thing with this team. Something’s gotta change and hopefully 2nd half of last night can be that change/spark.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Unless changes are made, I don't honestly see us winning more than 4 games the rest of the year if you look at the schedule. So that puts us at 12-18 to finish the season.

I have us finishing about 18-13 and missing the tourney. A huge disappointment. Wins mean little to me because the same problems aren't getting fixed. While we beat an average bama team, a UK, Barn or Baylor will murder us because Whitey doesn't run an offense. I find it sad that every analyst who calls our games says the same thing about the offense.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Saw this the other day and was surprised by it. We are getting open looks, just aren’t converting them. I don’t know if it’s due to lack of focus on offense in practice or if it’s a confidence/mental thing with this team. Something’s gotta change and hopefully 2nd half of last night can be that change/spark.
You are assuming any shot that isn't a "contested catch and shoot" must be an open shot.

Maybe there is another category that is "contested dribble and shoot"? After all catch and shoot implies a pass which is not something we really do much.

I looked it up and while we are #142 of 350 teams in scoring, we are #307 of 350 teams in assists. Not surprising to anyone who has actually watched us play. Also an indicator that our scheme sucks and we rely on individual talent to score.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
You are assuming any shot that isn't a "contested catch and shoot" must be an open shot.

Maybe there is another category that is "contested dribble and shoot"? After all catch and shoot implies a pass which is not something we really do much.

I looked it up and while we are #142 of 350 teams in scoring, we are #307 of 350 teams in assists. Not surprising to anyone who has actually watched us play. Also an indicator that our scheme sucks and we rely on individual talent to score.

Don’t disagree at all. Unfortunately the ball tends to get stuck with Nembhard dribbling around for 20 seconds while nobody moves.

I did like seeing Nembhard driving towards the end of regulation and in OT. Really opens everything up for us.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014

Wow that is quite an interesting and surprising stat. If a team had a few one on one guys who could get their own easy shot, then I could see it. or a team that has a good low post guy who they constantly feed and let him get his own shot I could see it. We have neither. We do have a guy tho not overly athletic, is a willing passer and for the life of me I can't understand why Nembhard does not average 9 or 10 assists per game. He dominates the ball but most of the time it is just pounding the ball into the floor for 25 seconds before he drives and either pulls up and shoots or goes to the rim. This stat confirms that while Nemby is pounding a hole in the floor, there is no purposeful movement off the ball allowing him potential assists opportunities. Finding guys willing to pass for open looks is rare and when you do have a guy like that you need to make use of it. But as @Bernardo de la Paz said, just another indicator that our offensive schemes blow chunks.

NoGaGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2014
13 games in and this team still has no identity. The Sophs and Frosh are built for a running, fastbreak game. Blackshear thwarts this because his game is slower and they then dump the ball to him in the low post. He then takes 2-5 seconds to move to the basket and get a shot. As soon as they toss it to him in the low post, especially early in the game, he needs to fire it right back out to a perimeter player for a shot. He'll end up getting his shots later because the D won't be able to sag on him since they'll have to defend the 3 pts line. Get Locke out there to hit some early 3's and it'll open it up for everyone. Lewis and Johnson will then be able to slash and drive.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
13 games in and this team still has no identity. The Sophs and Frosh are built for a running, fastbreak game. Blackshear thwarts this because his game is slower and they then dump the ball to him in the low post. He then takes 2-5 seconds to move to the basket and get a shot. As soon as they toss it to him in the low post, especially early in the game, he needs to fire it right back out to a perimeter player for a shot. He'll end up getting his shots later because the D won't be able to sag on him since they'll have to defend the 3 pts line. Get Locke out there to hit some early 3's and it'll open it up for everyone. Lewis and Johnson will then be able to slash and drive.

Nice take, thanks.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Come now this team misses open shots all the time. They miss three point shots and two as well. If they were more consistent in shooting we would have only one loss. Perhaps coach needs to run that three point shooting system that bama uses in practice to increase our shooting percentage. Now I agree that sometimes we don't run offense, if the ball went in nobody would complain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator