Gator Basketball ***Official BBALL Game Thread*** Florida vs Lynn

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
If Omar Payne keeps playing the way he played tonight on defense and rebounding, you may not see much of Bassett at all this season.

He surprised me the most to be honest. He is much more athletic than I thought, and seems to be coordinated (reminds me of a more athletic Hayes)

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
My ESPN+ wasn't working, so appreciate the updates from Lee and the others.

Having Blackshear and Johnson be legitimate threats from deep will really open things up for our offense this season since it'll force them to drag opposing bigs away from the rim or leave at least one open shooter from deep.

Payne looks to be an immediate contributor; and was pleasantly surprised to see Glover pop up on the highlights a few times too. I think his minutes will go down deeper into the season, but giving him some seasoning now will help if any of our guards get in foul trouble or are having an off night.

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
Watched most of the game.

Lynn's Allen was playing completely out of his mind. Our inability to iso him and shut him down was surprising.

Defensively, lots of work to do. Offensively, lots of talent on this team. FT shooting was awful.

After so many season without a deep bench at the 4,5 positions, wow it sure was encouraging to see so many options down low.

The player I was most excited to observe was Scottie Lewis. He didn't even start the game. But when he did come in I was amazed at the selflessness of his play. When a "one and doner" comes off the bench and is content to pass first, you know the team has some good chemistry going.

With Tre, AN, Locke - we have some serious outside shooting threats if CMW wanted to go small and focus on the inside-out passing game.

Very excited for this season!

https://floridagators.com/boxscore.aspx ... n&id=17788

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
My ESPN+ wasn't working, so appreciate the updates from Lee and the others.

Having Blackshear and Johnson be legitimate threats from deep will really open things up for our offense this season since it'll force them to drag opposing bigs away from the rim or leave at least one open shooter from deep.

Payne looks to be an immediate contributor; and was pleasantly surprised to see Glover pop up on the highlights a few times too. I think his minutes will go down deeper into the season, but giving him some seasoning now will help if any of our guards get in foul trouble or are having an off night.
The game was actually on SEC+. Watched it via my Roku.

JCTow

Nov 16, 2017
Didn’t get to watch the game but I watched the highlights. I think we definitely have a national champ contender this year. To me that team looked gooooood. I don’t know much about Lynn or their basketball program, but the athleticism and pure talent on this team is special. Should be a fun season.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
After rewatching the game. I liked a few things. Granted this was Lynn.

1. I think Mann could've scored 30 if he wanted. His game is that smooth. Will CW allow him that kind of freedom as the year goes on? If CW does, will Tre Mann assert himself?

2. Omar Payne isn't just athletic, he is "bouncey" as CW said. He is longer and taller than I thought. Him and KBJ on the court together will make a potent combo. I'd like to see KBJ and him play like Egbunu and Hayes did. Egbunu played post defense allowing Hayes to drift on D. Hayes was at his best doing this.

3. Nembhard looks better on offense. He will never be the kind of scorer Mann has the potential to be. But, defenses will not be able to ignore him this year.

4. We saw more of that stagnant offense. No one moving. With a first year coach, I would blame the players. We've seen this act every single year with different guys. I don't see it changing. So, we'll need Nembhard to overcome White's coaching or Mann asserting himself.

These are just thoughts after an exhibition game.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Anyone impressed with Ques Glover? I'd never even heard of him. He was incredibly quick driving to hoop. The depth on this team is staggering.

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016

I really like the character of our new young guys!

"They told us we have a lot of work to do, which is obvious," freshman guard Tre Mann said about the coach's message after the game. "We played hard, but still have a long way to go. We'll learn from it and grow from it."​

"Fade-away 3s with one leg in the air … not much you can do about that other than move on to the next play," said freshman forward Scottie Lewis,. "We'll have to do that against players better than he was — and is — the rest of the year."

"We take pride in being a top-10 defense as long as Coach White has been here.," added Lewis. "Tonight I don't think we were a top-20 defense. We have to step it up tremendously and that's going to start tomorrow in practice."

The Gators freshman took the defense lapses rather personally.

"I take full responsibility as someone who thinks is the best defender on the team. I have to do better. I have to step up. I let my teammates down," said Lewis. "I have to take more pride, and I have to take more ownership."​

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
"We take pride in being a top-10 defense as long as Coach White has been here.," added Lewis.

I like that Lewis embraces his 'Gatorship' retroactively .... from back when White first arrived. So this team will be a high-loyalty gang? Plus, maybe we have the expansive enjoyment of watching this load of young talent develop into a mega-load of talent. First, let's reek havoc on our SEC opponents, especially Calipari's one/dones.

I want us to develop fast breaks, quick-dunks. Can we be selective enough to be in the Top-5 in 3-pt-% ? Do all those things that revs up the enthusiasm. And can this lead to White becoming a top CBB recruiter? for years to come?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Season is coming fast = UNF .... FSU .... we're starting out as #6 .... will we move up right away? Somebody's gotta get upset? I'm not upset. Are you upset? Lee's got his work cut out for him, but I think this is his year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.