Gator Basketball *** Official Basketball: UF versus Bama ***

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
WOW, Gators defender gets elbowed right in the face but gets called for the foul. White goes ballistic for the 3rd time in the game for all the foul calls going against the Gators and finally gets T-ed up.

This was the highlight of the game for me
I have been railing on CMW to fight for his team since he first arrived

Say what you want but if you let them screw you they will kindly oblige.

Standing up for your team, like a coach versus an AD, makes a positive impact on your team and absolutely influences the refs. This is a fact

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Watched the last 10 minutes of the 2nd half and both OTs.

Gotta credit the team for fighting back and focusing down the stretch. Let's hope it translates to renewed belief and is the start of us putting together a good run.

And, it should REALLY be mentioned here: we started our comeback--and took the lead in both OTs--by playing faster-paced bball and just running tempo...heck, even Nembhard got in on the act--and had a career high...

The question is whether or not CMW realizes that playing fast gives you a chance to win

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
The question is whether or not CMW realizes that playing fast gives you a chance to win

It's no coincidence that our team plays better fast: the freshman aren't used to methodical, slow-paced (and complicated) schemes/movement.

Blackshear seems to be the one who "gets it" the most, but he's a Senior grad transfer...of course he's going to pick it up faster.

And it also fits why past players (and some on this team presently) have regressed: White adds more responsibility as one gets older and it overwhelms people who are used to playing more instinctively or on pure talent.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My take on that is that if that is his style then that is his style. I don;t think you are ever going to win at the highest level in college hoops just back jacking up tough 3's all nite, but you can win games. I really don;t care what your system is, my thing is what does your system do to get you the looks at the basket that you want. How many times yesterday did you hear Jimmy Dykes say we took a bad shot b/c we did not run any offense? Quite a few. And I think Jimmy Dykes is the best analyst in college basketball b/c he talks x's and o's and fundamentals My contention with Mike is that they stand around too much to get any kind of good look. But as I mentioned before if you like Marshall that is fine I have nothing against him. I just do not think Mike is a very good coach. and if winning a game against a below avg. bama team at home changes your view of the team then so be it. My guess is you will see the same type of mistakes in the next game and so on and so on (the Calgon commercial for the rest of the year). Just like Butters lucking up to beat UK when they did not guard our WR's or Butters lucking into the Ut win on a hail Mary b/c Butch Jones would not run the ball. The end result is good, but the problems still exist. And sometimes getting that kind of win just prolongs the inevitable.

I agree about Jimmy Dykes

Great analysis AND an excellent new description for smothering defense “Mother in law defense” it’s constantly annoying

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Hit your shots by getting in the Zone. Almost any "scorer" can get "in the zone and hit 50% or more of his shots. The most assured scoring zone is around the basket = inside moves. How we play shows how we are practiced = White's "hands-on". Watch the next game. First, you'll notice how driving to the basket is a low % of our efforts. (teachings of White) Next, notice that those few times when Payne tries the "give & go" where he "hands" the ball off and continues on a scoring drive (without the ball, with his hand up tall) yet his teammate doesn't even look to get Payne the ball for a dunk & get fouled.?? = On display = White's drummed in tactics that a Gator putting it in close inside is the last option to be thinking about. ?? Just the opposite of what a playoff team's style will be.

Gators would gain in enthusiasm and gain in points-scored per possession if they "force" the ball in near the rim. Also, got to teach using the backboard to dampen your shot for higher % scoring. Also, have the other talls to actively expect the scoring chance of "Putback-rebound". On our missed shots we seem uninvolved in the activation that should put-back trigger.

We're poorly and negligently coached day after day - poorly practiced. Taking long bombs can be practiced by players as their own "recreation" time, as can free throws also. Practiced, multi-teammate co-ordination can only work in official practices - but not practices contaminated by White's directorship.

p

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
Hit your shots by getting in the Zone. Almost any "scorer" can get "in the zone and hit 50% or more of his shots. The most assured scoring zone is around the basket = inside moves. How we play shows how we are practiced = White's "hands-on". Watch the next game. First, you'll notice how driving to the basket is a low % of our efforts. (teachings of White) Next, notice that those few times when Payne tries the "give & go" where he "hands" the ball off and continues on a scoring drive (without the ball, with his hand up tall) yet his teammate doesn't even look to get Payne the ball for a dunk & get fouled.?? = On display = White's drummed in tactics that a Gator putting it in close inside is the last option to be thinking about. ?? Just the opposite of what a playoff team's style will be.

Gators would gain in enthusiasm and gain in points-scored per possession if they "force" the ball in near the rim. Also, got to teach using the backboard to dampen your shot for higher % scoring. Also, have the other talls to actively expect the scoring chance of "Putback-rebound". On our missed shots we seem uninvolved in the activation that should put-back trigger.

We're poorly and negligently coached day after day - poorly practiced. Taking long bombs can be practiced by players as their own "recreation" time, as can free throws also. Practiced, multi-teammate co-ordination can only work in official practices - but not practices contaminated by White's directorship.

p
Don't sugarcoat it Rog, tell us what you really feel!

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I guess they read about Rog's game assessment as we had a lot more driving to the basket in the SC game on the road and ran a better offense just like in the 2nd half and OTs of the Bama game. Rog might be able to coach this team to success!

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I guess they read about Rog's game assessment as we had a lot more driving to the basket in the SC game on the road and ran a better offense just like in the 2nd half and OTs of the Bama game. Rog might be able to coach this team to success!

I love Rog but no, just no.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator